iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reclaiming a Woodland Pond

Started by Jeff, July 08, 2021, 07:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

It must have been your son's lucky shoestrings!. I'd have skinned and fried the fish with baked beans and cole slaw and either tater tots or grits on the side. digin1

And if those aren't decoys I think you have the laziest ducks I have ever seen. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

That's amazing!  As the saying goes "Life will find a way."  How long have you owned the pond?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

We closed on the property a year ago last april, but I have been part of the property since 1994 when my sister bought it. My videos in the cabin play list sort of tell the story. Not a lot of sawmill stuff, but my personal loves. Behind the forum.

As far as I know, and definitly in the last 15 years, no fish were put in that pond and no one ever thought to throw a line in. Im still amazed!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

That fish was waiting a loooong time for someone to throw a worm in there!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Walnut Beast

Awesome! Thank the ducks and geese! Didn't you think you could get the hook 🪝 out

thecfarm

It was hungry!!! That was quick.
Maybe some fish food and see how many come to the top to eat it.
Get the floating kind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

15 years, and they just did their thing.  Amazing.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 15, 2022, 03:37:06 PM
15 years, and they just did their thing.  Amazing.  
Yea, and this is not a kind climate here. Winters are long and hard. I'd bet that pond freezes to the bottom some years, 4ft deep is about it.

charles mann

What that machine did in a few hours would take me 2-3x that with my shredder and tractor. 
I went back out to property in east tx to link up with a guy to bid the job of bringing his mulcher in. I spent around 8hrs on the hobbs meter and made a huge dent, or what i thought was huge dent, in the under brush, to where he and i could walk the perimeter to get an idea of what he needs to knock over. He said it would still take 8-10 hrs to knock it down (not mulch, just make it manageable) enough for me to run my shredder over to break it down more. There some places im not brave enough to take tractor in, and hate to hire a person to take his machine where i wont take mine, but his equip is more designed for the job, than my 7060 kubota and heavy duty shredder. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

21incher

Great video. The heartbreaker is when you watch a heron land in the pond , grab that fish then swallow it whole. We loose many  fish to them.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Nebraska

I had an excavator come in and do some digging two years ago, just to get some deep water back in mine. I think I spent  1500.00$.  Helped a bunch!  A good operator could give you some deeper water, and you could leave the silt set over winter then  haul it to your food plots or fill in low spots withi it as you like.  Early spring bullhead eat ok after the ice comes off, there used to be a few bullhead feeds in Minnesota when we lived there for community fund raisers.

Jeff

Our little Upper Peninsula pond never ceases to amaze me on the life it contains and supports and has provided us with a lot of free, natural entertainment. Frogs and tadpoles, minnows and Bullhead Catfish. The fish, we never even knew existed just a year ago! This past weekend my daughter and her beau Joe came to visit for the weekend, and we took full advantage of our little nature provided entertainment venue. 

I invite you to come along
https://youtu.be/JITuUv4DCLs

Old Greenhorn

That was fun. Y'all need to put a couple of slab benches out by the pond so ya can sit, relax and fish....or wrestle with the frogs.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Got a lotta rain the last 10 days and my little pond is full past it's cleaned up edges.

Pics, spring last year vrs fall this year.

A bit of improvement eh?

thecfarm

Poor thing!!!
It's froze in!!!
Yes. looks much different.  
Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I'll say. And it sure grew with that new rain. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!