iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The antlers are falling off

Started by thecfarm, December 29, 2022, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Found my first shed of the year.
Right where I put the grain down.
I have a rock about 3 feet high that is flat one side. I put some grain on that side. ;)
I have a couple more there too.Just not as high or flat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I killed a nice antlerless deer several years back on 28 December that turned out to be a buck who had already shed. The last 3-4 days of December are a special antlerless season here in WV.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Have not found any bull moose sheds yet. You rarely find one.

Lots of 'yote tracks around this one. :D

I sometimes find one in the summer when flagging off work strips and hang it on a tree for the cutters to find. :D The worst is finding a dead rotten calf in the spring. Stink!! The bears will usually find them. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

WOW!! Those are about 5 times bigger than ones I find.
I have never got one much bigger than a foot and that would be on the high side. 8 points would be a big one in my back yard.
The one I found only had 3 points. 
I have been looking for more, but no more to be found.
Seems like I find one than I find more. 
But not this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Still hanging on in southern WI. Picked up this trail cam card today, and this month has shown at least 20 different bucks for the month 12/1 - 12/31

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Be like the lottery to even find one in these parts, hardly any deer let alone more than a couple bucks wondering out there locally. I've never seen any deer sheds around my local area in 50 years. Out in deer country 40+ years ago, I would find sheds on deer trails around the lakes and dead waters when fishing. Was lots and lots of deer out there. Chances were far better. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I've been feeding deer for 20 years here.
I only started to find shed in the past 5 years.  ???
Not a one for 15 years. And yes, I had bucks coming to the feed.
Found 6-7 one year and that year grandson found a couple more.
Kinda odd most are found within a couple hundred feet of the feed. I walk the trails and may only found one. 
Grandson and a friend come up and they may find 2-3 on the trails.
But won't find a moose shed on my land.
I did see one moose down by the bog this summer. I only saw it for about a minute and then it was gone. 
Don't even see any tracks. 

SwampDonkey

Most deer antlers I would find had been chewed on by rodents or porcupines. Moose ones, sometimes are.

Southside

Put new tires on your tractor Ray - you will find sheds that way. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

A shed finder.  :(
I have found one in the summertime. This was about 40 feet from where I feed the deer. But not with a new tire.
It was chewed just a little on one point.

newoodguy78

I've spent quite a bit of time in the woods but have only found a moose shed. They're still holding on around here as I've seen a couple bucks lately.

Saw a video the other day of a decent buck loosing one. He put his head up from feeding and gave it a little shake from side to side. That was all it took the left one came off and rattled into the right side antler. His response made me laugh,was a cross between getting scared and shocked by electricity mixed with embarrassment all at once. He ducked down ran a little bit then looked around as if to see who saw it happen.  :D
Little does he know

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

Just came in from feeding the deer, found a shed right where I feed them.
Got some snow coming in tomorrow night. That will cover up any that are on the ground. Dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home.
Hard to find them things with just a head lamp.

Southside

Good score!! Like I said drive around - and use your headlamp - you will find those sheds!!!  :D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Went for a stroll and found a pair

Notice the other side towards the back of picture

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

That's nice. 
We have had snow off and on here. Them things are buried now. I have found one in a deer trail. I had to get a hammer to get it out.

SwampDonkey

Our deer migrate out of the area for winter. No tracks let alone deer antlers. :D

thecfarm

Must be no food for them?
The deer have been here for years.
I would snowshoe in sometimes to check on the deer. They go to the same places 40 years as they do now.

SwampDonkey

Never was many in my area, even 50 years ago. Moose country mostly. I see about 4-6 deer in a year, none in winter once the snow piles up. They migrate south of here, maybe 20 miles in the Hartland area. There are areas that had a lot more deer than here, the Tobique river watershed was full of deer. No deer yards in my area at all. Last deer yard in my vicinity was about 40 years ago until dogs found it in the cedar woods at the end of the farm next to Maine border. Used to be a lot of dogs run loose that chased deer. Wasn't coyotes, DNR would shoot deer chasers on sight.

JD Guy

Walked a small area of our acreage yesterday looking for sheds and with the deer trails and large numbers of tree rubs we should have found at least one. Maybe still a little early but we are seeing no antlered deer, just 8-15 or more antler-less grazing in the pastures. 

Walnut Beast

I know what you mean! When you see tons of deer around and don't find any sheds! Keep your eye out 👍

JD Guy

We have lots of squirrels, aka tree rats and if they find them first the antlers are seriously compromised  :)

Thank You Sponsors!