iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water pressure

Started by Tom_Averwater, March 05, 2007, 08:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_Averwater

I am wanting to water my watermelon and sweet corn patch this year using trickle irrigation. I can tap into the neighbors pond that is 500 feet away with approx. 80 feet of rise to the pond. The irrigation lines take 7 to 22 pounds of pressure to operate . I would like to use a piece of 1 inch plastic from the pond for the supply. Does anybody know of a formula for figuring out  water pressure per foot of rise ? Thanks Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Ianab

Feet head (of water) x .433 = Pounds per square inch (PSI)

80 x .433 = 34.6 psi

So you prolly want to be pumping at about 50psi ? 1" pipe should be fine as long as you dont need a high flow rate.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

wiam

There is also going to be some friction loss in the pipe, but I can not find my table for that right now.

Will

Qweaver

This is a little confusing to me.  Is the pond above the field that you want to water?  If so, you should be good to go and in fact may need to regulate.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tom_Averwater

the pond sits on a hill above the field I want to irrigate .  Thanks for the replies. Tom

Faron

Are you setting up a siphon line, then?  That ought to work fine.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Dana

Tom here is the flow rates for plastic pipe. Since you mention trickle watering, flow isn't that big of a deal. All gallons per minute are for your spec/distance of 500 feet.

1/2" - 2 gpm
3/4" - 5 gpm
1"    - 8 gpm
1 1/4" - 19 gpm
1 1/2 "- 26 gpm
2" - 50 gpm
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Tom_Averwater

The neighbor has a pipe running out of the bottom of the dam. He used to water his cattle with it .

Tom_Averwater

dana ,is that for no pressure in the line , just flow ?

Dana

Tom, that is the total flow that  size pipe can carry per minute, (max. flow)

Also you will want to consider the fact the pipe comes out of the bottom of the dam. The pressure  of the water above the pipe in the dam should be taken into account. As was said above, you may need to regulate the p.s.i down.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

snowman

This is a subject near and dear to me since my new home will have hydro power.Easy way to figure psi is ,2.3 feet of drop=1psi.You mentioned sucking water from bottim of a cow pond, I forsee huge problem with trickle irrigation due to sediment in bottom of pond.Ive been sucking from a clean stream hooked up to my camper where i spent all last summer logging and milling on my future home site and had to clean the screen the hose hooks into every other day or so.Kinda off the subject but ive been using this water to wash my logs, 70psi, 10 gallons per minute, works great,all but debarks them for me :)

Faron

I think the setup Tom is talking about doesn't actually pull off the very bottom of the pond.  The pipe goes through the dam and has an intake a few feet off the bottom.  Usually the cattle don't have access to the pond itself, so it stays clean.  I am working on a similiar setup on a farm I just rented. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

scgargoyle

Everyone on our pond draws water for the lawn. I have a perforated PVC well point on the end of the suction pipe, and a float tied to the end of it to keep it out of the muck.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Tom_Averwater

Faron is right about the pond. The cows ,when he has them ,are fenced out of the pond. Y'all have been a big help on this. Now if it does'nt rain I can get some plowing done . Tom

Thank You Sponsors!