iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geofabric tensile strength...?

Started by MacPhly, September 19, 2021, 12:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacPhly

I spent last week clearing a site for my sawmill and need to put in a driveway/road to access the lot. I've been reading a lot about geofabric both here and elsewhere. My soil is very soft when wet with lots of clay. I'm planning to use a woven fabric. Will likely be going over it initially with DOT Type D. With 3/4 gravel over top at some later date. My question is: What tensile strength should I be using? Road will mostly be pickup truck and tractor traffic with occasional log truck or dump truck. What should I be using? 

Thanks
Mac

jmouton

dont know about strengh but i have used that stuff for other things than its intended use,,  and it is pretty strong, i think the stuff i used for retaining wall block had a 1 inch square pattern, it was tough to cut too and heavy
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

sprucebunny

I've used several 500 foot rolls of the omni directional Meraffi (sp.) fabric. It's crazy strong and reasonably priced. If I was worried about strength, I'd use 2 layers with 6-8" of good packing fill between them.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Crusarius

I used the cheap 3' wide roll of landscape fabric and it worked enough to keep the driveway from disappearing. However, the clay seeped up through the fabric and gravel. I did tear it putting it down though and I think the tear is where the clay leaked through.

I think that section of the driveway has been in place for over 3 years now. Maybe closer to 5. I park 4 vehicles on it and its still working great.

Patrick NC

For your application a fabric that weigs 3 oz  per square yard and has 150lb tensile strength should be fine. If you think you're going to have more big truck traffic at some point then go either a 5 oz /250lb product. For best results be sure to have a minimum of 12" of gravel on top of it. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Iwawoodwork

The big mistake many road builders make is using to small/fine base rock. for regular drive way with an occasional 12-15 yd dump or load or two of logs, a minimum base of 3" rock  6" deep over the fabric topped with 3-4 " of 1" or 1 1/2" will make a good base that will not sink out of sight is just a few years

Erik A

I don't know about your area or cost but they lime treat the ground under some streets out here (Sacramento area). Makes it as hard as a rock!

Thank You Sponsors!