The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Woodshed Floor  (Read 506 times)

Offline jmaine

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Woodshed Floor
« on: October 15, 2021, 05:34:49 AM »
Good morning gentlemen,   

Looking for some advice. I'm currently cutting some timbers for a 14 x 16 woodshed. It will be a timber frame with many of the members being 7" x 7".  I'm using Eastern Hemlock I'm cutting from my own land and sawing on my LT15. We burn 5 to 6 cords per year and I'm hoping the shed will be able to hold 10-12 cords. The sills are all 7 x 7, the joists will be 6" x 6", roughly 24" on center.  The flooring will be 2" hemlock.  Given the amount of wood and the weight per cord, I'm a bit concerned the flooring (joists and flooring) won't be beefy enough to support the weight?  I've looked at various online calculators but they all seem to be geared towards dimension lumber.   

The shed will be on 12" concrete piers with a 18"x18" footing. For the front and back, the piers will be 8' on center, 7' on center for the sides.  I'm thinking maybe I should have a pier in the center of the building with a timber spanning the full 16'. So, a 16' beam in the front, one in the middle and one in the back with the 6" x 6" joists spanning between them. 

Any thoughts/advice?  I'll gladly posts pics and the plans once it's done (hopefully in November). My wife is looking at my pile of wood and the mess I'm making and starting to wonder if I know what I'm doing.... ::)

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Woodshed Floor
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 07:10:05 AM »
If it was a snake it would have bit ya  :D
Untitled (forestryforum.com)
Click on the heavy timber simple beam calc.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 07:11:52 AM »
how about a concrete floor with a vapor barrier under, and a sleeper boards to keep the wood up off the surface.  maybe even up a bit to blow air under the stacks.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline jmaine

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 08:59:00 AM »
Good thought on the concrete floor, but the location is on a bit of a slope and would require a lot of fill to make it level. The piers on the back will be about two feet above ground level. I'm going to put down some landscape fabric and crused stone under the shed. There might be enough room under the shed to store a few items (kayaks, ladders, etc).  

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 05:31:02 PM »
Coon hounds, whatever  :)

Ours formed a section of heavy retaining wall, we are blessed with rocks. the fill is rocks and concrete slurry capped by a slab and the woodshed, mine is tiny compared to yours though.

The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Radiant Floor heating within a finished ceiling/ floor.

Started by Rooster on Timber Framing/Log construction

42 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 11:50:11 AM
by frwinks
xx
Woodshed

Started by Bruno of NH on General Board

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2019, 08:39:57 PM
by Southside
xx
Woodshed