The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??  (Read 50545 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2022, 01:40:18 AM »
Brandi i did not mean to imply you should not cut it, and it can be pretty wood, but it is some work.  I know you are not afraid of that.  I think it is guys and gals, or boys and girls.  that politically correct stuff seeps in.  I like to say Merry Christmas, but if I suspect someone might be other than Christian (based on looks), I might say Happy Holidays.  maybe that is more "racist" than just saying Merry Christmas.  oh well.  :-\

I like my maple boards I got from an ugly log.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2022, 08:53:43 AM »
I was a little confused as I opened the thread.  I forgot that it is a new year, so Happy New Year.  I have spent the new year in bed and confined to my bedroom with the Covid.  Last year I had a goal to do more sawing for customers bringing logs to me for sawing.  That did not happen and that's ok.  I have plenty of my own logs to saw.  I need to get a lot of logs sawn and drying.  I would really like to get a bunch of walnut dried and put in storage at my wife's office.  I have had a lot of people looking for slabs and had nothing to sell.  Spending several months working on bedroom floor didn't help with that.  I think I might be building more walnut furniture in the future too, especially live edge tables.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2022, 09:37:43 AM »
Well Bill, at least you have a beautiful floor to looks at while you are lying there! (Not to mention that chair in the corner!) Feel better man, tomorrow is another year.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »
Howard, just say yall.  That includes everyone, even the glaciated types.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2022, 10:03:48 AM »
Danny,

Thanks but then there will probably be complaints of singular vs plural tenses from selected members.  ::)

There just ain't no justice in this world. Here I was just trying to be helpful and post in the spirit of ultimate inclusiveness and look at how much grief I get. (If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.) :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2022, 10:11:44 AM »
I was trying to include the grits bashing glaciated types too to show that I am an open minded guy person individual man.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2022, 10:18:00 AM »
Well Bill, at least you have a beautiful floor to looks at while you are lying there! (Not to mention that chair in the corner!) Feel better man, tomorrow is another year.
True, Tom, the view isn't that bad.  I'm also seeing a little bit of snow falling out the window that makes me happy. Also I can see my sawmill, mule and tractor out the window. 

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2022, 10:33:07 AM »
Brandi,

I think you are out of touch. Don't you know gender specific pronouns and terms and such are no longer allowed? I am just trying to be politically correct and ensure all FF members know I care and love them equally - even the ones who criticize my ATV driving. :D

Anyway, I was just trying to help and I apologize if anything I said unintentionally offended you - usually when I offend people it is on purpose. :D Take care, Be careful with that big ugly RO crotch log.
I like gals vs. girls as its more age neutral? ;D  Are we really gonna "go there"? on wokeness...such as birth person, etc..
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2022, 10:40:43 AM »

It's -27   , nothing   Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2022, 10:46:06 AM »

It's -27   , nothing   Steve
I was in Ely MN in about 1995 and it was -30.  Man that was cold.  My little Ford Ranger used to living in MO did not want to start.  It did start and ran at about 3rpm for a long time.  Slowly it began to speed up.  I headed south and the cab did not heat up.  I think I was in Biwabik when I stopped and bungee corded my floormats to the grill to cover up the radiator.  It finally began to warm up in the cab.  I drove all the way back to MO like that.  The next day I replaced the thermostat which had stuck open.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline sumday

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2022, 11:01:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies on the yarn bowls. I'll Google them up.

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2022, 01:03:12 PM »
Brandi i did not mean to imply you should not cut it, and it can be pretty wood, but it is some work.  I know you are not afraid of that.  I think it is guys and gals, or boys and girls.  that politically correct stuff seeps in.  I like to say Merry Christmas, but if I suspect someone might be other than Christian (based on looks), I might say Happy Holidays.  maybe that is more "racist" than just saying Merry Christmas.  oh well.  :-\

Doc,
Nothing implied or heard.  These two bigger logs are just too big for my sawmill.  Like you said, it is a lot of work.  Just turning a large non straight log is a lot of work.  Putting that much work in and getting ruined slabs from waves is a non starter for me.  It will be firewood.
The rejected log was almost too big.  The clamp stopped about a foot from clearing the log and could only be used as a chock.
I was just teasing Howard.  Back in the 8th grade, in marching band, our row leader was a girl from Michigan.  She called everyone, "U guys". That was very different to hear when you were raised hearing, "Y'all".
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2022, 01:17:29 PM »
I was a little confused as I opened the thread.  I forgot that it is a new year, so Happy New Year.  I have spent the new year in bed and confined to my bedroom with the Covid.  Last year I had a goal to do more sawing for customers bringing logs to me for sawing.  That did not happen and that's ok.  I have plenty of my own logs to saw.  I need to get a lot of logs sawn and drying.  I would really like to get a bunch of walnut dried and put in storage at my wife's office.  I have had a lot of people looking for slabs and had nothing to sell.  Spending several months working on bedroom floor didn't help with that.  I think I might be building more walnut furniture in the future too, especially live edge tables.
It is amazing how magically customers show up and ruin our wood building projects. smiley_swinging_board smiley_furious3  My WM salesman told me to hide my sawmill when I got it home for that reason. smiley_huh
Get feeling better smiley_thumbsup and SAW that Maple and get it drying. smiley_chop  I think I let a 12 inch Hickory log ruin on the stack.  Cut an inch off the end yesterday, after noticing damage, and it is all spalted. dadgum you, Charlie!  
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2022, 02:06:48 PM »
 :P  Until the snow melts (sometime in July?)

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2022, 02:54:15 PM »
I was a little confused as I opened the thread.  I forgot that it is a new year, so Happy New Year.  I have spent the new year in bed and confined to my bedroom with the Covid.  Last year I had a goal to do more sawing for customers bringing logs to me for sawing.  That did not happen and that's ok.  I have plenty of my own logs to saw.  I need to get a lot of logs sawn and drying.  I would really like to get a bunch of walnut dried and put in storage at my wife's office.  I have had a lot of people looking for slabs and had nothing to sell.  Spending several months working on bedroom floor didn't help with that.  I think I might be building more walnut furniture in the future too, especially live edge tables.
Interesting you say that, are you on a better wicket sawing other people's logs rather than creating your own stock?
Any time people ask me to saw their stuff I try and weasel out of it now, I'd do it for friends only really.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2022, 03:15:25 PM »
It will be firewood.
Some "logs" do not even qualify as firewood except maybe "bonfire".   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline biggkidd

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2022, 04:43:59 PM »
I've got about a half a logging trailer load of logs on the ground now that were taken down about a month ago. It's a mixed batch of evergreens and none are really what I would call saw logs. I'll call them practice logs for when we get the mill built. Which is supposed to happen this week but the dang weather is interfering in a big way. There are a couple storm downed red oaks on the ground also but they have been down about a year. They definitely qualify as saw logs if they are still any good.   
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
 Building a Band Mill  :)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2022, 06:15:48 PM »
The Red Oaks will definitely have Ambrosia Beetle holes, especially in the sapwood.  Other than that, the logs should be OK. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2022, 07:03:00 PM »
It will be firewood.
Some "logs" do not even qualify as firewood except maybe "bonfire".   :-X
True.  I threw some Red Oak on the burn pile the other day.  Too rotten to be fireplace fuel.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2022, 07:36:14 AM »
Josh, I love the dump truck.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff
xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

79 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 12:17:34 PM
by farmfromkansas