iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT-40 alternator belt question

Started by Dan_Shade, September 03, 2023, 09:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Is the alternator belt supposed to be on the first pulley groove nearest the engine?  

Do you have to remove the drive belt to replace the alternator belt? 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

barbender

I've been able to snake the alternator belt under my drive belt iirc, but my alternator uses one of the flat multi-v belts. It looks like a serpentine belt but it's approximately the same length as yours.
Too many irons in the fire

Crossroads

With the clutch disengaged, you should be able to slip the drive belt off, so you can install the A-33 alternator belt. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Engage the clutch, loosen or let the brake drop down, disengage the clutch, and you will have plenty of room. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

I'm always looking for the shortcut....

I didn't want to have to adjust the brake.

But it was time to adjust the belt tension anyway, so I loosened it up.

My mill eats way too many alternator belts.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dan_Shade

Nothing seems bent or out of alignment. 

I'm not sure how to check it or to what tolerance. 

ladylake

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 08, 2023, 09:57:44 AM
I'm always looking for the shortcut....

I didn't want to have to adjust the brake.

But it was time to adjust the belt tension anyway, so I loosened it up.

My mill eats way too many alternator belts.

Are your pulleys wore out  .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dan_Shade

What are the indicators of a worn out pulley? 

The mill has about 1200 hours on it. 

ladylake

They shouldn't be wore out yet but could be if they were slipping a lot .  They should grip the side of the belt good and not bottom out in the pulley..  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

richhiway

Check the amps it is putting out. If you have a bad battery or something is pulling too big a load it will wear out the belt. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Gary Davis

mine eats belts also I pull the drive belt of to replace it

Chuck White

It seems as though, if the alternator belt gets torn up so often that the alternator pulley is not in complete alignment with the drive pulley! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I run years without replacing nor have an alternator belt failure.  I carry a spare but in 20+ years sawing, I have only had one failure while sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

You've ran the mill longer than I did Lynn!

While I had my mill, I cut just about 875,000 bf of lumber, and in that time, I replaced the alternator belt once!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

TimW

If you are eating alternator belts, the drive belt pulleys (sheaves) are not correctly aligned..  The alternator belt pulley mandates where all the other pulleys go.  So you have to align it, then align the pulleys (& split sleeve bushings) for drive belt.  I had to reach a compromise between the upper and lower drive belt pulleys not quite aligned.  About 1/16th out. I went all thru that when I had to change the stub shaft on back of my Yanmar.  Contact Dennis at WN Tech Support.   Dennis told me how to use a string to check alignment.   He helped me through all the R&R, torques, and Alignment issues.  Photo show pink string as a straight edge to align.

hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Thank You Sponsors!