iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cataract Surgery

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 29, 2020, 09:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I went to see my eye surgeon today and scheduled cataract surgery in my Right eye in January. For several months I have noticed I cannot focus at a distance out of it. I am right eye dominant so when I try to shoot my bow I cannot focus on the peep and (horizontal) post style sights. I had not noticed before but during these discussions I realized I can focus it at short distances. I noticed a few years back I no longer needed or could use my reading glasses so this cataract was probably starting then. What the doctor explained was I am focusing and reading up close with my right eye and focusing on distant items like driving or such, with my left eye. The cataract changed the shape of the lens in my right eye fixing the problem requiring readers. He said once he removes the cataract and implants a new lens I will have to go back to using reading glasses again. If the cataract were in my left eye, and apparently I have one starting there we will have to address in a few years, in my left eye instead, I would be able to focus and shoot normally and probably not worry about it for now.  :D I asked about post-operative restrictions and he said I could not lift over 30 lbs for several weeks. Other than that life is normal. January is sort of a slack work period for me so hopefully this will not be a big issue.

My wife had cataracts in both eyes and this same surgeon fixed hers so I have high confidence in his abilities.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Glad you got the eye check and will get fixed up.  I remember my grandmother and her brother having the coke bottle like glasses after cataract surgery.  Then the removed the issue but did not implant the new lens as I recall.  Today's eye surgery seems amazing.  Here's to forward to better vision! 

Ed_K

Rita had both eye's done a yr ago. Since she was a little girl she had to wear thick glasses, when we went to talk to the surgeon he said there was a regular lens they could put in and most people do that,and can see good enough to be able to drive. He also said they have a newer lens that can be used but cost a lot more. I told Rita I was buying the better ones even tho she didn't want them.She'd been having so much trouble see the last couple yrs that she couldn't pass her license exam. She could see without glasses up close to pull splinters out of my fingers  :o but had to have progressive's for everything else :(. When the healing process was over I kept get slapped  >:( cause she kept saying look at that or look at this.Stuff I can't see with 20/10 eyes. She needs glasses only for up close like 6"s close everything else without glasses is crystal clear 8). My type of cancer will make cataracts grow in my eyes so when I need surgery I'm getting these new lens's too. And maybe slap back ;D :D.
Ed K

doc henderson

often cataracts will not do well driving at night, headlights will cause a halo effect and distort things.  My great uncle Bill always said he had to get his "Cadillac" worked on.   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I had an uncle Bill. He died peacefully in his sleep - not like the other five in the car with him who were yelling and screaming as he was driving at the time. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kantuckid

Glad you got checked out-glaucoma, etc. is always a concern when we age. My wife has those implants in both eyes and gained back vision she lacked before the surgery so no longer needs glasses at night, etc..
I have a few "floaters" but still close to 20/20, knocking on the door of a fix the doc says. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 30, 2020, 08:23:31 AM
Doc,

I had an uncle Bill. He died peacefully in his sleep - not like the other five in the car with him who were yelling and screaming as he was driving at the time. :D
We see that in obits and the past few years of sleep apnea attention makes me think about how many of them might have it and maybe be still around had they done something pro active? 
It remains the delightful way to think of dying though :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

Well, they rescheduled and I had my surgery this morning. It took nearly an hour for them to get me ready and mostly just waiting then about 5 minutes of actual surgery which the doc says went real well. I will go back tomorrow for a follow-up. The feeling is just coming back in my eye I guess and it feels a little bruised but everything else seems to have gone well.

I am not supposed to lift anything over 30 lbs for a week, wear an eye cover the rest of today till I get up in the morning and for the next 2 nights after tonight and put drops in 4 times a day I guess till I use them up. 
Howard Green

samandothers

Follow those docs orders so ya don't mess up his work!  Hope you have a lot clearer vision!

Southside

So now it's Pirate Smurf and not Papa Smurf?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Sam and SS,

You guys pretty much nailed it! (Did I leave the camera on this laptop the last time I was posting something? :D)

I guess when the anesthesia was wearing off my eye was pretty sore for a few hours and I got a little bit queasy but that seems to have worn off now and all seems pretty much back to normal. I have a follow up at 10a.m but all is looking good so far.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

I went back for follow up this morning and he said all looked great. When they checked my vision in that eye is already 20/25 or better.
Howard Green

samandothers

Great news!  Don't over do it to soon, don't want to pop a lens loose.  Glad healing and results are good.

snowstorm

this is what i did. it worked out well and i think the dr was just as excited as i was . right side i wanted 20 20 and thats what i got. i told him to aim for 20 40 or so for the left. and it came close. no reading glasses needed unless its really small

WV Sawmiller

I went in yesterday for final check up. Everything is healing properly and the eye doc released me to full duty. Vision is still between 20/25 to 20/30. He set me up with an appointment with my regular eye doctor for glasses and any long range planning. I am considering not even going. The whole process is pretty non-invasive and I'd recommend it to anyone with cataracts.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!