iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well I earned my beer today. ;D
 I realized I have been putting off doing that final top pour on the bar because maybe I am a bit concerned about getting it right. SO last evening I gave myself a pep talk and this morning I fired up a short load in the stove of junk wood to bring the temp up but I forgot my mental notes and did not mix 'quite enough' epoxy. I got coverage, but not thick enough to get a good even flow. Still I had hopes it would settle and even out. This will all be borne out on the video which still has quite a bit of time to process before I can even upload it so, not tonight on that.
 So I did what I could and hoped for the best and left it to settle and cure. Then I went to cut logs for a mushroom order that I had thought was due next week, but the client called last night and I realized it was this week. No big deal as I have most of them cut already and just needed a few more to finish the order. Got that done, went and checked some things at the mill (I need dimensions to build some roller table stands), then came home, unloaded, let the client know his stuff was ready for pickup, had lunch and went and checked the bar. NOPE, it wasn't happening and I had waves, blurbs, and uneven spots enough to do it over. Now way was it a 'final pour' and no way I would turn that over to a client. I had two choices: A) wait until tomorrow and do another pour, or 2) just mix up the proper amount and do a pour now. I opted for option two and just mixed the stuff up and did the pour. I should have waited because it took more effort (I am reluctant to use the word 'skill') and I managed to get it all flat and pretty with a lot of torch and touchup work. So again, I left the shop and went out to stack wood for an hour or so. I came in the shop to get a water and take a short break and of course checked the bar. My heart sank. A fly had gotten into the shop and found the bar. Here is what I saw:

That little sucker had done a full blown quicksand routine and got himself completely covered. I actually might have left him there as a 'feature' but he made a big lump that was quite 'unattractive'. I was sick, it probably meant doing the pour one more time. But I figured "what the heck, maybe I can fix this"  :D ;D. So I plucked it out with my tweezers and hit the cavity with the torch and what do you know, it all settled out flat! Accidents happen. Here is the 'after' photo of the same spot:

All nice and flat and you'd never know he/she was there.
 I got lucky and figured that was it for the day. I still have a little wood on the trailer to stack, but I can get that in the morning and I still had some errands to run and barely got those done before dinner. I got the video editing done and it is currently processing as I type this. I'll put it up tomorrow.
 Speaking of tomorrow I will be ending this topic/thread tonight. It's gone on for 2 years and it's time to start a new one. Tomorrow is Norwegian constitution day and a semi-significant date in my own life, as well as the day I had been starting a new thread of my mis-steps and daily debauchery activities in years past. So I have no idea what title to stick on it and am open to ideas. Maybe some of you folks have ideas on what better characterizes the things I post here than I could come up with?
 Anyway, tomorrow is another day. I'll worry about that then.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Keep the title the same and change the year.  ;)
Works with the weather thread.
Easy to find something too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

gspren

Happy Birthday! That first pic with the fly looked like a pork chop on a griddle when I first saw it. There we got a food comment in already today.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

Happy birthday Tom.  Hope you have a good day.  What kind of oil do you use to fry your eggs?  there we got food and oil in the same post!   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I fry my eggs in butter, but yes, mission accomplished and thankyou all for the good wishes.

As promised this thread ends today and the new thread is picked up HERE.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!