iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits?

Started by kelLOGg, April 09, 2022, 12:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I was bemoaning the presence of so many fire ant mounds on our property to a friend and she responded; "grits". They eat it and it, being dry, absorbs moisture from their bodies and kills them. She is from Atlanta and she says it works there.  Before we share ours with them I thought I would ask if anyone has experience with this.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

rusticretreater

Heres an article on it from Mother Earth News.  I saw another link that said it won't kill fire ants however.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-living/nature-and-environment/kill-ants-with-grits-zm0z15amzkin/
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

btulloh

Interesting. Couldn't hurt to try. 

Terro fire ant bait works well if the grits don't do the job. Wipes a whole colony in a couple days usually. 
HM126

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

I suspect you will find it only harms the northern fire ants while the southern fire ants just thrive and get fat on them. Northern fire ants, like so many other inhabitants of the glaciated climes, lack the specific enzymes to break down and enjoy the complex nutrients found in a grit and many other epicurean southern delights while the southern fire ant, like so many other things true of the deep south, have a much better balance of harmony in their diet, lifestyle and overall culture in general.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Even if it doesn't work it seems like it would be a good use for store pre-packaged stuff. Never was a big fan of that stuff.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

I could see the route this discussion would take. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Texas Ranger

Some folks have never had really good southern grits.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 09, 2022, 03:02:47 PM
     northern fire ants   
::)   :o   ???   ???    ???
Must be like a northern poison snake. Or alligator. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Several Fire Ant baits/poisons use grits as the base median.  Workers carry the laced grits into the mound and feed it to the Queen.  Since the workers have a very short lifespan, when she dies the mound dies. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

This topic reminded me of the old tale about feeding alka seltzers to sea gulls. Supposedly they would eat them and blow up from the bubbles in their stomachs but I just checked found sea gulls can fart so that doesn't work. Dang! I always figured that would be fun and interesting way to get rid of flying rats. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 13, 2022, 10:18:50 AM
    but I just checked found sea gulls can fart so that doesn't work. Dang! 
I hope you put the latex glove on before you performed the check. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!