iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Relearning to walk

Started by Bruno of NH, May 25, 2020, 03:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

With the virus hitting all my Dr. Appointments got cancelled.
2 weeks ago I have had enough knee joints or not I'm going to try to walk again.
I have been doing a little a day some days are better than others.
Blocking the pain is tough but if I'm busy some time I can block it out.
I'm thinking about trying to build some knee braces out of ash or aluminum some how.
At least that way I can stand and try to get some strength back in my legs.
I worrie if this goes much longer it will be lost.
They won't be able to help me.
Any thoughts on brace design I will listen to.
Untill then I'm going to push as hard as I can. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sawguy21

Be patient, give your body time to heal. Overdoing it will do more harm than good. An acquaintance had a hip replacement in March and thinks he should still be golfing 18 holes. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

Yea - by far the hardest part is your mind wanting to do something and your body not being able to do so. Been there after I broke my L5 and L4, then during therapy I was hitting plateaus for two years and not able to get past them, frustrating does not begin to describe the feeling.  Mind you I went from being a guy who got paid to jump out of aircraft to being a guy who could not put on his underwear.  It took a toll.  

I can't offer any medical advice, but mentally you have to just get through the next single second, then repeat that one thing, over and over.  Break every task down to one second at a time and focus on finding success within that second - no matter how small.  Time will pass, your body will heal, just don't loose sight of the fact that in this game you get to keep swinging as long as you don't walk away from the batters box.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

I did some more walking today.
Made it up 4 stairs today without my walker.
The walker stayed it the truck today.
The black flies drove me off the mill at 3:00 today.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Hang in there Bruno.
Black flies? what the heck are they.
Seriously they were not bad here this year and seem to be gone now
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on May 25, 2020, 08:45:31 PM
Yea - by far the hardest part is your mind wanting to do something and your body not being able to do so. Been there after I broke my L5 and L4, then during therapy I was hitting plateaus for two years and not able to get past them, frustrating does not begin to describe the feeling.  Mind you I went from being a guy who got paid to jump out of aircraft to being a guy who could not put on his underwear.  It took a toll.  

I can't offer any medical advice, but mentally you have to just get through the next single second, then repeat that one thing, over and over.  Break every task down to one second at a time and focus on finding success within that second - no matter how small.  Time will pass, your body will heal, just don't loose sight of the fact that in this game you get to keep swinging as long as you don't walk away from the batters box.  
Hang in there buddy! Don't ever give up! Try and keep a positive attitude and don't overdue it working. Just figure out easier ways to do stuff and just take a few more breaks 👍👍👍

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 25, 2020, 03:03:03 PM
With the virus hitting all my Dr. Appointments got cancelled.
2 weeks ago I have had enough knee joints or not I'm going to try to walk again.
I have been doing a little a day some days are better than others.
Blocking the pain is tough but if I'm busy some time I can block it out.
I'm thinking about trying to build some knee braces out of ash or aluminum some how.
At least that way I can stand and try to get some strength back in my legs.
I worrie if this goes much longer it will be lost.
They won't be able to help me.
Any thoughts on brace design I will listen to.
Untill then I'm going to push as hard as I can.
We're the same age. I know exactly what you are going through. Things are opening up. I'm pretty sure that this next month or july at least you can have your regular appointments again. I know it's hard to not do what you were able to do just a short while ago. I went from running 3 + miles a day and could do anything I wanted physically. Could easily out work men half my age to not hardly being able to walk some days or do much of anything in one day. Luckily I'm a realist and haven't suffered a lot of mental anguish over it, but like southside said, look at the small victories.  
Necessity is the engine of drive

Bruno of NH

3rd day in a row I walked around the mill doing things I haven't done in 2 years or more.
Made it up 4 stairs into the house without bear walking.
It wasn't pretty but did it.
Going to do more every day if I can push through it.

Tacotodd

You are the same age as one of my 3 real good friends. He says that his brain thinks it's 19, but his body says 54. I'm similar but worse. I won't get started or I'll end up having my own pity party. That being said, take your time, work smart, relax when needed. The job isn't going anywhere but your remaining health may if you try and push the issue when not necessary. Smell the coffee!
Trying harder everyday.

Bruno of NH

I have been walking and moving alot.
It bit me this weekend both knees are swelled up good.
Once I got moving today it was a small amount better.
But making some progress. 

thecfarm

I sure do wish that someone could help you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

As long as you continue to make progress you'll get there!

Persevere!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

Keep at it Bruno! We are with ya!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruno of NH

I'm walking a little more every day.
Pushing through is tough but feels good in a painful way.
The wobbly knew joints and balance are taking some getting used to again.

Magicman

Stay the course my friend.  Keep your eye on the goal!!   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Stay with it ! 
Dividends later.

dgdrls

Good news Bruno,  don't get overconfident, steady and sure movements

Do you have compressive type braces?

D

Bruno of NH

I don't have any braces
It's hard to find them in my size.
I have looked to have some custom made 
But no one will do it

Bruno of NH

Still walking more everyday
The knees are pretty swelled up but I'm pushing through it the best I can.
I'm so busy I really don't have time to think about till I settle down for the night.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Nebraska

Good job Bruno. Set reasonable goals, they will come.

Bruno of NH

I'm still doing more every day.
Getting in the house walking in is much better than crawling in like I did for a year.
I'm going to keep at it.

Bruno of NH

Had a Dr appointment today.
Walked in and all around the office building today.
On my own.
Got home sawed the rest of the day.
My legs a pooped out tonight.
But it felt good.
The Doc didn't know what to think.

Magicman

Good for you my friend.....steady as she goes.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Awesome news Bruno!!  One second at a time, that's all you need to focus on and before you know it months have passed.  Keep up the good work!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!