iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mice tried to burn my house down

Started by sprucebunny, March 18, 2005, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Yep just some water in a bucket works.
I used to have a couple of big coffee cans of used oil sitting in the barn, no lid. Didn't have anything handy when changing the oil, so I used the cans and forgot about them.
Was moving stuff around at one point and found a can. There was a lump in the middle. Odd, started fishing around and pulled out 5 or 6 bodies. The bottom two were mostly bones and the rest in various stages of decay, but until you uncovered them, they didn't smell. Those cans had not been moved for a year or two. After that I'd check the can every couple of months and clean out a few bodies. Ended up getting several chipmunks as well doing that.

DoubleD

Hi Sprucebunny How finished the war with mouse? I hope well.

For asy--> I don't know how you say over there, but here in Italy we say "you worth your weigh in gold" :D :D :D :D
Wannabe a sawmiller

sprucebunny

Hi, DoubleD

A new mouse shows up sometimes . I have had to rip the drawers out of the kitchen and chase them out once or twice but mostly they have been trying to colonize my trucks this year. You can tell because when you turn the defroster on, chunks of fluffy stuff flies out :D and when you go around a cornor, the acorns they have stuffed in the heater roll around in there ::) I'm going to have to take a hole-saw to the heater in one truck because there is no heat on the passanger side and too much work to remove the dashboard to remove the heater ::)

:D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

flip

Try to find stuff called Warfare.  Slow painful death from da inside out.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

beenthere

I've heard of Warfarin, which is a blood thinner. Keeps blood from clotting, and thus results in bleeding that won't stop. I am not under the impression that 'bleeding' is a painful death, but the contrary. Seems the victim when losing enough blood would just pass out, like in 'faint' and then die. 
Maybe Warfare is different kind of 'stuff' than Warfarin (WARF which stands for Wisconsin Alumni Reserach Foundation invented this 'treatment' to do in mice and rats. A form of it is used by heart disease patients and referred to as 'rat poison' by doctors and patients. Just a blood thinner, I understand.

I use it a lot, and keep some in the garage, in my wood pile, and both sheds. I make sure to put in a small packet in the pallet of wood about a week or 10 days before bringing it in the garage, and so far have found only a few mice, all dead.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Be careful with it around kids and pets.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bernie

Will this water bucket, wire and peanut butter can trap work on Rats?
:P

Don_Papenburg

Yes but the bucket needs to be deeper as rats can jump higher than meeces
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Don P

We were gone on a job and when we got home I started turning breakers and lights on. I noticed mouse droppings and started looking around. The little varmints had gnawed the sheathing off the wires coming up from the crawlspace to make room to slip in. Bare wires coming through wood walls, needless to say we slept in the dark. The next morning I noticed the crawlspace door was open. I asked around and the only person up to the house while we were gone was the county assesors. Of course they denied it and I rewired the downstairs.
Last week we got the little doorknob tag that says they had been by to reassess the place. They really didn't need to leave the card, the crawlspace door was open again  ::).

SwampDonkey

Some how a mouse got into dad's house. They think the door was left open in the basement long enough for him to get in. Well, they had a sac of pumpkin seeds in the basement they collected for spring planting. Over the course of several nights that little mouse found and sacked all them seeds up the basement stairs, under the basement door, into the kitchen and on into the living room. Then it had to climb up about 4 feet onto a ledge and deposit them into an artificial flower pot. That was the most determined little mouse I ever saw. They later caught to mouse in a trap on the basement stairway. Little bugger.  ;D  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

What a thread -  :D  this could be a book of short stories -  A guy I work with [Bronx reject, moved to the country]  found a nest of little baby mice on the engine of his Wheel Horse once, rather than disturb them [they were so cute he said]   He did his whole lawn [3-4 hrs]  with the push mower. What a dope!  :D    My greatest kill ever was with a Grainger catalog - Sitting in the recliner, one goes across the floor - lead 'em perfect too -  caught between the thrown catalog [1000 pages]  and the baseboard -  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bernie on February 17, 2006, 01:29:42 PM
Will this water bucket, wire and peanut butter can trap work on Rats?
:P

Always worked at the logging camp, some mornings there would be 3 or 4 in the bucket. ;D Breakfast ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Mike, good score with the catalog. Do you play horseshoes ??? :D

I've caught little ones that were running up or down the stairs in an 8 oz. glass ...... twice :D

They sure do like to move seeds around and explore ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

Swamp, I would not be surprised if that was the breakfast menu at a logging camp I was in. It was a dump.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ARKANSAWYER

A while back I was sitting and watching TV.   Something ran from the stairs to the stove.   Did not believe my eyes.   A bit later it did it again and I saw it good this time.  Fetched the pellet rifle and wife got to asking questions.   "Wait" says I.  She says "Youse is not shooting that thing in the house."   "Be alright" says I "fer I'm a good shot"   In just no time I spied an eyeball and wiskers sticking out between the oven and wastecan.   Pop! and this large pack rat flops out in the floor, kicks a time or two and then dies.  Wife looks at me and says "Youse got plenty of BB's?"   :D :D :D
ARKANSAWYER

WH_Conley

Got a Hi Standard .22. Rat shot works great. Wife not real crazy about it since I took the paint off the new dryer though.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!