iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Misaligned bed sections

Started by Qweaver, January 03, 2006, 07:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I bought my WM LT15 used and it came with two bed extensions.  To my surprize, one of those bed sections is 1/8" more narrow than the others.   The saw is four years old and had been extensively used by the previous owner and I have been using it all summer.  It just makes a little bump as it crosses this section and I've just lived with it.  I now have my portable welder onsite and I'll cut the last two cross braces, jack it out and reweld.  The narrow section is also missing the alignment pins on one side which I will replace after I get it resized.
I'm just a little surprized that a factory built bed section that is surely built on a fixture is 1/8" out.   I actually could just build up the misaligned area enough to grind back to a smooth transition but I need the alignment pins to stop the section from separating vertically anyway and while I have it apart I'll do it right.  Has anyone else had this problem??
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Coon

I have not had the problem but............  If I were you (if you haven't cut welded already) get a hold of WM and see what they say.  Maybe they will even replace it for free if found that it was a factory defect.  But if is not that big of a deal to you then... go ahead and get the job done by ones self.  Sounds like you have the problems a figured out. :)
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Warren

QW,

I'm surprised at the variation.  I bought a 4th bed section to go on my LT15 last summer.  The new bed section was obviously a much newer style versus the older sections, but still, everything bolted together perfectly.  No gaps/mismatches in the box tubing, guide rail or alignment pins.  I'm with Coon, I'd call WM first. if only to check on tips, tricks, or traps.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

sparks

I have a couple questions. My concern is that if the frame was off a 1/8 of an inch they would have never mated up properly. What part of the frame is off the 1/8? Do you have any pictures to show what you mean.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Qweaver

I called WM and they were surprised but had no real suggestions except to switch sections to try for a better alignment.  I guess I'll just cut and reweld.  Here's what it looks like.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

bull

The missing alignment pin is most likely the problem. swap ends !!
I had minor alignment problems when I first got my LT15.... Check the holes where the pins go in where the sections join........ Crude in the hole etc.....  clean out silicon lube and reposition make sure to tighten bolts evenly and do'nt over tigten one side.... one or both of the pins may be bent slightly....  Tweek it......level it , takes a few trys... keep the torches away for now!!

Tom

Not that it makes any difference, but it looks like it is out of alignment in the direction that a log would be loaded.  Perhaps missing pins or unsure footing allowed a big log to push it out of alignment at one time.   I agree to use a little finesse' in putting it back before you get out the torch.

Wood Mizer used to require that extensions be purchased with the saw so that they would be fit in the factory.  This might be the result of someone buying an "add-on" too.

It doesn't look too bad.  If it is out of alignment horizontally, it wouldn't affect lumber anyway.  I know it can be felt and aligning it will sure make you feel better.  It's the up/down alignment that would be worrying me a bunch.  I had to have the rails on my mill welded and ended up with a hump.  It's not where I do a lot of sawing but it sure is agravating to know that it is there.  Mine is on the front of the mill were I ride over it before almost every board.   If it were at the end of the mill "out of sight, out of mind".  :D

Qweaver

The misalignment is not due to bending of the section, that would be obvious.  This had to occur during fabrication or I just have two sections that are each out 1/16 opposite ways. ::)  1/8" isn't much and it must have just got by inspection.  I'm pretty sure the previous owner added this section after the saw was purchased and he just lived with it for four years.  I could give him a call but I've got to fix it anyway so........ 
The fix is actually fairly easy; no torch required.  I just did not want to stop sawing this summer and I didn't have my welding gear in WV anyway...now I do...but I'm in Texas getting ready to do jury duty for a week and then back to WV.
I mainly just wanted to know if anyone else had the same problem.  Thanks for the input.
Quinton

Thank You Sponsors!