Food in the field 2022

Started by newoodguy78, April 24, 2022, 09:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newoodguy78

Mooseherder

Yes, just east of Lake Okeechobee. 

thecfarm

Looks good!!!
I saw some corn covered up when we were driving around on Thursday.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The farmers here have started working ground and I see planters going, grains and such. Ground is cold still, but a lot of fields are bone dry already. Frost this morning, 28F. 70's possible next week.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dangerous_Dan

I was told by the GF "no gardening this year"
We were growing garlic in this plot since the deer don't bother it and it low maintenance.
But with the looming food shortage we decided to fence in this area to grow more garden type veggies.
Milled the posts on the woodmizer from some tree service white oak logs.
Got four 5x5's from each log.
Post hole digger works good but some big boulders underground pushed it out of line on a few of the holes. 
Just said screw it and put the posts in anyway, it's going to be electrified wire so if it's off a little it will not matter. 
Added 40 yards or so of screened topsoil and planted a couple hundred onions, squash and some potatoes.
We will be adding corn and pumpkins in the coming days.
Tomorrow we put the insulators on the posts and string the wire.
Gotta figure out a gate.

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I run 2 strands low to keep the turkeys out.
Does not have to be hot, just low enough so they can't step over it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

SwampDonkey

Nice job on the posts. Mine is always a rustic jobbie here. I've got some spruce posts from cutting firewood/thinning, the tops. I knock in with a maul, not all that deep, but good enough to support a 2x2" square fence to keep the ground hogs and turkeys out.  I don't want the fence permanent. I do have a post hole digger.

I see field corn here is up 2", planted in that heat last week. Lots of water now, more tomorrow. 3/4" so far.

Happy gardening.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

newoodguy78

Vine crops went in last week. Cukes, squash,melons they're enjoying the rain we got followed by the heat. Looking good so far. 

kantuckid

Here in KY, tobacco is pre-sold under contracts to large companies. This is a result of the tobacco base buy-outs that ended the support program. In todays world the big guys such as horse farms that once had huge tobacco bases are still the ones who cash in on the very crop that was killed dead in my area where many depended on it. My entire area grew burley, now maybe a handful in our entire county.
The big growers use contract labor that gets paid well over $20 hourly to cut and house the crop. In other areas, where terrain dictates smaller fields, the tobacco barns are torn down, sold for barn wood or left to fall down.
I suspect there are other contract plants grown? but I cannot think of another one. ;D
My aunt's family of Italian immigrants grew cukes for market using horses only. They lived near Carbondale, KS in Osage County-their farm was a favorite visit of my childhood. Between the animals and the homebaked bread, all was very neat there, except they spoke very little English.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

newoodguy78

One week almost to the hour, 3rd planting of sweet corn out of the ground about an 1 1/2".  Looking like a picket fence stand, the planter is doing a nice job. 
Got some much needed rain in the last 24hrs. Was some glad to get it. Saves a ton of money and effort not having to irrigate.

Mooseherder

We got so much rain it took out Route 1 with a wash out a mile north of us yesterday.  This is our lil stream.  I've never seen it so high and fast.  There was 2 Beaver dams between us and the road washout.  The garden is a mess. :(
Critter Log Flash Flood - YouTube

A day later and they're not working on it yet.
They got right on it. - YouTube

newoodguy78

That's awful, the power of a rainstorm is phenomenal. We got lucky it came in as a gentle rain and got progressively heavier an ideal rain really. Was concerned we'd get an old gully washer and have an absolute mess as dry as it was.

thecfarm

mooseherder, I saw something on the news about that.

kantuckid

The turkey comment caught my eye. We see turkeys around us all the time but never in our gardens any issues.  We have critter problems out the kazoo but in many years of gardens weve never had one eat something we cared about. They move through the woods here like a rototiller army but that's where they operate. Saw one yesterday late afternoon fly across the front of the house from high up in a tree. Across the road from the house they eat bugs in a meadow. 
 As for garden progression here we have blooms on maters now and two corn plantings out.
 I was trying a "Tiger's Eye bean" this year and the crows ate every seed I planted! In the rows next to that one row they ate zero beans and most came up. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

btulloh

NWG, it's about time for an update on your crops. Really curious to see how your changes are working out.

Lately I seem to be driving somewhere around 3pm and listening to the regular 3-4 show on Rural Radio (SiriusXM) called AgPhD. Good stuff and worth a listen.  A lot of good talk about corn nutrients lately and mid-season testing. May not be the most convenient time, but I think you can stream it any time off their website AgPhD.com. Very good info. 
HM126

newoodguy78

You're correct, I've been delinquent due to the chaos of the season. Got to go around today and check on everything will get some pictures and report back. 
I will say this got a surprise visit from the guy helping me with soil health "well I wish all my stuff looked this good and overall if was to give you a grade it would be a very strong A" 
Considering he's a farmer himself and very knowledgeable took that as a good compliment 

Thank You Sponsors!