The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: The dirtwork thread  (Read 2925 times)

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: The dirtwork thread
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2021, 07:14:25 AM »
One other thing.
When I was building full time there was nothing worse than a bad site work guy.
I told one guy once he moved the same dirt so much he wore it out and had to get new dirt  :D
Some guys are smooth as silk on a site.
I learned to ask who was doing the site work. If it was certain guys I would decline the job.
I know of someone who hired a Craigslist/kijiji “Contractor” aka just a dummie with little know how, anyway, the guy was suppose to smooth out a area for a yard of which there was massive beautiful oak trees in the yard(the whole reasoning of picking that spot), buddy cutt/ripped all the surface roots up with his blade and the trees died shortly after. Leaving just a bare ugly yard. 

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2021, 06:31:20 PM »
Geotech is your friend.  Nobody around here uses it or ever head of it - just buy more 57's and let them push down through the clay is all I was told in these parts.  Growing up it was like Christmas when the paper mill would change the felt.  Everybody was getting a new driveway, walkway, etc after that.  

During spring breakup I have watched loaded log trucks and massive wheel loaders running on a foot of shale that was over a layer of Geotech, in the middle of cedar swamp ground.  The whole road would wave up and down, but the tires would not leave so much as an imprint.  
I've heard of it......... ;D  And have used a bit to cross booger holes......And I start with #3s. ;D
“You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can’t kill the spirit of patriots and when they’ve had enough this madness will end.”
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
I redid 800 feet of my driveway a while back, it was originally made by digging out the top soil that was 2 to 3 feet deep and filling it in with a soft shale but after 15 years and several wash outs it was getting pretty bad so I put in a layer of 2" road material and a layer of 3/4" road material it seems to hold up quite well. I lost count of how much material I put in after 300 ton, probably no more than 400 ton. (24 ton per load) 

Online PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2021, 09:45:59 AM »
Improving access road to my woodlot. Several wet areas. Worst of them I used woven fabric and some 3" screened gravel. 11 loads (15yds each) so far. Use by dump trailer to bring into the road. Not suitable for a truck. Trailer holds 4-5 yds. First load of gravel is dumped in a pile and spread with the Case 310 dozer. Subsequent loads I can tailgate spread.

Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline Patrick NC

• I'm not new anymore, but still pretty green
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2021, 11:21:27 AM »
Nice old dozer. Is it diesel or gas?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2021, 12:45:04 PM »
Looks like you have your own native gravel bank to choose from.  Wish that was an option in clay country.  One way or another youre paying the quarry and the truck out here. 

In my case for a narrow forest road like that where you cant deviate from the two tire tracks...  i would tailgate spread 4-6" rock with a vee deflector clamped in the center of the duckbill on back of the truck so it only fills the tire tracks and neglects the center.   Will about double your linear footage per load.  

Can cap it in finer rock if you want a prettier finish for cars or feet.   
Proverbs 19:11

Online PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2021, 12:49:11 PM »
Nice old dozer. Is it diesel or gas?
Gas. Unbelievably reliable in starting. Whether hot or sitting for 4 months.
Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Online PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2021, 12:54:31 PM »
Looks like you have your own native gravel bank to choose from.  Wish that was an option in clay country.  One way or another youre paying the quarry and the truck out here.

In my case for a narrow forest road like that where you cant deviate from the two tire tracks...  i would tailgate spread 4-6" rock with a vee deflector clamped in the center of the duckbill on back of the truck so it only fills the tire tracks and neglects the center.   Will about double your linear footage per load.  

Can cap it in finer rock if you want a prettier finish for cars or feet.  
Great idea. There are some portions of this road that are narrow enough as you describe. But most is wide enough for at least 2 quads to pass, maybe two SBS's. Plus the road is used by full size trucks down to a bicycle, so not everyone is following the same tracks. I get a similar effect where there are defined ruts when I pass over with the dozer. Blade skims the higher portions and fill the ruts. Where I am, 3" gravel is cheaper than tailings (2-6"stone) by $2/yd, so I've been using all gravel. Crushed stone is like 2-3X the price, but would be ideal.

Online PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 01:02:23 PM »
Looks like you have your own native gravel bank to choose from.  Wish that was an option in clay country.  One way or another youre paying the quarry and the truck out here.
I live in clay country, but there is a vein of good gravel within a mile of my house. One outfit has a crusher operation. The other has only screened products. I use the screened products when I can because it's much cheaper. But the crushed gravel is much better for a compacted driveway surface. For this road there was a section I used dense grade (6" minus crushed rock with rock dust). Here I was filling a ravine of smooth ledge and concerned anything else would wash out. It sets up like concrete. Everything else is 3" screened gravel.

Online PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2021, 01:46:01 PM »
My previous pics were of the access road to my wood lot from the side I live on. It is a half-mile section of "class 4" town road (town right-of-way, but not town maintained) which was barely passable with an ATV. That section is done. Easily traveled with a pick-up now.

Now I'm working on access from the opposite end. The landing is about 400 ft from a maintained section of road. This would be the access for any equipment or log trucks.

This is what the road looked like before I began work. Here I had just starting clearing the landing. The road was narrow and basically a rocky river bed. Over the years, finer material was pushed to the sides causing a bowl-shaped profile that caught water in the spring and anytime it rained.

I cleared alongside the road where my property abuts it.

Then I moved material from the cleared path to the road in order to raise its height a bit.

This is where I left things last fall. With the leaves gone, cooler weather and rain, it became a muddy mess in the fall and this spring.

Fast forward to now. Road dried and packed nicely (clay-type soil). Installed a 15" culvert to direct drain to the right-side. 

And have begun digging the ditch and raising road some more so that water doesn't run into the road again. Will then line ditch with fabric and stone tailings. Unsure If I'll top road with gravel or leave as is. It may remain dry enough to stay packed and hard without a topping. We'll see.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2021, 02:02:16 PM »
nice work.  ive explored many a class 6 road in a past life.  nice solitude.

Offline woodroe

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2021, 06:27:07 AM »
I was surprised at how well the crushed gravel compacts. Costs a little more, $16 yd delivered 12 yd loads.
Used the 1 1/2 " stuff to build up the driveway base and topped it with the 
3/4" . It solidifies after packing it.

On my woods road I used the same stuff when I put a culvert in. Had some leftover from the driveway.
Bed of rocks, 3/4" crushed gravel bed for the culvert , encased it with the 3/4 and 
topped it off with the 1 1/2". 

If i had my own digger probably would have done things differently in the woods
but pretty happy with the results .

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2021, 06:56:00 AM »
Get the water off and out of the road is the key. Built them high!!
Hog tough is the words my Father used to call your road PognyHill before you fixed it.
Your road looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2021, 07:21:14 AM »
I was surprised at how well the crushed gravel compacts. Costs a little more, $16 yd delivered 12 yd loads.

On my woods road I used the same stuff when I put a culvert in. Had some leftover from the driveway.
Bed of rocks, 3/4" crushed gravel bed for the culvert , encased it with the 3/4 and

Crushed gravel (ABC, road-bond - depending on where you are) is the best. Spreads like butter and packs nicely. Only issue is price. The screened gravel I use for woods roads is less than half the cost of crusher run. I use crushed gravel when I want a super-smooth surface or need it to compact really well.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2021, 08:32:04 AM »
Nomenclature is so regional.

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2021, 01:12:05 PM »
I have recycled old/used carpet to put down on soft areas that I covered with gravel, worked as well as road fabric, it takes planning ahead to get enough carpet ahead but the local carpet stores allow me to remove it from their dump boxes plus I have friends who know that I will take old carpet regardless of how bad it is. Sure takes a lot less base rock to put it down in the soft spots and then spread the rock. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »
used to use carpet to preserve the integrity of fresh bmx jumps. 

Offline Patrick NC

• I'm not new anymore, but still pretty green
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »

Crushed gravel (ABC, road-bond - depending on where you are) is the best. Spreads like butter and packs nicely. Only issue is price. The screened gravel I use for woods roads is less than half the cost of crusher run. I use crushed gravel when I want a super-smooth surface or need it to compact really well.
If you flood the ABC stone with water and roll it with a vibratory smooth drum roller it will work up a slurry on top sort of like you get when you finish concrete. The fines and rock dust will fill in any voids and will cure out hard as a rock. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2021, 11:09:33 PM »
I often mix clay and water to pancake batter mix and pour it into potholes or little backfills.  Screed it up like concrete so the cream comes up and gets dried out faster by sun and wind.   Dries very hard in a few sunny days as long as ya dont go too thick.  

Ive also "mortared" a field stone barbecue together with mudcrete the same way. 

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2021, 05:27:06 AM »
I often mix clay and water to pancake batter mix and pour it into potholes or little backfills.  Screed it up like concrete so the cream comes up and gets dried out faster by sun and wind.   Dries very hard in a few sunny days as long as ya dont go too thick.  

Ive also "mortared" a field stone barbecue together with mudcrete the same way.
My only problems with using clay is after a few days of dry weather it’s a dust storm every time you drive down the road lol

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff on General Board

242 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
by Jeff
xx
Thread ID

Started by Kevin on General Board

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 06:50:50 PM
by Kevin
xx
Yet another What Saw Should I Get thread