iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

The blues are going around. Sawing some barn siding from standing dead EWP yesterday and today, hit some bad stain.

Errr, uhhhhh, I mean highly valuable incredible quality Denim Pine. Yeah, that's the ticket!

GAB

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 30, 2020, 05:48:58 PM
Hopefully no more than 2 weeks and I'll have my new engine.  Called WM and that was his guess.  He told me to call back in a week and he would check again.  I have so much trouble with people finding my house.  GPS takes people to the wrong place 9 out of 10 times.  No matter how much I tell them not to trust GPS they still go down my neighbors mile long driveway.  My house is kinda close to his driveway as the crow flies, so I guess that's the problem.  Anyway, I asked my wife to make me a decal to put on the mailbox.  At least I can tell people to look for the orange sawblade.

FFOTS:
Would another sawblade on the side of the mailbox help?
Your wife did very good with the decal.
Happy New Year to you and all FF members and their families.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

good point, so it can be seen from down the road.  or on top or hang underneath.  maybe paint up an old blade.  or a big gateway or sign by your drive.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I guess that it is 'bout time to close this 2020 topic out and start a new one for 2021.  Personally our family is ready to kick 2020 in the butt log and see it go. 

Sawing wise 2020 was a very good year.  I consider myself as being part time but I still sawed 41 jobs for a total of 119,950bf.  Four of these jobs yielded 44,299bf and a few others were close to the 10Mbf mark.  There are 19 jobs on the list for 2021, most of which I will actually saw.  One is a holdover and was on the 2020 list beginning last year.  Those Red Oak logs are still there and who knows, I might saw them this next year...maybe not.

How about your recap and then lets bury 2020 with sawdust.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Once again last week I had a Trash Swapping Party with my farmer brother.
I brought him some sawdust, planer shavings, and used crankcase oil.
Frequently I bring back ends of haylage and corn sileage tubes that he stores cattle feed in.
I use these under wood piles to keep moisture away from the bottom of wood stacks and I use some to cover lumber.
I can also use pieces of these tubes under the sawmill, instead of a canvass, to make it easier to clean up.
My trash he uses as bedding and machinery oil, and I use his to protect some lumber.  A win win situation.
As an FYI my brother uses 9' diameter tubes that are 250' long.
GAB 
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks, I'll tell my wife you like her work.  She makes this kind of stuff on her Cricut machine.  It's really kind of amazing what she can do with it.  She made me several new shirts with my business name on them for Christmas.  She can make the stickers, but also iron on stuff.  Another one on the side is probably a good idea.  The left side is where most folks come from, so the fact that the right side is blocked by another mailbox is not a big deal.  I have a lot of problems with people going down the wrong driveway.  GPS takes people to my neighbor, because his driveway runs thru the woods behind me.  I guess GPS system thinks that's my driveway.  It's annoying for him to have all of my customers showing up at his place.  I don't want to put up a real sign that says a business name, because I only want people to find me who I have talked to.

Well, 2020!  It was an interesting year to say the least.  I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.  I would say my sawing was down due to me breaking my tractor this summer and now my mill engine going bad.  The good is that when we were on stay at home orders, I built a drying shed and dried my first 2 loads of lumber from air dried down to about 7%.  That made for some nice sales of slabs.  So, even though my sawing was down I made the most I've made from selling.  That means next year should be a banner year for me.  I'll get my new engine in a few weeks and be able to cut faster.  Then I will add power feed and cut even more efficiently.  Here's to a much better 2021 for myself and all of you!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 31, 2020, 10:15:00 AMI have a lot of problems with people going down the wrong driveway.

Talk to your neighbor and ask if you can put up a sign about 20 or 30' down his driveway that says "Nope, wrong way to the sawmill!" :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

John, that may be the best suggestion I've had yet.  I don't even need to get permission.  My land borders on his driveway.  I could put the sign on one of my trees.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Yes and nail the sign to the tree.  There is nothing like job security!!  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I'll nail the sign to a small tree and it will be my sons problem.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

FFOTS,

Nice decal your wife made for the mailbox but I still don't know how you ironed it on there.  :D Happy New Year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 31, 2020, 05:21:54 PM
I'll nail the sign to a small tree and it will be my sons problem.
Oh come now.
Use hardened screws you want them to remember you don't you.
GAB

Brad_bb

Today was my last day of milling for 2020.  Thank you to everyone on the forum for sharing and letting me share.  This is a good place.

Milling some Osage braces.  here's some side wood.

This one fooled me.  I thought it was a walnut piece.  The sapwood was all rotted away, but being Walnut I knew the heartwood should be fine.  I then trimmed the end to find out it was Cherry!  I milled it and the heartwood was perfectly fine!  I got a 6" square piece of brace stock out of it.

In 2020 I sawed the most wood I have sawn since getting my LT15go in 2014.  This pile was about 65 percent of what I sawed this year.  A lot of Ash 2x8 and 2x6, and some beams.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!