iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What’s your workout 🏋️‍♀️

Started by Walnut Beast, March 04, 2021, 04:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

The longer you think about not wanting to workout the easier it is to talk yourself out of it. Everybody is on a different level just got to get after it.   Preacher curls. Total isolation on the 💪 biceps. Four sets of 10 at 95lbs and six sets of 8 at 115 lbs. and a little cardio of walking 

PoginyHill

I stretch most everything connected to my hips (trying to push out a replacement joint as long as possible), normally daily or every other day. Cardio: if I don't get it cutting stuff in the woods, 30 mins on a treadmill 4mph @6% incline. Never done weights. Hopefully dragging small pole trees and firewood is sufficient. On the stretching - still have minor hip issues, but my back is 100% better - no more pain cutting stuff on the ground.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Walnut Beast

That's awesome everything your doing and like you said it makes a difference 👍

Old saw fixer

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Runningalucas

If I'm working outside, and hard, then it's 1 day of weights, if not, then 2 days a week.  Every day I do a lengthy stretching routine/yoga usually at the end of the day.  Every morning are abs, and light calisthenics.  My only goal is to be able to do some physical labor outdoors, and without too much pain.

Every now, and then, I'll do a bike ride.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

alan gage

I really struggle with exercising just to exercise. I've successfully done it for long periods of time in the past (20's) but I think those days are gone. I got into canoe racing in my mid-30's and that provided a few years of really good workouts. Even when not racing I'll often paddle 2-3 times/week just because I enjoy paddling (not floating). I enjoy walking and 3 seasons out of the year put in around 15 miles/week.

I get less exercise doing manual labor now that I'm older with more money (skidloader and log splitter) but I still get good workouts at the sawmill, cutting firewood, and building things. One thing I could do better at is cardio as I rarely get my heart rate up for extended periods of time. Hopefully time will let me get back into canoeing more seriously this spring/summer to rectify that.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ljohnsaw

I never did the gym thing.  Funny to see my neighbors have lawn care come by once a week for an hour but then they spend a few hours a week at the gym.  If they just worked in their yard, they'd save on both!

During spring through fall, cutting the grass, trimming trees.  Summer and fall, working on my cabin build.  LOTS of cardio in that with a manual mill walking all day and lots of weight lifting taking slabs and beams off the mill.

I got myself a peddle kayak.  I go fishing (trolling) with it so I'm peddling sometime slow, sometimes fast for 2 to 3 hours.   One day I was on the water for 4 hours.  Got tired of peddling but no ill effects later - nice low impact on the joints.     
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Lets see, run a manual sawmill, that's on the low side. I cut trees on my land, dig rocks, some by hand and put into bucket than take out and put into a wet hole. I level out land with a rake to finish it off. Load dirt with a shovel into the loader to get the last of a pile of dirt. Work in the garden. Use the trimmer around here. Pile wood by hand. Don't watch TV.  ;)  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dougtrr2

I heat with wood so that is a major portion of my workout.  I retired in 2019 and last year I started riding my bicycle  again.  I put on over 1,000 miles last year.  Luckily for me a trailhead for the Wabash trace isn't too far from me.  I do all my riding on the trace, no cars, fairly level, shaded, and just an overall peaceful time.  The Wabash trace is 63 miles long and from my starting point I can ride 53 miles to the end.  I did that about 3 times last year.

Doug in SW IA

mike_belben

While in the marines and then in spurts for the next 10 years id alternate between no workouts and pretty intense lifting based on if i had time, money or injury. Not that im big or strong but that im for maxing stuff out.  Always felt better lifting.   

Injury money and time ended that for another decade then i hit it pretty hard for a few months while trucking, at 40yrs old and full of joint and spine issues.  And i felt great.  Im wanting to get back to it but i always have the kids and wife is always at work.

Just working around the back yard is not the same.  I never stop doing that and my everything always hurts.  Proper weightlifting makes me feel younger and in less pain, and always has.  

"Takin it easy" on Drs orders made me feel a hundred when i was 18.  Running, lifting, mtn bikes and surfing made me feel young again.  Your body wasnt designed for a bed and a pain pill. That just makes it worse.
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Well said Mike. Hopefully you can carve a little time and maybe get the kids in a little fun also. Some other good and fun ideas besides weights is flipping tires, pulling some stuff with rope, swinging the ax and or sledge hammer on a bigger rubber tire, bear crawl and carrying heavy objects over a distance 

Walnut Beast

Guys that say there to old is a bunch of Bull !!! It's all in your head and mindset. 
I can walk into a gym and say bring it and roll with a guy half my age lifting weights.  There is one thing though that is the big difference and that is RECOVERY!!  That's where a young stud has you by the ***** 😂

mike_belben

Why did i think you were in your 70s?  Maybe ive had you mixed up with kentuckid ?? Youre in KY too right?
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

😂 I'm drinking a pre workout now getting jacked for a workout 😂. Slip the wireless Beats on and get after it!!

Walnut Beast

Deadlifts are excellent for total body. Especially back and legs. Haven't done them in quite some time. It felt really good last night to get them back in the mix

Larry

20 minutes every day before lunch pedaling my stationary bike as fast as I can.  I have one inside and one on the deck.  Does more for me than working the sawmill all day.

I also flat water kayak on summer evenings.  Looking for a new one that my buddy Hank the dog can ride in with me. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Southside

These days it's just the farm work.  Carry a newborn calf 1/4 mile to the fresh area couple days ago, roll round bales onto their side when they drop wrong in the feeders, not so much work out but definitely work.  

So funny story and since the guys involved will likely never read this the legend will live on.  One of the side gigs we do is sell used artificial turf.  It's an odd, little, market and we own it.  You want used turf for your yard, animals, business, etc - I am the man to see.  Like anything there are different grades, styles, sizes, etc.  Turf contains infill - sand and rubber crumb, it does serve several purposes, but it weights a lot.  A roll with infill weights 1,500 lbs, without it 250 lbs.  

So one day a couple of quite jacked youn'ens showed up to get 6 rolls of turf to install in their training facility where they work with prospective linebackers for the Redskins.  As they pulled in I happened to be rolling up a roll of turf that did not contain infill, just flopped the thing into a big sausage and set it to the side.  Jumped onto the Lull and put 6 rolls WITH infill into their trailer.  We spoke for a bit and off they went - never thought about it again.  The next day they call me...  "Mr Jim - you made us look bad" - Oh oh, I figure there is a problem.  They go on to tell me they got back to Richmond, grabbed onto a roll of turf and nothing budged, it was like it was bolted to the trailer, they had to get 6 more jacked buddies and spent something like 8 hours getting their trailer unloaded and the stuff into their facility.  The guy then says "You are the strongest man I have ever seen, we pulled in and you were ROLLING UP this stuff, it took 8 of us to unroll it".  By now I am keeping myself from laughing and said something along the lines of "well boys there is gym strong and there is farm strong, guess you should mess with cows or something" - they bought it hook, line, and sinker.  Asked me if I would come in if they need to put on a boot camp or something.  I never told them the truth - just figured they would tell their buddies not to mess with farm guys out in the sticks because they are strong as oxen.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Great story you stud 😂.  There is something to be said about farm work and various other jobs where someone from the gym would struggle 

Greyman

Snowmobiling has proved to be the best workout ever!  Fun too.  

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on March 10, 2021, 11:03:07 PMI never told them the truth - just figured they would tell their buddies not to mess with farm guys out in the sticks because they are strong as oxen.   :D
Now THAT is a funny story, I am going to try to hang onto that (Giving full credit of course). I always found it interesting when I worked with a jock that had never seen an ax or other tool in his hands. They seem embarrassed that they can't stick it where it should go 'like the old guy does' or can't get the chips to fly 'like the old guy does'. They have the strength part down, but nobody ever explained how the skill part plays in. If they catch on they pick it up quick, if they don't they just keep throwing more muscle in and it gets downright humorous.
 Next time tell them "Well, you really gotta learn how to lift with your legs." :D :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

streem26

I just like biking for around 3 hours a few times a week. It just helps me to de-stress and disconnect from work. I'm also doing Yoga with Adriene. She has videos for all levels, all kinds of situations, and monthly yoga schedules. Weight loss, injury, stress relief, anything and everything.

Walnut Beast

Just giving the chest a little workout 🏋️‍♀️ 

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Walnut Beast

Workin the guns 💪. Preacher curls. And for the farmer curls 🚜💪

Thank You Sponsors!