iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inherited 6 acres of land not sure what to do with it

Started by hereforqq, April 05, 2021, 08:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hereforqq

I've Inherited 6 acres of land full of trees not sure what to do with it, cant place a house on it unless its cleared out. I'm sure that would be expensive since its just 6 acres of nothing but trees. Would contacting someone about selling the lumber be worth it or would it be worth more to just sell the land. I feel 6 acres is a lot but I've read a couple or threads saying other wise any opinions or advice anyone could give me. Its 6 acres of country land kinda in the middle of nowhere but its has a road its in North Louisiana a house wouldn't be bad to place on it if it was cleared out a bit

Tacotodd

Get someone to come in and cut it for their own firewood. Make sure they sign some sort of lawyer drawn-up paperwork that states that you're NOT responsible for ANYTHING that they do that would possibly hurt them or other people and/or property. That's going to be the easiest way. 

Sometimes even just a rather small piece of land like that will look good to a small time logger, IF the trees are mature. 
Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

Also, be sure that the prospects know that the price is right ;) 🤫
Trying harder everyday.

Sauna freak

Ask yourself these questions:
Is the property one you really wish to utilize for your purposes?
Sentimental value too high to let it go?
Do you have the skillset, time, equipment to develop it yourself or are willing to use it to learn and acquire same?
Do you like the idea of country property but not necessarily this specific location?

If the answer to any of the above is "no" consider contacting a realtor.  Land prices are sky high in my state, I'd assume they are up in your neighborhood also.  Small-medium buildable lots suitable for "homesteading" are especially hot.  If it were not land I wished to work with myself, I'd consider selling and using the proceeds to acquire a more useful property.

If you wish to keep it, we need more information.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

GAB

How far away from where you reside is it?
What variety of trees are on it?  Could they be used to build with?
What is the zoning in that area?
Is it in a flood plain?
Personally if I was going to sell it I would contact all of the adjoining neighbors as it might be more of value to them than someone else.
A good and well experienced operator with a large dozer could clear an acre in not too much time.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

mike_belben

What do to with 6 acres of inherited land?  

Be thankful with it.  Thats my advice. 
Praise The Lord

timberking

Property in NE Texas is gone crazy.  Don't know the situation over east.  Put a big number and flip it.

Southside

Clearly someone thought enough of you that they wanted you to benefit from this land, be it financially, personally, or however.  That land has been there for a good number of years, you don't need to make a decision on what to do this afternoon.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

hereforqq

Quote from: Southside on April 05, 2021, 02:09:42 PM
Clearly someone thought enough of you that they wanted you to benefit from this land, be it financially, personally, or however.  That land has been there for a good number of years, you don't need to make a decision on what to do this afternoon.  
My first thought wasn't to get rid of it but I don't want it to just sit up my family has done this before with land when I was younger and lost it now that i'm older and have control over these things I would like to make better decisions asking for advice would be the right things to do. I've known of this land for years so I'm not just trying to get rid of it as you can see i've asked either or so I would mind you not look at my post in a negative way thank you.

Southside

I am not looking at it in a negative light, just saying don't rush to a judgement on it. Timber is horrible right now, getting better, but prices are not great so if you got a quote today to harvest the trees it might be very disappointing. However that could all change in 6 months.  Likewise the housing market is on fire right now and a spec house on an open acre with a pond and garden surrounded by trees, might attract a former city dweller with way too much cash to burn looking for an escape. Again, in 6 months that might not work any longer. 

Realestate is local, very local, sometimes 10 miles can make a major difference in value.  I would suggest you do a lot of homework to include identifying what timber is there, what soil is there, what building regulations exist, where folks are building / buying in the area before you get locked in with any plan.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mooseherder

6 acres is a very desirable amount for many people because its affordable.   If you're not going to move there I'd keep it intact for the next owner.   The adjacent owner might also love to buy it.

Claybraker

Another place to ask about the value of the timber now, is a service forester from https://www.ldaf.state.la.us/forestry 
Also good folks to talk to about what could be there with a little work and patience. TSI is a fun hobby. You also might want to look into any property tax breaks for keeping it the way it is. And welcome to the forum.

HemlockKing

A1

Thank You Sponsors!