iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Walnut Beast, November 21, 2020, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

@Walnut Beast per the above chat, can't one get 17.5 on a dually and why is the 17.5 preferred by some?
Necessity is the engine of drive

mike_belben

Its just a much tougher, stiffer tire casing than a 16" standard ply.  The 17.5 has more plies, higher psi rating, higher weight capacity.  Theres no point in 15k axles if 16" rubber limits them to 11k on each at the scalehouse.  A 17.5 can resist peeling off sideways a lot better when jackknifing too. The 16s tread will be walking out from under the rim on hot sticky asphalt in a sharp turn. 
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

Years ago I bought a 40 foot three axle had 8,000 pound axles ground load stock trailer that had sixteen inch tires and the fenders were all tore up and the guy was selling it because he couldn't keep tires on it and cracked a lot of wheel turning short. He had ordered new one with dual's on it. I put new fenders on the trailer and switch it over to 17.5 tires. I bought the best wheels and tires I could find at the time and never had any tire problems with that trailer. I did always carry a spare tire and wheel as back then there weren't a lot of places on the road that carried them. Now days I see them all the time. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Sedgehammer on March 22, 2021, 08:21:05 AM
@Walnut Beast per the above chat, can't one get 17.5 on a dually and why is the 17.5 preferred by some?
Good question. Mike explained it pretty good. You can get the 17.5 s on the dually and it's usually a option

Sedgehammer

I've done a fair bit of pulling over the decades with pickups and semis. Both single triples and tandem duals. I'm not claiming to be the end all, but there ain't no way in heck I'm tripling it vs tandem duals. Ain't no darn way on earth. 

I've never been stuck on the side of the road with duals. Never. Ever. Not even twice or 3 times. That's all I'll say about that 

chevytaHOE5674

I haul a lot of loads with my triple axle GN and have yet to be left on the side of the road either....?

Just yesterday rescued by buddy when the inner tire on his dual blew and the shrapnel destroyed the outer 100 feet down the road.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on March 22, 2021, 07:22:00 PM
I haul a lot of loads with my triple axle GN and have yet to be left on the side of the road either....?

Just yesterday rescued by buddy when the inner tire on his dual blew and the shrapnel destroyed the outer 100 feet down the road.
That's funny, but not funny. Never had that happen, but I could see it. Just shows ya that a triple wood be in that same spot with just the first one going out. 

Walnut Beast

Is your gooseneck triple singles or dually. If it's singles are they 16 or 17.5 s 

Firewoodjoe

If I get a new trailer it will be a wide track (frame and suspension) and 17.5s with 12k or 15k axles. If the singles are the same width as the dual frames and suspension, then I'll tear my old trailer down and rebuild it. It has 15k dual tandems. But it's to short and I hate the dove tail. Some day I'll go down state. Two dealers sell pj diamond c load trailer big tex and a few cheaperer names. I can look at them all in one trip. 

Jeff

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 21, 2021, 06:53:03 AM
Quote from: Andries on March 21, 2021, 05:43:49 AM
You cut and paste from an advertisement, then it's an advertisement, not an explanation.
If it's " not selling !!! " point the person you're trying to 'educate' to Wikipedia.
Worry about yourself buddy your not my daddy
Andries is absolutely totally correct and I am one more little comment  from banning you for those comments to another member who was truly looking out for the forum and its paying sponsors.  That was a cut and paste ad. Period.
End of discussion. Your donation does not make this alright and I can gladly return it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

It was off of the company information site and I wasn't aware that was considered sales sales stuff. I have spent money with sponsors and donated to the Fourm more than once. Didn't mean anything by it. If you want to kick me off that's fine

Jeff

My issue is not about the post. Not why I'm here. it is how you addressed your fellow member after he tried to give a heads up that thing wasn't kosher. I don't want to boot anybody. I never do, but sometimes people want to push it after  an admin intervention. Anybody that gets kicked off of this website had it coming.

Now ya know. Let it go is my recommendation. I can guarantee the only one that would be carrying this around would be you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Sedgehammer on March 23, 2021, 12:21:51 AM

That's funny, but not funny. Never had that happen, but I could see it. Just shows ya that a triple wood be in that same spot with just the first one going out.
I carry one spare tire, so one flat no biggy. And if not loaded heavy a chain and binder or ratchet strap, lift the axle up and limp home.
Triple 16" tires. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Jeff on March 23, 2021, 06:52:50 PM
My issue is not about the post. Not why I'm here. it is how you addressed your fellow member after he tried to give a heads up that thing wasn't kosher. I don't want to boot anybody. I never do, but sometimes people want to push it after  an admin intervention. Anybody that gets kicked off of this website had it coming.

Now ya know. Let it go is my recommendation. I can guarantee the only one that would be carrying this around would be you.
Sounds good. My apologies 

Walnut Beast

If your looking at getting a trailer of any make you better make the move. DC trailers went up 17% today in addition to the 6 % that was at the first of the year

Tacotodd

Everything's going higher, except for the pay rate for people 😡
Trying harder everyday.

Brad_bb

I just read through this thread.  I never found anywhere that Walnut Beast said what he would be using to tow his trailer?  I'm wondering if the trailer is properly sized for the tow vehicle?

I was looking for this because I recently bought a new truck for towing.  I had to educate myself on how to determine how much a given tow vehicle can safely pull.  Safely being the key word.  I found that there is a lot of confusion out there on this subject.  The vehicle dealers and manufacturers don't do the public any favors as far as education either.  Each seems to want to brag about being able to tow more than the next competitor.  Any high towing number they show in the commercials or ads seem to be stripped down vehicles, stripped down to maximize how much they can pull, and consequently how much they can brag.  But these are not typical trucks, as who wants a truck with none of the amenities. 

The short version of the story I learned is, GVWR numbers are not the only factor to look at.  They can be misleading.  Payload rating often overrides, or reduces the actual amount you can safely tow.  I say safely from the standpoint of not exceeding the these ratings of payload and GVWR.  I've read that if you are towing over these ratings and get in an accident, you can get in a lot more trouble legally/financially because you are overloaded.

I was looking at Ford trucks.  The payload rating is on a sticker on each truck.  This payload number varies from one truck to another based on what options are on the truck.  The more options, the more weight, which subtracts from the payload rating.  The factory has weights for all these options, and they compute the payload rating accordingly.  Additionally, you must subtract driver and passenger weight, hitch weight, any cargo in the truck, fuel, oil, coolant, all fluids etc. from the payload rating on the sticker on the truck.  Once you have that final payload number you can divide by .2 for a goosneck trailer, and that will give you the total loaded trailer weight you can pull(combined weight of trailer and load).  This could be more or less than the Trailer GVWR.  Of course you cannot exceed the trailer GVWR, but your safe loaded trailer weight my be less than the trailers GVWR because of payload consideration.  

I was originally looking at F250's, but was surprised that the payloads were less than expected.  They could safely tow less than expected.  Talking to multiple people at multiple dealerships showed me that most sales people there don't understand towing numbers.  I had become the educated one.  I ended up buying an F350 dually.  Ford has a towing guide to help with certain towing numbers for Trucks.  One thing became clear, to get the towing numbers I wanted, I need to stick with numerically higher rear end gear ratio, and smaller diameter tires.  I also realized that all these guys with big diesel trucks that put bigger aftermarket wheels and tires on their trucks, just seriously reduced their pulling capacity.

Of course I'm not trying do an in depth discussion here, and I don't mean to alter the course of the thread.  I'm just surprised about how many diesel truck owners I've talked to that don't understand how much they can safely tow.  While a truck may be physically capable of pulling much more weight, the question is what can you safely pull?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Tacotodd

And, don't forget, you have to be able to stop the things also. I'd rather to stop it as opposed to pull it. Just because I can pull something, doesn't mean I can stop something.

I learned that from dad when I was about 18. I can only remember and never hear him say it again.
Trying harder everyday.

Walnut Beast

Smart move on the dually. My tow vehicle is HO Cummins 3500 dually. My trailer that's at the dealer now is 25,900 GVWR it's actually a 30k trailer derated  so no FET tax. Guys pulling heavy loads all the time are using 4500 and 5500 class trucks and benefit in GVWR, braking and stability

Walnut Beast

Pulled smooth as silk 300+ miles home. Now some custom fabrication on the deck on neck, flood lights and some other stuff 

Walnut Beast

Crazy times we are in for sure !! These trailers have had three price increases since the first of the year that totals 35%. I was lucky enough to get the price locked in before the first of the year before everything went absolutely crazy 

mike_belben

the rulers print money and the little guy pays the price.  
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

Missed the picture of it coming home. Looks good!

Walnut Beast

Trailer prices are going crazy. People are still on a year wait list unless a dealer has a slot. From a 35k retail trailer to 55k retail. A 20k price increase in a year! Some dealers are staying close to retail to 5k off

mike_belben

the haves and have nots are gonna start having emnity if this keeps up. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!