The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Decided to go gas. 8.1 to be exact. 04 model  (Read 2012 times)

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Decided to go older diesel. 6.0 PS vs Duramax vs 7.3 PS
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2021, 04:41:55 PM »
I installed the Ford 5 th wheel goose neck hitch in mine. I had the puck style 5 th wheel from my last truck. I do get a pretty good discount from Ford . It was the cheapest and best way to go. Itís very well built

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2021, 04:52:05 PM »
I would much rather have a 6.0 than a 7.3 and I have owned several. You will get tired of the noise. Donít even look at a 6.4 never had one never would..go a little newer and buy a 6.7 depending on the state the emissions warranty was extended to 11 years 120000 miles. Or if some parts fell off even better if you know what I mean.

Offline HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: need a higher output motor for my 01 Chevy 6.0
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »
I'm so happy me bride got it for me..... (Image hidden from quote, click to view.) (Image hidden from quote, click to view.) (Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Does your wife know what you're planning?
Yup. she's onboard. issue is my back and left leg. pain so bad makes me want to puke at times. riding in a car is the hardest thing for me to do. some days it's ok, others i want to claw myself out of the seat. The other issue is with all the pain medicine I'm on I have to have constant caffeine to keep me alert and the moment i set down my body wants to sleep. there are times where my head almost hits the desk where i'm typing a post. if i', moving it's ok

we were going to get a 5th wheel toy hauler, but have decided to get a motorhome. i can drive through the cities and she can drive in the countryside. i can laydown if need be then

@Southside Transmission is fine to about 600 hp. it's the heavy duty one

@btulloh I have a mechanic friend that wood do most of the work as long as not an engine rebuild. good idea on the LS3.....

@red yes, more torque

@alan gage a drop in is about 8k. long block basic about 2.5k

@mike_belben talked about that the other day. been up since 2 this mornin looking at engine prices i forgot about that. good idea, but wood buy a long block
Iím the same way. Iím moving my back feels 100% fine. If I sit for more than a hour it starts to pain me. Lately when I wake up in the night itís been so bad I canít stand on my left leg without yelling in pain, still hurts in the morning, pains gone by the time
My work boots are on. Strange.
I bulged a disc 7 years ago had pain badly for the first year then started to subside, in that time I have been strict on my lifting habits, I never arc or put my back in jeopardy anymore. All in the knees and legs. I canít stand watching the average joe lift something heavy, I can just see the damage being done, they wonít listen though so I donít bother. Learn after you hurt it I guess ??? 

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
My dad is a contractor and back in 2005, he ordered 10 6.0 ford Diesels.  Every winter when the weather turned and the guys needed work, they spent a week doing fluid maintenance on their trucks.  We only had minor problems with a few stand pipes and dummy plugs on the High Pressure Oil System.  

After seeing this and knowing the reputation of the 6.0, I did some investigating.  It seems the root cause for all the problems in the 6.0 was the coolant. Ford changed the coolant from ELC to their Gold brand.  This coolant was good, it's just the silicates fell out of suspension after enough heat cycles.  This then plugged up the oil cooler, which didn't allow coolant to the EGR cooler, which then over pressurized the cooling system and blew head gaskets. 

Since my dad's trucks were getting yearly coolant changes, none of these problems came up.  He still considers those 6.0 the best engine he's ever had in fleet trucks. 

In fact, he was so impressed with the 6.0, he bought himself one.  He still drives it up to the cabin in the summer.  It still gets fluid maintenance every winter and it still runs well.  Moral of the story, keep up on maintenance and any truck will be good.  And in diesels, over change the coolant, no matter what brand.  

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »
I have a soft spot for 7.3 trucks. Currently have two and id buy another if it came along.

Have a 99 ext cab with 256k miles with a zf6 behind it. Paid 3500 bucks lots of years ago so it doesn't owe me a dime. Spends 99% of its life with a snowplow on it or a 32' GN stacked with equipment or hay. Compared to today's diesels its a dog but other than brakes I've done nothing to the truck and I'd drive across country tmrw without hesitation. 

Picked up a 2 owner 2000 crew cab 7.3/auto with 104k miles last winter with no rust. Truck is as clean as new. It's the family go getter when we need to haul stuff in comfort. Paid 14k for it which seemed high at the time, but watching the market is very reasonable for the low miles and clean body. I've had 2 offers over 20k in the last 2 weeks. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2021, 11:28:30 PM »
I wont be buying any more complete running trucks at these after covid prices.  For what theyre asking it better come with road frontage, a culvert and utilities already in.   

Its just the principle.  I will just keep fixing cheap old stuff and not rush to work every morning with the joneses. 
Proverbs 19:11

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2021, 11:35:32 PM »
Now his is a 19 50000 miles just like mine he paid 68 k

I paid $10K more than that for a 1,700 square foot house, two story garage, barn, and 30 acres of land in Corinna back in '99.  Insane....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2021, 12:48:43 AM »
Snobdds, that is an interesting take on the 6.0 I hadn't heard before.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2021, 08:40:16 AM »
Last auction I went to had a nice, clean low mileage 4 door 3/4 ton Ford 6.0, which did not sell for a lot of money.  Everybody has heard the horror stories about the 6.0.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2021, 10:58:12 AM »
Snobdds, that is an interesting take on the 6.0 I hadn't heard before.
It's really a fantastic motor if kept up.  The bed plate on that thing is huge, I have never seen a bottom end failure on those. 
It was Ford's first electronically controlled diesel motor, and it wasn't designed in house.  The mechanics at first had no idea how to repair them, they were throwing blind at a dart board.  Thankfully Ford sold a ton of 6.0's and people soon figured them out.  There is no problem that not does not have an OEM solution today. 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2021, 12:05:24 PM »
The 6.0 was not the first electrionic diesel from Ford the 7.3  was and they were all international motors until the 6.7 came out in 2011. Most of the head gasket issues with the 6.0 are from leaking egr coolers they donít like burning coolant

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2021, 06:38:50 PM »
The 6.0 was not the first electrionic diesel from Ford the 7.3  was and they were all international motors until the 6.7 came out in 2011. Most of the head gasket issues with the 6.0 are from leaking egr coolers they donít like burning coolant
The 6.0 was the first electronic diesel in the contemporary sense.  The 7.3 could never have a turner plugged into an ODBII port and change injector duration at the flip of a switch, nor did codes get stored in the modern naming convention like today.  
What caused EGR coolers to leak, or more correctly, blow? 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2021, 05:58:22 AM »
If the 7.3 power stroke was not electronic then why did a scan tool work on it. That fuel system was a joint venture between cat and in. I never google stuff like this if I donít know it I donít type it

Online Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2021, 12:36:36 PM »
Have 2, 6.0 on hold. One comes home tonight....... Both head studded. EGR delete. One has new injectors for sure. Other most likely, but not sure....... which one it is depends on truck #1..... truck #2 is a done deal if I can't close on truck #1....... cone_1

Offline JBlain

• Forestry, woodworking, mushroom harvesting
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »
I have been running 7.3s for about 15 years.  First was an 1997 with the zf5.  Great dependable truck.  Had kids and bought a 2001 auto crew with 8ft bed and low miles.   It has been bullet proof and still running strong at 234k miles.  I just can't justify the cost of new ones even though they ride like luxury cars and have even more torque.   
Josh

Online Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Decided to go gas. 8.1 to be exact. 04 model
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2021, 02:44:52 PM »
The more I looked at used diesels and the continued theme of "I'm selling it due to I can no longer afford to fix it". Worst was the Fords, then there were a fair number of GM's also. No dodges came up in my search parameters, but they have some issues also. Based on that we bought a 8.1. I know, I know we won't be passing a lot of gas stations, but I use it about once a week and tow maybe once a month that this truck wood be needed vs my suburban. There are a few things I think i can do to 'help' with the mpg, but nothing dramatic for sure

Offline coalsmok

• Share Post
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2021, 08:08:47 PM »
I had the pleasure of driving one of the 8.1 chevys. Fully loaded tool bed cruising up the road at 80 with plenty of pedal left. Only truck I ever seen that could break motor mounts on command. Load the truck load a trailer and start up a steep lease road in 4l. When the going got hard it wasnít unusual to hear the fan hit the fan shroud. 
 I was really sad when it got sold without me knowing. Would have gladly brought it home for the price it went for. 

Online Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2021, 09:40:55 PM »
I'm sending one of my guys up to get it tomorrow, so I guess we'll see. Everything I've read is a plus besides mpg. I did find a set of stainless headers , so that will help some. I see that make a supercharger for it also. 635 ft lbs of torque. That will need a rebuild, as the factory pistons will only take 5 psi. The max on that rebuild 8 psi. That will maybe be a possibility next year. Maybe

Online Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2021, 09:48:08 PM »
Here she is. Wife said it gets a lift and 20's as soon as she arrives.....

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2021, 10:31:55 PM »
Well that will help the fuel mileage.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter