iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decided to go gas. 8.1 to be exact. 04 model

Started by Sedgehammer, June 06, 2021, 06:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

The 6.0 was not the first electrionic diesel from Ford the 7.3  was and they were all international motors until the 6.7 came out in 2011. Most of the head gasket issues with the 6.0 are from leaking egr coolers they don't like burning coolant

snobdds

Quote from: snowstorm on June 09, 2021, 12:05:24 PM
The 6.0 was not the first electrionic diesel from Ford the 7.3  was and they were all international motors until the 6.7 came out in 2011. Most of the head gasket issues with the 6.0 are from leaking egr coolers they don't like burning coolant
The 6.0 was the first electronic diesel in the contemporary sense.  The 7.3 could never have a turner plugged into an ODBII port and change injector duration at the flip of a switch, nor did codes get stored in the modern naming convention like today.  
What caused EGR coolers to leak, or more correctly, blow? 

snowstorm

If the 7.3 power stroke was not electronic then why did a scan tool work on it. That fuel system was a joint venture between cat and in. I never google stuff like this if I don't know it I don't type it

Sedgehammer

Have 2, 6.0 on hold. One comes home tonight....... Both head studded. EGR delete. One has new injectors for sure. Other most likely, but not sure....... which one it is depends on truck #1..... truck #2 is a done deal if I can't close on truck #1....... cone_1
Necessity is the engine of drive

JBlain

I have been running 7.3s for about 15 years.  First was an 1997 with the zf5.  Great dependable truck.  Had kids and bought a 2001 auto crew with 8ft bed and low miles.   It has been bullet proof and still running strong at 234k miles.  I just can't justify the cost of new ones even though they ride like luxury cars and have even more torque.   
Josh

Sedgehammer

The more I looked at used diesels and the continued theme of "I'm selling it due to I can no longer afford to fix it". Worst was the Fords, then there were a fair number of GM's also. No dodges came up in my search parameters, but they have some issues also. Based on that we bought a 8.1. I know, I know we won't be passing a lot of gas stations, but I use it about once a week and tow maybe once a month that this truck wood be needed vs my suburban. There are a few things I think i can do to 'help' with the mpg, but nothing dramatic for sure

coalsmok

I had the pleasure of driving one of the 8.1 chevys. Fully loaded tool bed cruising up the road at 80 with plenty of pedal left. Only truck I ever seen that could break motor mounts on command. Load the truck load a trailer and start up a steep lease road in 4l. When the going got hard it wasn't unusual to hear the fan hit the fan shroud. 
 I was really sad when it got sold without me knowing. Would have gladly brought it home for the price it went for. 

Sedgehammer

I'm sending one of my guys up to get it tomorrow, so I guess we'll see. Everything I've read is a plus besides mpg. I did find a set of stainless headers , so that will help some. I see that make a supercharger for it also. 635 ft lbs of torque. That will need a rebuild, as the factory pistons will only take 5 psi. The max on that rebuild 8 psi. That will maybe be a possibility next year. Maybe

Sedgehammer

Here she is. Wife said it gets a lift and 20's as soon as she arrives.....

Southside

Well that will help the fuel mileage.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Like I said
I had a 8.1 it was a beast and pulled hard.
The new ford gas 7.3 is getting factory twin turbos next year.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

snobdds

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 16, 2021, 05:50:44 AM
Like I said
I had a 8.1 it was a beast and pulled hard.
The new ford gas 7.3 is getting factory twin turbos next year.
A twin turbo 7.3 from the factory. OMG, take my money. 
This might be the only way I get out of the diesel for heavy hauling. 

Skip

I ordered a 21, 2-3 months go. Dealership said it has been converted to a 22  ::) ,said I might get it by fall . I ordered the 7.3 gasser if it comes with twins, it just might be worth the wait  ;D .

Bruno of NH

If I won the lottery 
I would get a f250 2wd with 7.3 twin turbos lower it , cat backs, chip it and 60's all around.
And do some smoke shows around town  :D :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

reride82

Does it have an Allison transmission behind it? My dad has an 04 with 55-60K miles on it I believe. It pulls like a freight train, but mileage was terrible thus the low miles. Now he has a 6.7 Powerstroke so it mostly sits. He won't sell it, which is aggravating :D

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Bruno of NH

I had an Allison in mine it pulled hard .
5 to 6 miles a gallon at most.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 17, 2021, 07:27:28 AM
If I won the lottery
I would get a f250 2wd with 7.3 twin turbos lower it , cat backs, chip it and 60's all around.
And do some smoke shows around town  :D :D
The "brodozer" lol 
A1

mike_belben

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 17, 2021, 05:41:16 PM
That is pitiful.  Old semis fully loaded get that in the mountains. Theres no excuse for a pickup to be that bad. 

My 12v dually got 11 with a bad convertor!
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

Has Allison 
12 mpg empty 
7-8 mpg loaded

The 16 duramax gets 9.5 loaded with same load

I'll take the gasser. Small fuel tank. That sucks

On the 7.3 gas from ford w/ twins. No need for it to have twins. The extremely small advant isn't worth the extra costs in my opine. A motor that small and with that low of boost psi, nope

barbender

I wouldn't be surprused if the twin turbo setup has more to do with emissions than power.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

Quote from: mike_belben on June 21, 2021, 08:53:21 AM
That is pitiful.  Old semis fully loaded get that in the mountains. Theres no excuse for a pickup to be that bad.

I was jobing around a lot when I had that truck.
24' job trailer on the back pulling lots of hills in NH and Vt

Sedgehammer

Quote from: barbender on July 02, 2021, 02:12:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprused if the twin turbo setup has more to do with emissions than power.
Yeah maybe, but hard to see where 2 help in any noticeable way, but they wood know that if that was the case

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on July 02, 2021, 05:04:47 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on June 21, 2021, 08:53:21 AM

I was jobing around a lot when I had that truck.
24' job trailer on the back pulling lots of hills in NH and Vt
and how much better does a diesel get pulling same load. Like I said earlier, we get about 2 mpg lower pulling same load. If that holds or anywhere near that, again proves that the diesel isn't worth the extra costs

chevytaHOE5674

When you say loaded what does that mean? 20k lbs? 5k lbs?

Your loaded diesel mpg seems low. Guy hauls a lot of hay for me with 21k lbs of bales on a 9?k lbs trailer and averages 13.5.

I hauled almost 17k lbs of pipe and trailer behind my old 7.3 2 weeks ago and averaged 16.3 over a 250 mile trip.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on July 02, 2021, 07:04:00 PM
When you say loaded what does that mean? 20k lbs? 5k lbs?

Your loaded diesel mpg seems low. Guy hauls a lot of hay for me with 21k lbs of bales on a 9?k lbs trailer and averages 13.5.

I hauled almost 17k lbs of pipe and trailer behind my old 7.3 2 weeks ago and averaged 16.3 over a 250 mile trip.

The diesel doesn't even know its back there. Amazing power. On the mileage. I didn't manually check it. I was going by the computer. The gas we manually checked

I guess it could be off, but doubt that much

Thank You Sponsors!