iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pyrohy, varenyky, pyrogi...what do you call it?

Started by firefighter ontheside, January 29, 2022, 12:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

My sister and mom made some Pyrohy last week and gave me some.  We used to make hundreds of these at a time with my Ukrainian grandma.  We still make them today.  I like to eat them with sour cream and cottage cheese, though traditional is some sauteed onions and sour cream.  These have potato, cheese, onion and garlic in them, but they can be made with many different fillings.  My great aunt, Grandma's sister, always made them with sauerkraut and I didn't like those.  It's what for lunch.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Raider Bill

Sour cream and grilled onions in butter for me please!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

I wasn't a fan until I had homemade pyrogis from a traditional Ukrainian kitchen, crispy with sour cream and onions. I saw the light, they were really good! My previous experience were frozen prepackaged from the grocery store, doughy and tasteless. Once went to a traditional Ukrainian wedding, the mostly vegetarian feast was unbelievable. Those people love to eat and drink!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

I grew up eating these things.  The first time I had any not made by my family was in New York about 15 years ago at a Ukrainian restaurant.  They tasted just like grandma made.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

Spell it as you wish, I call them delicious!! I usually have them fried with onions and Kielbasa.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

Kielbasa is definitely a good choice to complement the pyrohy.  My grandma who could speak Ukrainian, but didn't often, of course pronounced them correctly.  Pyrohy pronounced correctly would be something like Parohay but with rolling the R sound it sounds something like a D.  What I heard as a kid was pedee, so that's what I grew up calling them.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

Nothing better than good kielbasa with mustard and sauerkraut!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

K-Guy

Even with a German background I'll pass on the sauerkraut but the mustard would be fine. I have onions in vinegar with a touch of sugar. The raw cool onion/vinegar with the hot kielbasa makes a great combo.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

mike_belben

My grandmother made pirogi, galumpki and kielbasa when i was a kid but not in the later years.  We did put a lot of late night hours before thanksgiving or Christmas watching johnny carson while frying what americans call bowties, fried dough pastry covered in powdered confectionary sugar.  She was half polish half russian and i think the polish name is what she called them by. was pronounced "hrusz chickee" but ive never heard anyone else say it.

She used to make turnip and carrots mashed together which i love.. But ive never heard anyone else do that either.  I should revive that one. 
Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

@mike_belben so many things from that general area of the world(Poland, Russia, Ukraine) are the same basic dish.  We didn't make as much of it, but we call it Holubtsi which is that same as galumpki.  Very simply its stuffed cabbage.  I didn't like it as a kid, but now I do and we make it occasionally.  I'll look in my Ukrainian food books and see if I see something that looks like hrusz chickee.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

The French have fooled a lot of people into thinking that only they know how to cook. Generally I find the eastern European dishes more to taste, even what they would call peasant food. 
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

@mike_belben I think I have a winner.  This was in my Ukrainian Christmas book.  It has lots of recipes in it.  The word looks right and the description of the pastry sounds right.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

oh my lord that is exactly exactly it!!! now you know where i snuck my first sip of brandy!  8)
Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: mike_belben on February 15, 2022, 03:12:19 PM
oh my lord that is exactly exactly it!!! now you know where i snuck my first sip of brandy!  8)
Lol and I know why you liked it.  It has brandy and rum in it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

My grandmother was born in boston to parents from poland/ukraine/russia area depending on what year map you look at i guess.. They died before i was born and she steadily lost her ability to speak polish with time and lack of use.

Anyways nan always made turnip and carrots boiled and mashed together as a side for dinner events,  and i guess i grew up thinking that was normal yet have never heard another person say those words in my life.  Made it last night, with butter, cheddar and brussel sprouts tossed in. Made me think of childhood.  Almost finished

Been making and eating a ton of kraut.  No idea why i didnt start that habit sooner.

Praise The Lord

newoodguy78

mike_belben

first time i tried it i was like blehk.  now im drinking warm kraut juice.  i crave it now. wierd.
Praise The Lord

newoodguy78

mike_belben

well it is tax season so uncle sam mighta got one by the goalie if ya know what i mean.
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Some people get grossed out from drinking Kombucha with that bottom sediment in the bottle. I say, 'drink your medicine like a good boy', like grandma would say. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firefighter ontheside

My dad grew up speaking English and Ukrainian, since his grandparents who lived with them spoke little English.  When they were gone, the need to speak Ukrainian was gone.  I remember my grandma speaking Ukrainian on the phone, but she rarely used it with me.  The only thing I remember is her yelling at me to "sit down" in Ukrainian which I remember as something like "sidie".  Mom sent me this picture of their house today.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!