iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Knee

Started by Raider Bill, July 21, 2020, 10:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Apparently @Raider Bill got his new knee and  started walking (and similar to what Forrest Gump did with running), he is still walking 'cause he ain't talking. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on October 04, 2020, 09:06:32 AM
Apparently @Raider Bill got his new knee and  started walking (and similar to what Forrest Gump did with running), he is still walking 'cause he ain't talking.
Would it be wise to send someone out on a wellness check of Raider Bill?
It has been a while.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Raider Bill

Well it's been about nine weeks since I got my new knee things haven't been really working out the way I had hoped they would have it's still quite sore. my range of motion is very good I did all my PT and got discharged from that but this son of a gun hurts. not really sure what else to say about it I was going to have my right knee done under the same deductible but now I'm not going to do that because I'm not sure that my legs will have the strength at this time to go through that so anyway I'm alive and well dodging hurricanes and crazy women and there you have it.
My knee was done actually as day surgery I was dropped off at 7:00 a.m. and I was home by 5:00 p.m. that same night the nerve block didn't take so when the spinal wore off I lost all of my pain killing medicines because there was no nerve block working.  I had to stop at Walgreens on the way home to get my hydrocodone or whatever it was 5 mg not very much and things were pretty miserable around here for a little while.  Now I'm limping along singing a song haven't been on a bike in months this is the least amount of time I've been on a motorcycle since I think 1974 the only two trips I've taken was after  my shoulder healed and before the knee I went to Panama City Beach and then we went to St Augustine basically it sort of blows.  anybody that gets two knees done at the same time I certainly got my profound awe whatever because this is not been fun at all.

s
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Bill, mine was done in November and this past deer season which opened in November and closed the end of January was the first time in over 60 years that I never hunted even once.  Yes, I could have gone and sat in the Straw House but I guess that I didn't trust myself climbing a ladder but the fact was, I just didn't want to go.

I agree with you, I could never imagine having both done at the same time even though I know two men that did.  If I had to have the other knee done, I would do it, but I probably would have to have a long talk with myself first.  Knee surgery is no fun.

My range of motion is excellent but if I draw that knee/leg up while I am sleeping, I've got to promptly extend it because it hurts.  I can descend stairs almost as well with either leg and I have very little bother during the day. 

I was told that it would take a year, but it will take much longer and I doubt that I will ever not know that the replacement was done.  That being said, it is much better than before and I am glad that I had it done.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

How all gets better for you Bill.
I may have posted before but I had a bilateral Maakoplasty done in 2014.
Granted it is only a partial replacement but it has been the best ortho surgery I have had done and I have had plenty.
Only involved the inner portion of both knees.
Once again my cheese loving friend, hope it goes better from here on out.
If you want cheese PM me.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sprucebunny

Glad to hear from you, Bill !!! Hope it gets better soon.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Old Greenhorn

Hang in there man, you will get through this.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Good to hear from you!! Yes, some have it easy and some have it hard. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

Glad to hear from you.
Sorry to hear that it did not go as well as we all hoped for you.
Hope things get better.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

samandothers

Glad you are vertical!  Hope your improvement speeds up and you can get on the motorbikle soon  

chet

DanG, good news, Bill is alive.  8)    We were all beginning ta wonder. Hang in there, work it like you stole it, and it will get better.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

trapper

good to hear from you
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Raider Bill

MM, I hear you about sleeping and bending the knee. I'm just now getting so I can get 5 hours sleep without getting up and icing as it swells right up and hurts.

Going down steps leading with my good leg is extremely hard for me. I work at it everyday but have not seen much improvement.

Walking is getting better but my knee cap clacks and clunks like 2 pool balls in there. Got so bad I thought it was coming from my hip.

My Dad had both of his done at separate times then had to have the replacements replaced which he did at the same time. Knowing what I know now my hat's off to him.

I suppose the bright side of this is our Labor day bike trip was supposed to be Glacier NP west to Washington and Oregon then south along the CA coast to the Grand Canyon. Seems everything is on fire along my route so there's that at least.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on March 31, 2020, 08:37:45 PMPain was never really an issue with either, but this '6 weeks in a sling' was a pain in the butt log. Of course now I am finally having to start doing stretches and getting my shoulder back. With the knee, I was discharged after 6 weeks with no restrictions nor limitations. Don't misunderstand, the knee ain't well yet, but right now it is better than what I had before the knee surgery. No question, I would do-over with the knee before another shoulder.

I made the above statement in another topic but I ain't so sure now because it was made only six weeks past my shoulder surgery.  My shoulder may be weaker or it may be that I favor it more and try not to cause any future damage.  I now have very good motion and no shoulder pain.

Without question the knee is better than before my surgery, but I doubt that it will ever be as good as the other knee.  I guess that stuff like this is the dues that we pay for Birthdays.  ;D

Raider Bill

My shoulder is also doing well but like you say I favor it just because..

I've found a real thrill is when this new knee bends backward against the hinge. Can happen just standing still or walking.

Magicman

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 06, 2020, 11:05:51 AMI've found a real thrill is when this new knee bends backward against the hinge. Can happen just standing still or walking.
I found that sensation to get better and actually disappear. 

realzed

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 06, 2020, 08:23:48 AMMy Dad had both of his done at separate times then had to have the replacements replaced which he did at the same time. Knowing what I know now my hat's off to him.
If you don't mind commenting - how successful were your Dad's replacements?
I'm seriously considering having my 'new to me' version replaced and I pretty much have to make a decision on that before or when I see my Ortho-guy middle of next week.
It's certainly not something I want to do and actually I am dreading having to do - but after going on 9 years of pain swelling and stiffness and loss of sleep and walking capabilities I feel I at this point I must give myself a decent shot at getting the knee redone so that it matches the very successful hip replacement I just had done this mid July.
Truly if I thought a knee redo would manage to turn out anywhere near the success story that my hip has - this wouldn't even cross my mind as a decision - but as I said, I feel despite the poor odds over revisions that I have been made aware of, it is something I almost feel I going to have to attempt in order to try and get any sort of quality of life going forward in the rest of my remaining few years on this Orb.
I would certainly be interested in hearing some details if you care to comment, on your Dad's success and/or issues (if any) on his replacement(s) replacement(s)..
Thanks - Randy

Raider Bill

Quote from: realzed on October 06, 2020, 08:04:52 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on October 06, 2020, 08:23:48 AMMy Dad had both of his done at separate times then had to have the replacements replaced which he did at the same time. Knowing what I know now my hat's off to him.
If you don't mind commenting - how successful were your Dad's replacements?
I'm seriously considering having my 'new to me' version replaced and I pretty much have to make a decision on that before or when I see my Ortho-guy middle of next week.
It's certainly not something I want to do and actually I am dreading having to do - but after going on 9 years of pain swelling and stiffness and loss of sleep and walking capabilities I feel I at this point I must give myself a decent shot at getting the knee redone so that it matches the very successful hip replacement I just had done this mid July.
Truly if my knee redo could manage anywhere near the success of my hip - this wouldn't even cross my mind as a decision - and as I said, I feel despite the poor odds over revisions that I have been made aware of, it is something I almost feel I must attempt in order to try and get any sort of quality of life going forward in the rest of my remaining few years on this Orb.
I would certainly be interested in hearing some details if you care to comment, on your Dad's success and/or issues (if any) on his replacement(s) replacement(s)..
Thanks - Randy
In Dad's case the first 2 replacements were early plastic models and due to his size of well over 300 pounds they collapsed. The second set he got in 99 were a better design and he said was noticeable as such.
He did the second set at the same time saying if he'd done them one at a time knowing what was in store for him he may not have done the second one.

He also had the second ones done at a small 12 bed hospital at Colgate university and they kept him there a week and really took care of him. Me I was barely in the hospital 10 hours and left with nothing helping the pain.

In my case I tore my meniscus getting off my bike. Doc said any repairs would not work so I needed a new total knee. I dunno... he also said my other knee would need replacement in 18 months to 3 years so I may as well get it done now. Again I dunno, seems like going into a new car dealership and getting up sold.

My take on the actual replacement is that if your leg muscles are strong and you are active you probably shouldn't have much trouble. Me I sit at a desk 10-12 hours a day and the most excersie I get is kick starting a bike so mine are not what they used to be and that is showing now as I try to work through rehabbing it.

Most everyone I talk to say they have no regrets with the replacement and I'm sure this time next year I will be one of them.

As a side note more to my getting older and breaking down. I have designed my retirement bike.
Gold Wing trike [they don't break down just oil and tires] Will have to have my Harley tattoos covered up and get rid of all the T-shirts.

Built in cooler, pole for my IV, drain for the catheter, oxygen generator, and a vaporizer for medical weed. I'll have the GF get her bike endorsement so she can ride my old broken down alltimers butt around.

realzed

scsmith42

Bill, it's good to hear from you. Sucks about the recovery challenges but I am relieved to see you posting nonetheless.

We need to get together and ride some time when you're back in the saddle.

Persevere, my friend.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Update,

I'm very disappointed with this new knee and doctor.

The clunking is getting worse. Now feels like 2 bowling balls clacking together and every step I take I can feel it in my hip.

It hurts. Throbs even sitting on the right side where I tore whatever which started this whole adventure. I'm thinking that the Doc mis diagnosed this or just wanted to sell me a new knee because nothing has changed except I now have a new knee giving me pain on top of the original injury which is still there.

Saturday I was going up 3 steps in the house when something popped in the new knee and down I went with all related fire and pain not only in the knee but my back as I landed.

The knee is swelled up.

Called the Doc this morning. He's off until after the new year. He's been saying give it time and to call him the end of December.

I'm pretty discouraged and disappointed. All this since July and I'm right back to where I started.

Guess I'm going Doctor shopping for Christmas.

Magicman

Oh My Bill, this is distressing news.  Thankfully I can not relate to your situation.

Please keep us updated.  :P

Jeff

Well that royally sucks. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Skip

Hang in there ,have a buddy who just went thru the same mess . Got new doc and new knee all good now. 

Nebraska

What Jeff said X2, sorry to hear that.

Thank You Sponsors!