The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Hurricane Ida  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
Re: Hurricane Ida
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2021, 08:35:46 PM »
I was deployed to Louisiana for the last week in response to Ida with my FEMA urban search and rescue team.  I was in place in Lafayette just before the storm made landfall.  It was predicted to come right over us, but it went East.  The next day they sent us closer to NOLA.  They had been projecting that damage could have been just like from Katrina, but luckily that wasn't the case.  Still, the whole area was very hard hit by wind that took down more powerlines and poles than I could have imagined.  I just returned home today.
Did they fly you in or did you drive with equipment?
The First 60 some years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2021, 09:35:04 PM »
We drive.  Our convoy consists of 3 tractor trailers, 5 flatbeds F550's, 1 eleven passenger van, 3 Ford Excursions and 2 large busses.  We pull 3 boat trailers that carry 2 boats each, 2 gooseneck trailers, 1 bumper pull enclosed trailer and one flatbed trailer carrying a Kubota utility vehicle.  One of the tractor trailers is a flatbed carrying several large pallets, a large generator, a forklift and another Kubota.  While  we can load our equipment cache on C130, usually its better to drive.  We have much more flexibility that way.  With hurricanes, we have enough notice that we leave ahead of landfall and are in place ahead of time.  We do a lot of training with helicopters, namely Chinooks and Blackhawks.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2021, 03:19:48 AM »
Those tornadoes are nasty but they are sorta random as to what they will destroy. Seen results of one here a few years ago. Took out a trailer home, nothing but insulation scattered in the yard. And there was a family inside, unharmed. Right across the road is an old farm house, never touched it. Went across two heavy transmission lines, no damage, then tore a path down through the maple woods and died out before it got to the St John River, probably a mile from that trailer home.

Glad everyone is safe and eat'n good. ;D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2021, 06:11:55 AM »
Canada sent crews to Chester County to help get our electricity restored!  Canada!  Talk about an overwhelming feeling of comfort and joy. Theyve got our backs. Thank you Canadians!  

Say when

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2021, 07:37:20 AM »
One of the last storms I worked before retiring I worked with some Line crews from Canada.  They were all retired from their first jobs.  This storm work was a part time gig as I recall. They did a great job.  I do not speak french so on a few occasions I had to use a translator app to communicate.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2021, 08:58:21 AM »
Yoopers also speak a language all their own but it sure isnt French and to foreigners it may as well be. 

Necessity is also the mother of understanding a language you werent taught.  Yesterday I was driving Amish and he asked to stop at the end of the drive to speak with his neighbor. She was up a bank so hollering commenced. When he got back in the car, I asked whos birthday had she mentioned and he temporarily had a look of horror cross his face that an outsider was capable of eavesdropping. Very quickly he recovered and began to chuckle and said that I always amaze them. 

Say when

Online farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
Don't know if Ida was the cause, but we had some very nice slow rain here in Kansas, Thursday nite we got 3/4", and then Friday nite we received 2" more, nice and slow.  Now the beans are soaked up and we will have a nice fall harvest, as long as we don't get an early frost.  Just in time for the beans, they were getting crisp, but seem to be recovering nicely.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2021, 08:59:32 AM »
Yoopers also speak a language all their own but it sure isnt French and to foreigners it may as well be.

Necessity is also the mother of understanding a language you werent taught.  Yesterday I was driving Amish and he asked to stop at the end of the drive to speak with his neighbor. She was up a bank so hollering commenced. When he got back in the car, I asked whos birthday had she mentioned and he temporarily had a look of horror cross his face that an outsider was capable of eavesdropping. Very quickly he recovered and began to chuckle and said that I always amaze them.

I have two brothers that speak pretty fluent German, when either of them are around the language most often spoken is English!
They were both dumbfounded a while back when they (the Amish neighbors) were speaking German and one of my brothers broke in and said "Ah, spreken ze doich"!  :o
After that, the were probably careful of what they said!  :)  
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline 2 Jugs

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2021, 10:17:26 AM »
Still no power as of this morning.  I am all good except for the power situation.

The following is drone footage of Grand Isle, LA.  Lot of damage to the western side of the island as it is lower in elevation which allowed the storm surge to break through the protective berm and wash over the island.  Everything on the ground floor and camps that were not 10 ft off the ground were wash away.

HM122

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2021, 11:15:26 AM »
That is horribly depressing.  I have fished out of Port Fourchon with Capt. Charlie Hardison many times.  Of course he is gone but the Charter Service was still there.

(I'll be fishing a bit further East next week.)  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2021, 03:32:59 PM »
 @2 Jugs I'm so sorry.  That damage is devastating.  We had folks telling us that we were needed in Grand Isle, but of course we can only go where FEMA sends us to help and that was not one of the places.  I do know that another Task Force was eventually sent there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline 2 Jugs

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2021, 06:05:09 PM »
MM,

May the Lord bless you on your trip next week.

ffots,

No offense, but you lucked out on not going to Grand Isle.  The living conditions down there are brutal and will be for a while.

I have several friends with camps down there and spent many weekends fishing and relaxing on Grand Isle.  I have seen it come back from Katrina and Gustav and many other smaller hurricanes.  The devastation from Ida is in a whole other category.  Normally, it will take a week or 2 for services to be restored and cleanup would end but normal is years away.  For some, all they had done there is gone.  For them, there will be a new normal

2 Jugs
HM122

Offline 2 Jugs

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2021, 06:24:09 PM »
Today the wife and I made a run to La Rose, LA(60 miles north of Grand Isle) to visit one of her co-workers.  The damage is really bad down there and we are 2 weeks out from the storm.  I can only imagine what it looked like the day after.  Electric companies are rebuilding most of the grid.  

The further you go, the worse it gets.   :( :( :(
HM122

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another Hurricane for FL

Started by DonE911 on General Board

64 Replies
Last post October 01, 2004, 06:10:48 AM
by Fla._Deadheader
xx
hurricane

Started by timberfaller390 on General Board

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 11:34:48 PM
by BillG