iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Schlage locksmiths?

Started by gspren, June 05, 2021, 05:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

On Monday I'll be calling to get a locksmith to rekey the locks on our new house, 7 door-sets and 1 deadbolt. They are all currently keyed alike but don't trust that the former owners kids don't still have a key. I know I can get them all keyed alike but different than now, my question is of the door-sets there some when locked the knob doesn't turn in or out, some when locked will open from the inside but remain locked and one when locked if you turn the inside knob it will unlock. Can they be changed to all be the same? I think I'd like if they locked the knob inside and out so you had to consciously re-lock when you went out.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

goose63

To bad you are so far away my BIL could fix you up with the locks but he is in Breckinrige Minn.
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Tom King

I think they must be different ages.  Only the newer ones lock up the interior knob tight, too.  I doubt you'll get them all to work the same way.

The newer ones also install with the screws in place, and the inside escutcheon twists onto the screw heads, so you don't have to find the screw holes with the screws.

I like the older ones better.  Those newer type inside escutheons come loose after a while.

gspren

The house was built in 2006 so I would think the locks would all be the same age but who knows, we just had settlement on Wednesday and Thursday is when I went around checking the functions I guess I'll find out next week but it seems it would be easy to lock yourself out with the ones that open from the inside but don't unlock the door.

pigman

Our house built in 2011 has the Schladge door hardware. The doors will not unlock with the inside handle. They were made that way so a person can get out quicker in case of a fire. I just hid a key outside to get back in when I forget to unlock the door, which happened often until I got used to checking the outside handle before shutting the door.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sprucebunny

I have a combination lock on one door so that locking myself out in my underwear is an irritation rather than an adventure.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Corley5

The original locks on this house we're "panic proof".  They were replaced with regular ones😉🙂

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

btulloh

Putting a $30 key safe outside is good insurance and better than just hiding a key. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-7-3-cu-in-Set-Your-Own-Combination-Wall-Mount-Lock-Box/3034052

It would be nice if all the locks worked the same way. Probably need to replace the ones that aren't correct.  Pretty sure that function can't be changed on an existing set. 
HM126

Corley5

An estimate on re-keying the existing ones vs. replacing them may be a good idea  :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

btulloh

Quote from: Corley5 on June 06, 2021, 08:01:24 AM
An estimate on re-keying the existing ones vs. replacing them may be a good idea  :)
Good point.  You can also take them to the locksmith instead of paying for a house call.
HM126

gspren

I'm going to call 2 locksmiths tomorrow, if it was just 1 or 2 I'd take them out but since it's 7 the house call might not be as painful.

btulloh

Peace of mind is worth a lot. Good idea to re-key. 
HM126

Old saw fixer

I'd like to redo my exterior locks/knobs to the lever style "knobs". Became acquainted with them while living in West Germany in the early 60's.  I didn't think about them much then, but in my early teens I didn't try to open a door with both hands full either!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Nebraska

I had the lever style for a while. The Labrador is good at opening but lousy at closing the door behind himself.  ::) They had to go....

chevytaHOE5674

I rekeyed 7 schlage knobs and 5 deadbolts for this house myself with a 60 dollar pin kit from lowes I think it was. Came with clear instructions and after the first one it was a breeze.

Old saw fixer

Dumb question maybe, but who cut the keys?  Way back when I worked in a Mopar dealership, I keyed my 1972 Dodge pickup to match the '78 Aspen.  Parts department had the kit. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

Old saw fixer

Quote from: Nebraska on June 07, 2021, 10:46:57 PM
I had the lever style for a while. The Labrador is good at opening but lousy at closing the door behind himself.  ::) They had to go....
We have no dogs, just a 20 month old grandson who stays with us 4 days a week.  I want another dog, it will be medium sized or smaller.  I'd love to get a mountain feist.
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

chevytaHOE5674

I was able to get a different set of keys from one of the box stores. Then just keyed all locks to that key.

Nebraska

The wife and I were lucky we didn't end up with a house possum, he left the door open so often.  Although I've heard they make an interesting pet....

gspren

I got them all changed yesterday, now the keys to our new house and the beach house in Delaware are the same. After we sell the farm later this summer I'll be able to thin out my key chain. Now to get a building permit for my new building.

Thank You Sponsors!