iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Devastating fire

Started by sawguy21, July 01, 2021, 10:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I mentioned the other day on the weather thread that the temperature in Lytton BC was 117 degrees, a new Canadian record. Well, it got a lot hotter yesterday. A wildfire took the whole village out, we are still waiting for details but so far no word on casualties. :( Highway 1 and both railways are shut down.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

Frightening to even think about surviving those temperatures and then a wildfire. 
Say when

doc henderson

hope everyone comes out OK.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

:embarassed:

Prayers on the way.  
Praise The Lord

Stephen1

Keep us up to date. My son just moved to West  Kelowna and has been watching the fires getting closer
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

Nasty business that heat and uncontrollable fire.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

It will be challenging to fight. A narrow canyon with high walls makes waterbombing difficult at best and the fast flowing and rocky Fraser river is the only supply. One highway in and out makes deploying ground crews dangerous, if the fire shifts they have few options, the wind is unpredictable.

zippski

My son lives about 150km northeast of the affected area, in Kamloops.  He is second in command at a large cedar sawmill/fence contracting business there.  He called Monday and said it was just unbearably hot at work  Crews are only making it to about 11:00am before bagging off from the yard for the day.  Even the breeze doesn't help; "It's like standing in front of a hairdryer, Dad".
###pic removed..needs to be in you gallery####
Anyway, I've spent a lot of time over the years backcountry skiing around Lyett/Lilloet in the Chilcotin Mountains and in the Monashees to the west.  This is an absolutely gorgeous area of sharp, shark's tooth peaks (less so in the southern Monashees which are more open and rounded).  Most of Lilloet is essentially native land, so the town itself is pretty ragged looking.  But, man, this is simply gorgeous country adjacent to the town proper.  

But yes, infrastructure in the area is generally quite poor, and the rugged topography and climate makes for deadly combination in fighting wildfires.

I will be shocked if Lytton ever recovers from this devastation.  Very sad.  BC has already experienced 280 heat deaths since this started with more to come I am sure.

Leigh
zippski
Leigh
zippski

HemlockKing

Quote from: zippski on July 01, 2021, 06:44:02 PM
My son lives about 150km northeast of the affected area, in Kamloops.  He is second in command at a large cedar sawmill/fence contracting business there.  He called Monday and said it was just unbearably hot at work  Crews are only making it to about 11:00am before bagging off from the yard for the day.  Even the breeze doesn't help; "It's like standing in front of a hairdryer, Dad".
###pic removed..needs to be in you gallery####
Anyway, I've spent a lot of time over the years backcountry skiing around Lyett/Lilloet in the Chilcotin Mountains and in the Monashees to the west.  This is an absolutely gorgeous area of sharp, shark's tooth peaks (less so in the southern Monashees which are more open and rounded).  Most of Lilloet is essentially native land, so the town itself is pretty ragged looking.  But, man, this is simply gorgeous country adjacent to the town proper.  

But yes, infrastructure in the area is generally quite poor, and the rugged topography and climate makes for deadly combination in fighting wildfires.

I will be shocked if Lytton ever recovers from this devastation.  Very sad.  BC has already experienced 280 heat deaths since this started with more to come I am sure.

Leigh
zippski
I seen pictures of the town, 90% is burned down, at this point it may turn into a abandoned ghost town. All the commodity infrastructure is gone. 
A1

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

No fires close to us yet but we have to be prepared to leave on a moments notice. We are used to hot dry summers but nothing like this! Another one flared up within Kamloops (population 90,000) city limits yesterday and people were evacuated but the emergency shelters are already full of Lytton residents. No casualties or structures lost so far. Castlegar is also threatened, this is not going to be a good summer.

Roxie

Checking in to see how you're doing and if the temperature has eased down. 
Say when

sawguy21

There are still a number of fires but nothing major close to us. A few small ones have popped up but forestry quickly got on them. Temps are in low 80's, that coupled with high overcast has made it a lot more tolerable although the air is quite smoky.

firefighter ontheside

Wow.  That temp is hard to imagine in BC.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ron Scott

Hope the weather cooperates soon. A tough landscape for firefighting.
~Ron

moodnacreek

Find it hard to imagen temps that high that far north. For a village to be wiped out is sad and will be for a long time.

Roxie

Sawguy21, what have the impacts been to crops and gardens?  The livestock and crops must be under severe stress. 

What a year when Texas freezes and British Columbia fries!  
Say when

sawguy21

Not good. The second cutting of our hay crop should be well under way but that isn't happening. Fruit is literally cooking on the vine, raspberries are a write off and tree fruits are way down. The only thing doing well are the weeds, sprinkling is banned and the lawns are the colour of barley. It is 88 at 11:30 and no relief in sight for at least two weeks. I have a go bag in the truck in case I have to grab the dog and leave.

Nebraska

Hang in there.  Glad you are prepared.

Tacotodd

Who thought that you might need a BOB (Bug Out Bag) in case of a fire! WOW. 

Sawguy21, I hope that things get to a sense of normalcy for you, somehow!
Trying harder everyday.

sawguy21

Between this and Covid I'm not even sure what normal is anymore.

HemlockKing

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 08, 2021, 11:39:00 PM
Between this and Covid I'm not even sure what normal is anymore.
I'm remember thinking that especially around April 2020 when portipique happened. 
A1

sawguy21

CN and CP rail lines through Lytton have been temorarily shut down presumably to allow inspection of the infrastructure which will cost millions of dollars per day. That effectively shuts off rail traffic to our largest port except for BCRail and BNSF who are minor players. It is also the third largest in North America to give an idea of volume.

Thank You Sponsors!