iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beech Scale

Started by Corley5, November 27, 2005, 09:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Anybody know how long beech scale can survive after the tree is cut? or how long would the wood need to season before it can be transported without the risk of spreading the scale?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Well, you probably have to understand both the life cycle of the scale insect and the fungus causing the infection. It is a soft bodied scale Cryptococcus fagisuga and Nectria coccinea var. faginata is the fungus most commonly associated with the disease. There is also one other known Nectaria species assocaited with the disease. It appears to me that as long as the tree is alive with sap flow the insect will remain attached and feeding. I think that is a reasonable assumption, but I have no research to comfirm it.

The following excerpt is taken from Forestry Canada Publication on their website.

Life Cycle

The insect overwinters as a partly grown nymph on the bark beneath a covering of white wool-like wax. When mature, about mid-summer, it is almost spherical, pale yellow, and about the width of a pinhead. Eggs are laid and from these the small crawlers emerge, settle down, and insert their feeding tubes into the bark. They usually remain in the same place, become covered with wool, and complete their development the next spring.

The fungus appears on the bar as clusters of tiny, red lemon-shaped fruiting bodies also about the size of a pin head. These fruiting bodies produce large numbers of
spores, which are liberated and probably are spread mostly by the wind. Both the insect and fungus attack the trunk, branches, and exposed roots, the fungus being found in close association with the insect.

We still lack a good understanding of the environmental factors (such as drought) that predispose trees to its attack and that limit or encourage its development.

There is ongoing research on the disease as they try to propogate disease resistant trees. Here is a paper.

Veg Resistance Propogation of Beech
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bugboy

I wouln't worry as much as about the scale as the fungus.  I suspect the fungus would continue to live for some time.  its probably not a good idea to transport infected wood into areas that don't have the scale-fungus complex.

You can also check with your local extension agent or local forester about any precautions you might need to take.

cheers,

Corley5

I new it was inevitable and yesterday while marking trees for a TSI in the woodlot next to my house I found it  :( :'( :( :'(  I've been marking evenings for a few days and haven't been paying attention to the beeches.  I was leaving them for mast and den trees and figured the scale would be here in a few years anyway and I'd cut them then.  Well it's here now.  The 1st tree I found and judging by the level of infection compared to other trees I'd say it was the tree where it all started is in decline and shows signs of the nectria.  I first thought/hoped maybe I could cut and burn it along with the surrounding saps and a couple larger trees that are showing only a few scale and contain the infection but with further investigation it's spread through much of the woodlot  :'( :'(  So I'm gonna harvest the good ones while they're still sound and leave some of the cavity trees for the wildlife.  Pretty well ruined my day when I found it  ::) :'( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Black_Bear

Corley5:

Sounds as though you are on the leading edge of the killing front. I know diseases are undesirable and  harmful to our forests, but I am totally fascinated by phenomena like this. I guess it comes from being in the woods all your life and watching the change.

Here is a link to an MSU extension paper. It looks as though they want you to report local breakouts of the disease:

http://michigansaf.org/ForestInfo/Health/BBdisease.htm

I couldn't open SD's link??

Except to reiterate what SD wrote I can't answer your questions. Here is another paper from 2004 that may answer some questions. I noticed in the table of contents that some sections are specific to Michigan:

http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/technical_reports/pdfs/2005/ne_gtr331.pdf

Whoops, just noticed that you originated this post in 2005. Hope I haven't regurgitated what you already knew, although I'm sure I have.

SwampDonkey

Judy Loo has been studying it, I'll try and fetch a link to her article. I updated the link above.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Beech Scale, Beech Bark Disease Killing Trees across Northwest Michigan; Some Show Resistance (MI)
The Traverse City Record-Eagle, Apr. 20, 2022
Snow-covered trees are the stuff of winter wonderland lore, but a white waxy residue on beech tree bark is the sign of what's becoming a tragic story. Another invasive pest, the beech scale insect, is now widespread across northwest Michigan, said David Schillinger, a certified arborist and owner of Schillinger Forestry. Getting rid of the tiny bugs is sometimes possible but tricky and, often, costly.
The E-Forester
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Yep, it's been eating at my yard tree now for a few years. Following several dry summers it has killed the terminal leader. :-\

It's around the size of understory trees that have it, and are too small to bother logging. Makes firewood sticks as long as they are solid. It's all across this region, so firewood transport within the province isn't going to affect what is already here. I've seen whole stands near by totally wiped out and pretty much dead from it.

Thank You Sponsors!