iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2022 Garden Seed and Starts - Better get on it!!

Started by SwampDonkey, January 15, 2022, 04:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

Finally getting some corn.About half laying down but still producing.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

SwampDonkey

Canned up 12 pints of string beans. Going to pickle some next, mustard pickle. ;D

That corn didn't turn out so bad. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

We got lazy and froze our beans this year. Got a dehydrator  full of principe drying tomatoes going today.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Broccoli is acting kinda odd this year and another person asked me about it. 
I cut the first head off and years past at least one will start to sucker out and start to grow. Not this year. I have nothing on one plant. I cut the head off another plant tonight, we'll see how that goes.
Tomatoes are just coming now. I planted 3-4 different types of cukes. We had 3-4 pickings so far,
Dill is not doing nothing this year. Most years that stuff booms. Did not really get many plants that just came up all over the garden either this year.
Peppers seem kinda thin walled this year. i was laid up and Brenda took care of them. I guess they would rather have me take care of them.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

thecfarm

Oh yea. Dry.
But I have an over head sprinkler that has seen some heavy use. But that's not the same. 
Looks like Wed we will have a steady rain.
Peppers are grown in a small wind tunnel.  So we control the watering. Them things never seem to change, except for this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

I agree fully cfarm , I've literally pumped millions of gallons this summer trying to keep plants going. It doesn't even come close to a rain that Mother Nature lays down. 

SwampDonkey

Use creek water, that's way better than well water on the garden. Like pouring on fertilizer and not ice cold. ;)

I only had to haul water one day this year, 100 gallons worth. Going to be wet here Wednesday afternoon into Friday.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Did some mustard bean pickles today, 4 - 16 oz jars. Will do 3 or 4 more later.

newoodguy78

I've been using pond and brook water mostly. What land doesn't have pumpable water has been getting municipal, that gets spendy FAST. 
A year like this you use what's available no matter what temperature it is. Desperate times call for desperate measures   :)

Wlmedley

This has been the wettest summer I can remember here.A pretty good day up here at starvation camp.I gave my neighbor a couple dozen ears of corn and a couple pumpkins and she gave me a 18 carton of fresh eggs.Probably dig my potatoes in a week or two.Finally cooling down a little.Fall is on the way 🙂

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

newoodguy78

Nice looking produce, good size ears of corn. 
Would've gladly sent some dry weather your way in exchange for a little rain. Prefer a dryer year for growing stuff but this year can go kick rocks for all I care. Been absolutely no rain to speak of for months. Trying to keep stuff growing well especially certain varieties of the sweet corn has been a challenge to say the least. Keeping the store stocked and market trucks full for the most part not exactly sure however. 

SwampDonkey

Did 3 more pints of dill pickles. I cracked open a jar of earlier ones.....mmm my goodness, like eating candy. :D :D The cucumbers have not produced any surplus this year, which is unusual, due to a cold wet June where they struggled to get going. No scarcity of water for sure up this way. Rain and showers for 3 days now.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Holy cow Jeff, ya gotta let me know where ya got the bandana seed. I would have never guessed it could be grown this far north.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

newoodguy78

SwampDonkey

Not half bad on the corn Jeff, you might get a ripe ear before frost. Chet's jealous ya know. ;D

You blanching and freezing your string beans?

Jeff

Im not blanching. Just freezing. My understanding of blanching is to maintain color over time, not so much taste. We do blanch our corn on the cob.

Made 5 quarts of apple sauce, probably 5 more today. So far I have had 15 zucchini off those two plants and many more babies on the way. I was getting blossom end rot until I added some of my powdered egg shells, and it went right away.

My flooded corn is really surprising me down there. I counted 30 ears on the stalks that made it so far, 

SwampDonkey

Yes, like you say for the color.

30 ears if they mature is a good family corn boil cookout. ;D

Yep, blossom end rot is a sign of low calcium. Happens to maters and peppers to. In the grow tent I have to use calcium nitrate.

Jeff

Tammy's pampered chef grinder blender turns my egg shells into smoke. Well, almost. It is so fine that when you open the bag, it smokes. It took no time for it to make a difference.

21incher

We always blanch beans before freezing. Considering the conditions you dealt with Jeff it looks like a nice haul. 
We haven't had rain in about  3 months  now. Just watched the weather and possibly  1 to 2 inches tonight and tomorrow.  Going out to do a rain dance later 🌧🌧☂️.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

newoodguy78

Let me know what time the rain dance starts. It won't be pretty but I'll dance the night away if it'll make it rain   :D

SwampDonkey

I think Monday is slated to be cloudy and then wet the rest of the week up here. Raining in far western Maine now, in the hills.

21incher

Quote from: newoodguy78 on August 21, 2022, 03:37:28 PM
Let me know what time the rain dance starts. It won't be pretty but I'll dance the night away if it'll make it rain   :D

It worked 🌧🌧🌧🌧🌩🌩🌩🌦🌦🌦⛈

newoodguy78

Well I'm happy for you.  How much did you get?
We barely got a sprinkle here, barely enough to make your boots wet enough to change shades after walking through the grass.
Heard they got some to the East and North of us. Been that way all season here every storm splits and misses us. 

Thank You Sponsors!