The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 12' High Log Walls?  (Read 947 times)

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 12' High Log Walls?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2021, 09:09:59 AM »
On another note if you used regular height walls and added 10 feet to the length of your building you would have just as much usable floor space and a lot more wall space. 

The up side: way easier to build and way easier upkeep in the future, the space is more  accessible.

The down side: more foundation, more roof. 

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »
Our home is a copycat (reversed) of a new England Log Homes model with a main rectangle having a loft & porch/front extention along the front length and a rear porch aside of a 2nd story 20' log pen having a double, full length dormer. What was the original LR has a tie log across the room as a wall stiffener. The rear section along with the front features also work to support walls as do the log ceiling joists over the kitchen. As a commercial design it's obviously an engineered structure. I used sawed rafters which exceed the strength of the pole rafters used by New England LH's.

My current smaller cabin self design is exactly same size 16 x 20 and general design as the one shown by the OP below his parent house. I considered purlins but will use a truss beam roof support in mine. The trick is as mentioned earlier, to properly support the roof while not creating a head knocker in the loft area. Our homes loft is problematic headroom wise for people over 6' tall which includes all our three son's, one who had his BR there. I'll use a combo of a tie log and ceiling joists across the width of my small cabin, along with the roof support and full porch across the front.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 06:46:50 PM »
As a commercial design it's obviously an engineered structure.

Just picking at a point there. I built for at least a dozen LH companies, the vast majority were drawn by designers, unlicensed, with notation somewhere that said it was up to you to get engineering if the inspector required it. That was pretty rare and usually hired out by the company. I can think of 3 that had someone on staff. Who's license was good in their surrounding states. The old "trust but verify".
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Lifting log on top of walls

Started by Iommi on Timber Framing/Log construction

7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2021, 06:17:31 PM
by Don P
xx
Timberframe Walls

Started by witterbound on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 01:45:13 PM
by xtenon