iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to tell which kind of walnut logs I have…???

Started by Segerdog, October 12, 2021, 08:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segerdog

I've been doing some urban salvaging and have come across several different types of walnut trees. Leaves were already gone or dried up so wasn't able to tell that way. 
Some I know is black walnut. And it's really dark the others are different shades of brown. 
By the nuts I seen on the ground they all seem to be a black walnut of some type. Not an English walnut 

Any thoughts?

WDH

If the nut husk splits, it is not walnut, it is hickory.

I cannot tell you how many times someone's walnut is a hickory.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Segerdog

I'm in eastern Oregon .... 
I don't know as I have seen any hickory trees around here.... Or maybe I just didn't know what I was looking at

I was trying to put some pics up but just keep getting error messages. Been awhile since I posted anything and can't seem to remember how I did it before 

Segerdog

I was reading a thing from a guy at gobi walnut and he listed off quite a number of different walnut trees. The Oregon black walnut seemed to be about the darkest. The eastern and western varieties and the claro. They were all more brown 

WDH

Ok.  Should have looked at where you are from.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sailor Mars

Best thing to do outside of looking at local species and comparing it to what you have is just doing wood ID, use a dichotomous key or something and look at the color and grain
Forestry undergrad, forest tech and trail crew work

Southside

Quote from: WDH on October 12, 2021, 09:41:21 AM
Ok.  Should have looked at where you are from.  
What we've got here, is failure to communicate.... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

Struthers Martin I believe is the actors name. Cool hand Luke is the movie (for those that don't know) :P
Trying harder everyday.

Don P

Old Greenhorn

Photos of the nuts and bark and anything else would be most helpful here. There are photo posting instructions at the bottom of the main page (under the various forum section listings).
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

kantuckid

Given that you-OP- have nuts-crack one and eat it? Use the taste test to know which walnut ya got? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Don P

The black walnuts are dropping here. It's sort of like the first snowfall of winter, it catches me unawares the first time I round a curve onto big marbles crunching under my wheels. Otentimes I'll round a curve this time of year and there is a party going on of crows, squirrels and deer on the crushed nuts in the road.

Southside

Wind picked up the other day and it sounded like the worst hail storm ever. Really heavy year for walnuts here and they get your attention when 20 or more are falling out of every tree at the same time. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

The mockernut hickory nuts are falling on my metal roof on my workshop, sounds like gunshots going off. 

mike_belben

the gunshots around my place sound like hickory nuts falling on tin roofs. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

I got a whole bucket full to plant next to my syrup maples for replacement shade.  the grandkids can climb walnut. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

I have a large buckeye that protrudes through the deck alongside our living room. This year there were lots of buckeyes and we got bombed for a week or so on my standing seam roof. A visiting son's English setter was well along with chewing into one in my LR. Not sure how they affect dogs.In the woods seems to be less squirrels than at my house as there lots of hickory nuts on the ground? 
About 15 miles from me is one of the contract walnut huller/buyers. I have no idea what they are paying but not something I'll do as too much back bending for me. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!