iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken salad.....

Started by Raym, January 20, 2020, 06:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

Out of, well you know.

Every year there are several people who are dear to me, some family, some friends and some really good customers who I make something for Christmas. Each year I try and challenge myself with something I've never done before and this year was no exception. I wanted to make these segmented bowls (10 of them) using walnut and holly. I have plenty of holly but the only walnut I have on hand are expensive 8/4 live edge slabs and didn't want to use any of that. I hate buying walnut because its hard to find any that isn't steamed.

There is this commercial sawyer that saws mostly pine but had sawn some walnut. It was outside with no cover and flat stacked. It was sawn 6/4 actual and most of the pieces were stuck together because of the fungus growing on them. Since I was only going to use little itty bitty pieces, i bought about 200ft of lumber ($100). After resawing to 3/4, I put them into the kiln and dressed them into a bunch of little pieces. I estimate about a 25% waste factor so I wound up buying select walnut for about .65 a bd ft.

I think my project turned out well and they were well received although there was a lot of time involved. Not sure what I'm going to do next year. I did take quite a bit of video of the process and a link is attached if you are curious.

24 segments per ring and 14" diameter, 6" tall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVyzCxj29vs&t=128s
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

A-z farmer

Rayum
That is very nice craftsmanship and your patience is amazing from start to finish on your project.Thank you for sharing your video too it shows your whole process.
Zeke

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Very nicely done. Remind me again "how do I get our your 'Dear to me' list?" :D

I really liked the step using the giant hose clamp to hold the pieces together during drying.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

Obviously he didn't value that Walnut much at all if he left it flat stacked and growing mold and fungus.  So you paid what he valued it at.  Only you made it worth something by cleaning it, drying it, planing it and discarding the waste.

Very nice work sir.

Question: At 2:20 in the video, you are gluing segments.  I can't figure out what you are doing when you apply glue, then tough the piece to a piece of walnut in the center??  What are you actually doing there?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

Very nice piece!  Excellent finish and execution. 

I also do segmented turnings and know how much time you have invested.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

donbj

"Question: At 2:20 in the video, you are gluing segments.  I can't figure out what you are doing when you apply glue, then tough the piece to a piece of walnut in the center??  What are you actually doing there?"

Brad, look at the light colored part with the small dark pieces between them. the glued piece he touches to the dark walnut sticks to one of those skinny pieces and picks it up and you see it in the light colored section
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Brad_bb

Oh, I didn't realize those were little thin strips between the light colored pieces.  So he's picking up those pieces... makes sense now.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Raym

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 20, 2020, 07:58:00 PM

I really liked the step using the giant hose clamp to hold the pieces together during drying.
Funny how many times I have been asked that question.
1 has been a friend and mentor for a very long time who was a former employer who was instrumental in helping me become self employed, One of my favorite people
2 are siblings who even with all of our differences, I glad they are mine.
1 we call sister who my family kind of adopted several years ago. She (and now husband) are now literally part of the family.
2 are owners of the company who account for 65% of my sales
1 is a couple who besides being long time friends, He is our Sunday school teacher who knows as much about the bible as Gene knows about drying wood. She is our music minister who has also committed her time to the many children and youth at our church.
1 is a striper fishing guide with whom we have become friends with and it is because of his help, we have success (fun) on the lake.
1 is one of the dearest ladies I know who was kind of my inhouse assistant when I was employed with #1. I couldn't imagine getting through the day without her help. She has earned a lifelong membership to the "list"
And the most important one is my beloved. All I can say about her is just WOW!

Raym

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 20, 2020, 11:38:07 PM
Oh, I didn't realize those were little thin strips between the light colored pieces.  So he's picking up those pieces... makes sense now.
Yes he is correct. That is one of the holly rings, and with the walnut veneer it becomes 48 pieces to be glued together. the glue tacks so quickly that you kind of have to glob the glue on and make your way around as quick as possible. I think I was able to get those done in just under a minute.

Raym

Quote from: Raym on January 21, 2020, 05:13:43 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 20, 2020, 07:58:00 PM

1 is a striper fishing guide with whom we have become friends with and it is because of his help, we have success (fun) on the lake.
1 is one of the dearest ladies I know who was kind of my inhouse assistant when I was employed with #1. I couldn't imagine getting through the day without her help. She has earned a lifelong membership to the "list"
And the most important one is my beloved. All I can say about her is just WOW!
And just so you know.....Here is a picture of my beloved and what my guide friend means to us. here is a day when the bite was tough!

petefrom bearswamp

That is a right purty bowl and some nice Stripers (i think)
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!