iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurry Cane season.....

Started by Texas Ranger, April 28, 2007, 02:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

and I'm setting at the computer waiting for my 15 kw generator to finish it's second hour of breakin, and wondering what others may be doing for preperation.  Rita convinced me that I needed power back up.  The 15kw is enough to run the house without the central a/c and just a couple of window units.  After Rita it was in the mid 90's around here and plum misserable.  I have the back up stuff positioned as well, the out door cooking stuff, chainsaws, some food stocks, some MRE's, will have water stock if it looks like one coming this way.

How do you guys in Florida set up?  Y'all have had more than your share, and us, of this weather events.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

I got new tars on the car! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I got a little brother in Westkonsin.

Woodwalker

go_away
I pack my bag and go for an all expense paid field trip to the places most everybody else has evacuated.
smiley_horserider
How big an AC you running ???
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Texas Ranger

The main is 5 ton, but I can get by on two 8000 btu window units.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mooseherder

Got the Shutters for da windows and braces for Garage door if we gotta board up.
SIL has a generator he'll bring over because mine is at the camp. ::)
We can run the Well pump off the generator or use pool water in a bucket for the flushing of da water closet. :D
Stock up on food a few days ahead of the storm.
Fill gas cans ahead of the rush when storm is tracking our direction.
Extra charcoal fer cooking.
AC won't be hooked up. :(

scgargoyle

Got 7 acres @ 1100' in SC, and a tent! Problem is- where we are in west central FL, by the time we get a reliable warning, the roads are too clogged to evacuate. We put in a wind-rated garage door, and we have window covers. We start shopping for deals on charcoal about now, and we keep a hurricane supply box, and lots of water on hand. This house is @ 55', so we're well above the tide, so as long as the roof doesn't go 'Wizard-Of-Oz' on us, we'll be OK.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Dave Shepard

Hurricanes aren't something we think about to much in my neck of the woods, although we get a mild tornado every once in a while. Hope it's a quiet season for everyone in "Hurry Cane" country.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Slabs

When "I"(and neighbors) built the house back in the 80's I knew that I was in the Florida hurricane zone.  House is located in a fairly heavy (for the area) wooded place.  It's partially "in ground" on a hill side and stays reasonably cool without air conditioning but will suffer humidity without A/C.  No effort was spared to assure the house would resist a storm: good old style wood framing techniques with contemporary tricks like double hurricane fasteners.   Got a couple of "putt-putt's" to keep the perishables viable and most importantly-the beer cool, as the power outages always occur in the warm months.  Well is rigged for gen. power too.  Propane is the cooking fuel and I have a 100 gallon tank.  The first tank lasted for years.  Chain saw is active year round and a MF-165 diesel will help with the big stuff.

Now, just gotta watch the weather and keep the beer and bean stocks up.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Carries-Mom

startin' ta stock up on the canned goods and soon, we'll be fillin' the 5 gal. gas cans instead of waiting hours at the pump and then finding out the pumps are dry... >:(  Got our 24' camper cleaned out and ready to go in case we have to leave...Thought about sellin' it, but decided to wait until after the season.  Gonna pull the new generator out and get it runnin' either this weekend or the next...Gettin' important paperwork together..our home got trashed with Francis and Jeanne...had to rebuild the whole inside of our home and put a new roof on, ourselves...insurance gave us $20,000 to rebuild with.  >:( That wasn't nearly enough...other people didn't get anywhere near the damage we got, and got twice as much from their insurance...want to make sure we are prepared, especially with Carrie.. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!