iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chisel sharpening

Started by Dan_Shade, February 04, 2023, 04:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I wanted to add this to a post @Dave Shepard shared a few years back, as that's where I got the idea for this jig, but I could not find find that post. 

It works like a charm, it's fast and consistent.  

And a quick video:
Timberframe Chisel Sharpening - YouTube

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ShimodaLife

Good video and idea. Thanks for sharing. I had a similar idea, inspired by someone on YT, and built my own tool. See video below (start at 16:00 point to avoid boring narrative). I recall I came under fire for this idea, someone calling it "sacrilege" or something cause I wasn't respectful enough of the chisel... ::)

Back To Square One! No Architect, New Tool (S3E38) - YouTube

JT
Completed my Timber Frame Tiny House as practice for the soon-to-be-started TF Real House. Tracking all on my Shimoda Life Youtube channel.

Dan_Shade

Some people like to gripe, they are probably grumpy because their chisels are dull. 

I was thinking today how to build a jig like this for my bench chisels. 

I was impressed with how well it worked. 

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Walnut Beast

Great ideas! Some kind of screwing device would be nice for different profiles if that can be implemented with a little thinking would be nice. I was just looking at a set of diamond flat stones for axes and what you were doing. If you look at Wicked Edge knife sharpeners are the best out there. They use a similar profile system. Thanks for the ideas guys!!  

https://wickededgeusa.com/

Dan_Shade

Probably easier to change the stone location than to add screws if you want different profiles.  Moving the stone closer to the upright increases the angle, moving it away decreases the angle. 

Brad_bb

Once you set your angle initially, it's not hard to sharpen it from then on with just your hands and fingers pressing the angle to the stone or sandpaper and working back and forth with the chisel.  Once your desired angle is established, it's easy to maintain in subsequent hand sharpenings without a jig.  Even if your angle changed a little over time(so you're close to 25-30), it will still cut well.  And isn't that's all that's really important?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

The first thing I do is look at and flatten the back if it is not smooth in the edge area. You'll never get sharp if it is pitted or scarred. I sharpen on a bench grinder with a white friable wheel and light pressure, keep it cool. This creates a hollow grind. Then when honing by hand it is easier to rest on the tip and heel of the grind and maintain a flat angle. It is also faster because there is less to be removed. As the flat closes from both sides after repeated honing I go back to the bench wheel. On the other side I keep a muslin wheel charged with emery or rouge to finish.  Much of the convex most people create by hand is wanting to get to an edge faster than the stock is being removed. They tip up and go steeper, and convex. That fat back is strong but has to be pounded through the work harder.

Thank You Sponsors!