iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer unmarked blades

Started by mtmeatpole, May 17, 2022, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtmeatpole

I got a box of blades from my woodmizer dealer last week and cracked it open today. For some reason I decided to look at the serial number on it and there wasn't one so looked at the next blade and nothing. Looked at the box and receipt both say woodmizer double hards. I looked at some of my older blades and all of them are marked. Have any of you gotten any blades that were not marked? I'm kinda confused.

moosehunter

I've never noticed a mark other than the weld. Have I been missing something?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dan_Shade

There's normally an etch on the band.

My suggestion is to give them a call, we're living in crazy times... 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

I have never seen nor heard of a Wood-Mizer blade without the trademark and s/n etching.  Maybe an oversight omitting that step.  I would call the dealer and verify that the blades were Wood-Mizer manufactured.

moosehunter; with the teeth up, look about a foot to the right of the weld. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

The numbers arent always easy to see, you have to look at them in the right light and know what you're looking for to see them sometimes.  Once you learn it it's easier.  With the teeth up, the number is usually to the right of the weld within a few inches. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

I buy genuine Wood Mixer bands that are welded up by a third party. Those don't have a serial number on them. Perhaps WM is contracting out some of their band work?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

I used to buy WM bands for my TK.  They didn't have the etched number and I always figured it was because they were not a standard size for WM.  No telling were they were welded.  Never was a problem for me.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Quote from: Southside on May 18, 2022, 05:39:58 PMPerhaps WM is contracting out some of their band work?
This is what I am thinking.  I looked at 6 blades today and none of them had "birthmarks", so my thinking is that during this blade crunch (shortage) Wood-Mizer is outsourcing to make more blades available. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mtmeatpole

Was gonna call WM today at lunch time but once I got a couple of blades into the pack they were marked so I'm gonna just say they are probably dealing with $15 per hour minimum wage employees that are worth $10 and crazy busy to boot. Thanks for all your replys

caveman

We recently tried a box of WM, .055 7/39 Silver Tips.  I put the fourth one on the mill today.  So far, they saw flat and fast.  We have only cut pine and a bit of oak with them.  They are supplied by Joe Maine.  I did not look for marks identifying them.  I'll have to buy my good friend Earl another profile sharpening wheel to get them ready to saw after dulling them, but that is much better than us learning how to sharpen bands and troubleshoot sharpeners.  

Right now, for what we have been sawing, the 7° Kascos and the 7° WM turbos (.055, 1.5") have been providing good results.  The 7/39, 1.5", .o55's have just been providing them faster.
Caveman

Southside

Joe does quality work.  I have four boxes of his waiting to be un death coiled. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

.055" blades are a little nasty to handle😬 Don't go trying to coil them like normal and hurt your wrists.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Yea, and they are 1.75" to add to the fun. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

GAB

Went to the logging show in Essex Jct. Vt on May 6th.
W-M was selling blades that were manufactured in Poland.
Is it possible that those blades are not marked as a cost reduction step?
Because of the Ukrainian skirmish Poland's blade market was reduced, and asked Indy if they could use some.
Supposedly they are using the same raw material and manufacturing equipment as in Indiana.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

Southside, that's getting to where you just need three people to carry the blade off like the big mills. We'll keep messing around, pushing production and one day we'll wake up and realize we're running 6" wide bands. Might bring on another thin kerf revolution 😁
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I just unboxed and coiled 15 new Wood-Mizer T7 blades and none of them had the traditional "birthmank".

mtmeatpole

Spoke with resharp yesterday and he mentioned blades coming out of Poland so that's probably what is going on. Something else I noticed is the blades seem more flexible and flimsy. Not sure if it's In my head or if they use a more flexible steel to make their blades. Probably in my head though lol

Magicman

I didn't consciously notice any difference in stiffness as I removed the blades from the flat "death box" and into cubes.  ;D

Bruno of NH

I had messaged Darryl Floyd about it and he didn't know about it.
He did tell me they just got a new Lazer ingraver to mark bands with.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Chuck White

mtmeatpole, If your blades seem to be more flimsy than normal, they may very well be thinner, like .042 instead of .045!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!