The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Cattle Rub vs Ear Tags.  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
Re: Cattle Rub vs Ear Tags.
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 09:49:35 PM »
Surprisingly, throughout the 80's and early 90's I was a 100 sow farrow-to-finish operator, which nicely complemented the 2500 acre cash crop operation.

How can I help?

Leigh
zippski
Ten years prior to that we were a 300 sow farrow-to-finish operation that went broke trying to feed them (total crop failures in back to back years in '79 and '80).  Of course the fact that hogs dropped to about $.13 at the same time didn't help the situation much.   :-\
Everything around here is grown on contract now (for Smithfield Foods).  I know a few folks that made a decent living doing it over the last 25 years.  As for me, the only hog I want to see is right beside me eggs in the morning........and I do like bacon. ;D  

Wud
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2021, 11:46:08 PM »
Well im surprised it took 2 pages to get to food on a beef thread but i dont want to fully derail it so i made a thread to ask some piggy questions. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=115780.new#new
Isaiah 63:10

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »
We used to use a IGR mineral but found after years of use we had no worms, grubs, dung beetles, etc. A manure patty would persist in the field untouched for 2 or more years as there was no bug action to break them down.

Now we fly tag (using alternating active ingredients every year), we also pour on with a product like Ultra Boss, or Ultra Saber. Fly control is as good as one could ask for, and we have worms and grubs that break down manure patties in short order. A cow pie doesn't last more that a few weeks now.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 10:54:06 AM »
Bought a rub pillow today. I'll see how that works out.
how did the rub work out?  

greg judy, who does not put anything in his cows that i know of, and uses birdhouses to try controlling flies, has a video about pouring on some sort of parasitic moth larvae into the cow pies. i guess they eat the fly larvae and dont bother the cow.  havent seen a followup vid but did not go looking either.

would chickens being grazed behind cows help consume fly larvae from the plops or no?  i figure they may scratch and spread the manure further into the soil and faster than by rain action alone.  anyone with experience?

by the way, for incessant flies that get inside my home from kids with the door wide open, the most convenient killer is all surface windex, yellow liquid.. the one with L-Lactic acid for an active ingredient.  one good stationary direct hit will kill them in 7...6...5... but a flyby dusting shot will usually knock the unswattable off trajectory long enough for a 2nd good spritz.  best part is its not some poison.. its literally house cleaner so you can be blasting all over with reckless abandon then just wipe up and kill 2 birds with one stone.  

i also use orange antibacterial palmolive in my laundry.. L-Lactic acid in that too and it kills any musty stink from boys soaking wet swim stuff hiding in the bottom of a basket for 2 days.  blue dawn ultra is the best grease removing laundry soap and manly shower scrub ever invented, and dawn makes an antibacterial orange version like palmolive but it does not use Lactic acid and does not kill the musty stink of wet clothes.   i should be buying dawn by the pail.  tire bead lube, mosquito larvae killer...

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 11:17:49 AM »
I can't say the rub isn't working but it doesn't seem to help much. I am still having to spray them every 5-7 days.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2021, 12:32:44 PM »
would chickens being grazed behind cows help consume fly larvae from the plops or no?  i figure they may scratch and spread the manure further into the soil and faster than by rain action alone.  anyone with experience?

It works - but you need a lot of chickens.  Today I have about 500 between layers and broilers out there - the broiler population is about to start dropping.  Anyway - that hardly makes an honest dent in the pies / flies.  Grasshoppers, stink bugs, and other slower, lower insects are targeted a lot more.  At any time however there are hundreds of cow birds out with the cows and in the spring they nest everywhere - they do make a difference for sure, and they are faster moving so they stay with the cows.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2021, 09:19:18 PM »

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2021, 10:36:01 AM »
 When we were millking we had rub bags hanging in the out door of the milk room and in the doorway going into the barn.And also out in the pasture under tree limbs where the cow liked to bed in the afternoons. worked great 8). After we put them I only had to mist the barn once a month before it was twice a week  >:(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Log Tags

Started by nativewolf on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post February 20, 2018, 08:53:00 PM
by nativewolf
thumbup
New Car Tags

Started by DanG on General Board

11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2008, 09:00:40 PM
by SwampDonkey