iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new shirt

Started by tule peak timber, December 01, 2020, 09:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

if it is legal in California...   :o   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

The inside of the big black oak log yielded two lifts of nice slabs, nothing special but still big slabs for table tops.There was a really nice collection of nails and bullets liberally sprinkled throughout. :D  Did the NNRH wall video ever become viewable to members?

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

samandothers

Yes it was about 8 seconds.  BIG wall! It is several shades of brown! Oh, it's crooked too!

That is a lotta wood glad you did not have to install. 

tule peak timber

Thanks , my wife and I spent ALL WEEK chasing loose ends on this job and are very happy to sit down tonight to a meal of Kodiak rock cod and not having choked each other out. We learned a very great deal about shipping hazardous material (stain) through FedEx and UPS; unbelievable, horrible customer service. Yes, the wall is crooked but it is supposed to be; LOL!

Nebraska

I showed those slab pictures to my mill and jr wet itself....Ok may be I forgot to shut off the lube valve. ;)
Those look pretty cool to me.  More than 2 times  wider than anything I would think of trying.

tule peak timber

That particular oak log needed trimming on both sides to clear the  Lucas slabber . Big wood sells very well, but is a pain to handle and you need to hang onto it for a long drying period. It really does not matter what species, everybody just wants "big" wood. There is a certain sadness to that statement....
   The pic below is this mornings "Sunday Cedar". I'm cutting all of this into board and batt building siding to cover ongoing construction here at the ranch. Beautiful material and I really like dealing with this guy. I fed and fueled him and he will be 850 miles to the north by tomorrow morning. He offered me 60 loads of old growth Doug Fir, and with the price of 2X8's there is some money to be made for sure, just not by me,,,,,,,,I start a new museum job tomorrow.

tule peak timber

So the cedar is now siding and getting hung.

I'm buried in the shop mass producing parts for the second sets of big gates. Lots of grain matching, glue ups, etc. I am also working on the next installment of Museum tables. These are from 3" thick rough cut walnut slabs that I have spent the last week rough dimensioning and doing basic layout. This jumbled mess will eventually be 15 more tables and real soon.

With a steady work load last year, we haven't had a chance to saw much. Tony has a new helper and we're now sawing 5 days a week on many truckloads of mostly walnut that I just kept buying last year. There have been some cedars and firs but every time I get enough $ together, I put it right back into walnut: Claro, English, grafted, specimen crotches, you name it. I will try to keep 2 mills loaded and running all summer. After the slabs are cut, we are stock piling them (the guys, not me) into covered storage for use down the line. I know the dimensional market is hot right now and I am getting multiple calls per day for "beat the big box" prices and my intuition says to stay away from this. Monday I have a designer group coming in booking walnut into 2022 and beyond. Can't go wrong with walnut, redwood, cedar.

doc henderson

very nice!  take time for rest and family when you can.  very productive, and hopefully profitable for you and yours!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Yep, may be time for a vacation in Kodiac!  I like vacation pictures.  :D

tule peak timber

Right now it is all work and no play. The summer heat is hard on the log deck and I don't want to loose my investment.There will be plenty of pics later this fall, and I'm really looking forward to the smell of the ocean again.
  Our property closes next week!

samandothers

You are focused on the right things!  I was just trying to temp you.  smiley_devil

tule peak timber

Well,,,, The temptation is certainly there . I ordered a fishing drone  in prep for the next visit and spent some phone time with a couple of contacts today on fish counts starting up the rivers on Kodiak. I'm there at least in spirit...... :D

samandothers

A bit of day dreaming and preparing for future makes the work days a bit easier. 

tule peak timber

Some tables that passed inspection this morning. These are Claro walnut museum pieces still in process.

WDH

Beautiful natural colors.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

I love your long "countertop room"  was that by design, or just luck of the draw?  what will these be setting atop?  single post with a base?  how thick are they?  Nice production, very classy and beautiful.

Larry

Can't wait to see this one.  How thick are the pieces?  Did you cut them out with a pattern on a router or shaper?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tule peak timber

The room itself is an insulated "wind tunnel" that we can loft , sand , and finish pieces with heated /filtered air. The 40 foot torsion box table is a great reference to keep things flat.
 The tops are blind spline construction using Baltic birch plywood. A couple of years ago I switched to this style of internal joinery because it is fast to machine and has very consistent results that never fail. You can even dial in the amount of clearance in the joint depending on what type of glue you are using. Very consistent!
The corners of these tables are a flared radius called out in the specs by the designers. I had to draw, then build one corner, then mirror image it to the opposite side to keep things perfectly even. You'll notice that in the template I did not put the 2 corners together until I had batch cut all of the table blanks exactly identical, then I put stretchers on the 2 corners and glued them in place for the master end template. This ensures that everything is perfectly balanced and symmetrical to the actual blank.
I started with rough 3" thick slabs from the kiln and it took 3 weeks to creep up on the final blanks at 1-1/4" thick. The original specs were for 2-1/4" and mid stream in my building the customer switched to 1-1/4.
This weekend I am doing spot filling and getting ready to bullnose all of the edges at one time. Then the tedious finishing process begins.

tule peak timber

WDH

Well deserved praise, Sir.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Quote from: WDH on July 05, 2022, 05:04:20 PM
Well deserved praise, Sir.  
Thanks Danny. Been thinking about your hand and I hope it is healing up well. 
We were mentioned in some other articles in the big NNRH building we spent a few years working on/for, and we even caught a few lines recently in the New York Times on another project on which we had input. 
I have spent the last 6 mos. working on a truck/camper project, along with all the usual doors, tables, millwork, etc. The camper project might be of some interest to guys who like to build stuff, although there is not really any wood in it. If there is some interest, I will start a thread on this thing I am building.

JJ

I'm interested in O' Grand WOC project!
popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley

caveman

Rob, it is good to see you posting and sharing your various projects.  The museum work and write up are something to be proud of.  
Caveman

69bronco

thecfarm

A nice article and a nice job.

Yes on The Camper project.
Knowing you, it will be another fine job!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!