iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pick your surgeon accordingly!

Started by Walnut Beast, April 24, 2022, 05:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

A recent German study found that Surgeons that played and worked to AC/DC are faster and more accurate!!!!!

https://nypost.com/2022/04/12/study-finds-listening-to-ac-dc-makes-surgeons-faster-and-more-accurate/

realzed

They do like to work with the volume cranked up from my own experience.
During my first TKR - half way through, I woke up and was trying to figure out in a haze what all of the hammering and noise was all about.
I remember trying to lift my head and prop myself up on my elbows to peer over the curtain the was stretched over my abdominal area (maybe to catch the shrapnel) to see what the Hell was going on, and all I heard was "what are you doing" then someone grabbed my arm and pushed me back down and gave me a shot of something and that's the last I recall of my OR adventure.
A couple of weeks later during my first post op. appointment, I told the  surgeon about waking up in the middle of everything and he just  looked at me and laughed when I mentioned all of the hammering and noise and said "well guess the secrets out now that you know we're just like a bunch of carpenters working on your kitchen cabinets with hammers and drills knocking in those bits and pieces.. Did you like my choice of music - I do like it loud".. :o
I can't honestly say I recall his music choice actually - but I can vouch for a high volume level!

Walnut Beast

Old saw fixer

I drifted to the surface during my hip replacement and felt vibration in my body, evidently when the surgeon was placing the part in my hipbone.  No pain, I had a spinal block, but a definite pounding sensation.  I went back under then 'til I woke up in recovery.  My surgeon used the anterior approach procedure.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

PoginyHill

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

kantuckid

In 1990, I watched my scope job on a color TV (my name for the device :D) during a multi event of hemorrhoids surgery and the scope job same day.
But I knew zero during both my anterior hip jobs.  
What caught my eye here was the "pick your surgeon" notion. I had a septic gall bladder removed in 2016 and having driven to the ER, I was given the surgeon, not my pick! They told me it had to come out fast as it was septic. They prepped me for the surgery, the surgeon walks in wearing a suit and asks me and my Wife what we think about waiting until next a.m.. I said I wasn't a doc and thought it was best to get it out. He had dinner plans, so I learned and surgery waited while they bombarded me with antibiotics. 
FWIW, I would never pick that surgeon ever ::)...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

realzed

Having a choice of surgeon here means - if you want and or need surgery - you take whatever surgeon is offered by the hospital - and in my present case, wait 3 months for him to 'get around' to you.. or you go it alone, get a referral from you family MD and wait (possibly up to 2 - 3 years) on your choice of surgeon's 'waiting list' to be seen and tended to.
People here in Canada brag about our Universal Health Care System - but those that often do, are ones who can either circumvent the system and get appointments faster by jumping the queue, often paying for it semi-privately, or those who haven't had to endure waiting for years to get something fairly badly needed done while suffering through agony of waiting and thus not knowing what they are missing!
The only things here that are truthful.. is the waiting, and the freeness of it (but in reality our taxes are high because of it) - and other than that it pretty much sucks!
You can sit often in any Emergency Room locally here for 8 - 12 hours before being seen or treated often (my last visit with severe chest pains entailed a 12 hour wait, 3 months ago and I'm still waiting for a procedure to hopefully correct the situation. I took my son in to have 5 stitches done on his forehead from a flying puck at a hockey game, and that too took almost 8 hours in the ER to get accomplished - free -Yes, but I would have paid something to get it done ASAP considering all..
I do know a couple of Orthopedic Surgeons I have chosen to have surgeries in the past done by, and they both presently have 2-3 year waiting lists to have hips, knees, shoulders, and even other less invasive ortho procedures done..
If you have the means ($$'s) or connections - YES you can be selective about picking your surgeon, if not, you'd better be aware of the details and downsides, before you choose that selective route though!

moosehunter

My last surgery I remember being wheeled in to the surgery room. The music was pretty loud. The surgeon said you'll be done in no time, and cranked up the music louder! That's the last I remember 🤣 I'm thinking it was southern rock but don't remember what.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Mooseherder

The last time I had surgery I told them they could take the rest of the day off after me.  It got a chuckle and I went night night. :D

JJ

When I last got my tailpipe inspected, I remember AC/DC Black in Black playing loud.  Was enjoying it but fall asleep 😴 

doctorb

Had rock music playing during surgery for my whole career. The OR personnel, including nurses and anesthesia, used to vie for the right to choose from day to day.  Two reality checks for those who are picturing a block party atmosphere in the OR....
1.  Loud and driving are fine, but surgery requires communication between the surgeon and the scrub nurse/tech, and communication between the scrub table and the circulator nurse.  If the music is so loud that you have to shout your conversation (like in a bar), it's too loud.  The communication issues become further exaggerated by those surgeries in which the surgeons are wearing "space suits" (hoods), as in total joint surgeries.
2.  When things aren't going well, the pace of the surgery slows, and predictably, the music is turned down.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

kantuckid

Quote from: realzed on April 27, 2022, 10:37:29 AM
Having a choice of surgeon here means - if you want and or need surgery - you take whatever surgeon is offered by the hospital - and in my present case, wait 3 months for him to 'get around' to you.. or you go it alone, get a referral from you family MD and wait (possibly up to 2 - 3 years) on your choice of surgeon's 'waiting list' to be seen and tended to.
People here in Canada brag about our Universal Health Care System - but those that often do, are ones who can either circumvent the system and get appointments faster by jumping the queue, often paying for it semi-privately, or those who haven't had to endure waiting for years to get something fairly badly needed done while suffering through agony of waiting and thus not knowing what they are missing!
The only things here that are truthful.. is the waiting, and the freeness of it (but in reality our taxes are high because of it) - and other than that it pretty much sucks!
You can sit often in any Emergency Room locally here for 8 - 12 hours before being seen or treated often (my last visit with severe chest pains entailed a 12 hour wait, 3 months ago and I'm still waiting for a procedure to hopefully correct the situation. I took my son in to have 5 stitches done on his forehead from a flying puck at a hockey game, and that too took almost 8 hours in the ER to get accomplished - free -Yes, but I would have paid something to get it done ASAP considering all..
I do know a couple of Orthopedic Surgeons I have chosen to have surgeries in the past done by, and they both presently have 2-3 year waiting lists to have hips, knees, shoulders, and even other less invasive ortho procedures done..
If you have the means ($$'s) or connections - YES you can be selective about picking your surgeon, if not, you'd better be aware of the details and downsides, before you choose that selective route though!
That was my USA ER experience as well, both when I had a heart attack and a gall bladder ER visit. Heart I was flown in-they picked the heart doc, gall bladder I drove myself-they picked the (so-called) surgeon.
Covid made serious delays a reality in many countries for procedures, even more simple stuff like my knee shot or my need for a tooth removal or the replacement for the one I finally got removed via an oral surgeon still working during covid. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!