iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love my duramax !!

Started by Sedgehammer, May 30, 2021, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

If anyone here needs to work on a Duramax, I have accumulated a lot of specialized tools.  I even have the puller, and installer for a front main seal.   

And yes, the water pump is a pretty big job, but not really That bad.  I have always kept a spare water pump in the Git Home kit for every truck I've ever owned.  When I bought the Duramax dually, I kept one in the tool box.  I didn't need it for 20 years, but it wouldn't have been a side of the road job anyway.

I've also replaced every moving part in the steering assembly.

My first alternator stopped charging at 115,000 miles.  I was on the way home when I noticed it wasn't charging, by the gauge on the dash.  I stopped at NAPA, without turning off the engine, and bought one. I put it in the shop, and sure enough, it wouldn't start, so I put the charger on the batteries, and changed the alternator the next morning.

Last truck payment made was Nov. 2000.   I like to make one payment, and see how long one will last.  So far, haven't spent much more than one payment on a new one, every other year, or three, for the past several years.

lazyflee

Ordered a 2022 Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax in it last week. Finally time to get a diesel. Around here they say "you have to really hate your money if you want a new truck" I guess I hate money, truck costs more than my house! Now the wait begins.....

Sedgehammer

Quote from: lazyflee on July 21, 2021, 08:56:49 AM
Ordered a 2022 Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax in it last week. Finally time to get a diesel. Around here they say "you have to really hate your money if you want a new truck" I guess I hate money, truck costs more than my house! Now the wait begins.....
Yes and no on the 'hate'. If you need a truck for work, you have little choice. If you have real amounts of money, then why not. I have a really good friend that sold his company in 08 for 54 million. He buys a new half ton every 3 years and a new 1 ton every 4 years. He's 65. He said, why not
Necessity is the engine of drive

Arctiva

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 31, 2021, 02:39:11 PM
What kind of problems are you having with DEF? Of course my 05 Cummins doesn't have it but I am curious, it seems simple enough.
11 duramax bought used in 13 with 35k. 1st def pump at 45k, next at 60k 3rd at 75k needed another at 95k 5 year 100k warranty was out and was cheaper to delete. If memory serves pump replacement was around $2800. I was looking at new trucks and now wonder if the new ones are better now, forgot all about the pump failures.

stanmillnc

Back to the question of what kind of problems DEF systems can have - I've had my entire emissions system replaced at 82k miles on my 15 RAM 2500 Cummins. It's been an expensive nightmare. DEF pump, injector, sensors, EGR, etc. all had to be replaced (some of which was already replaced ~30k miles ago!). Truck was in the shop for two months and cost me thousands. Emissions warranty just ran out prior to all these failures. Truck went into 'limp mode' due to DEF issues at ~30k miles, 50k miles and most recently 80k miles. 

Tried to delete system, but can't get the DPF delete tuner in the US anymore and EPA has cracked down. Was told that if caught with modified emissions, you get $2500+ fine on the spot as well.

I've heard that Ford and GM all have troubles with DEF systems as well, particularly the earlier models made shortly after the EPA mandated all this crap. Not sure any of the manufacturers have addressed the reliability issues with these complicated, troublesome diesel emissions systems yet - if anyone has insight I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thank You Sponsors!