iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goats and Electric Fence

Started by PawNature, June 21, 2007, 10:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PawNature

Sittin here trying to cross the GW Bridge and was curious to hear if anyone has any experience with goats an electric fence. IE how many strands will I need to hold em ect.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Mr Mom

25 strands. just kiding
had a friend his family raised goats and always got out went throught or over it. They ended up putting a long pice of chain on the goats neck and when he would stick his throught the fence or jump he would get shocked.
That is the only way i know of.
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Dave Shepard

If a goat can see through it, or over it, they can get out of it. I think the best bet is a netting product that looks like page wire, only it is made of electric fence webbing.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Patty

Back in '03  ::)  we had a discussion on electric fences and goats. Our FF friends to the east, Electric Goat Fence Electric Al & Linda had a pretty good set up. You may want to check out the thread.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

PawNature

Thanks patty, also like Mr Moms chain around the neck solution.

Riles

It's not the number of strands, it's the current. But you do getting a better overall effect with more strands.

Wait, this isn't a food question, is it?  ;D
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Quartlow

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

PawNature

I can't stop laughing. Its like turn up the juice a little I like this stuff

Dave Shepard

You people and your high speed internet. :( I can picture what that looked like though.  ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WH_Conley

Wife had some goats last year, electric fence no problem, til the billy grew his winter coat, fence wouldn't touch him. I even took the box off and hooked straight 110, no luck. Couple of rounds of snake shot from a 38, wouldn't keep him in, but when he saw me he couldn't get back in fast enough. One evening the boy that helps me and myself were doing some serious thinking. Ever see a goat with a patch of hair down his backbone shaved off? Woul not get near the fence after that. ;D
Bill

beenthere

Nope, never seen one. Hope you have a pic of that goat.   :D :D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tony

We're looking to expand our goat herd and hog wire is the only thing we've seen or used that works. Be sure to get the kind with the small squares on the bottom  ;D ;D ;D ::)    Goats are becoming a very big business here in Mississippi. Must feed all the trespassers u know ::) ::)

Tony 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

thecfarm

There is a place that I go by every morning and they have at least 10 goats and they only have 3 strands of wire and they do it.I think this is their 3rd summer with them.This is a 2-3 arce field so there is plenty for them to eat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

I had goats at one time.  The highest total I ever had was about 30.  I never tried electric fence, since I was told not to bother.  This was before the newer stuff they have now.

I used 4' cattle fence.  That would keep them in until they found a hole or mashed down the fence enough so they could jump over it.  When we came home from work, we would always have to do a head count and figure which ones were out, and where was the likely area they were located.  They had plenty of feed in my pasture, but the neighbors always looked more inviting.

Finally, I just gave up and let them have the run of the place.  After that, they seemed to stay in my field a little better.    Besides, they would run for the shelter when they saw my truck coming and would be innocently inside the fence by the time I had it parked.   :D

They sure do knock the daylights out of multiflora rose bushes.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Robert R

I had good luck with 5 strands.  But then, being the intelligent person I am, I planted my sweet corn next to the goat pen.  After that fiasco, they went to market and the corn stayed.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

woodmills1

customer last week orderd some lumber to make a shed for his cow.

meanwhile one of the tree services I pick up for was cutting some maple for the same customer.  they told me the customers goats ate the maple as fast as they cut it down. :D

customer comes to pick up the lumber and I mention how much the goats like the maple.  He says thats not all..........seems he felt the goats bumping up against him while putting in the posts for the shed.............few minutes later there is a pile of money on the ground.........goat picked his pocket and ate a 20 dollar bill and a few singles.......... :D expensive feed
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

customsawyer

If you make the bottom strand of your elec. fence barb wire then you don't have to shave there backs as the barbs will stick down in to the hair and reach the skin making the contact that you seek.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Wenrich

I put barbed wire up when I first got goats.  They walked right through it and I was chasing them for half an hour.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

PawNature

I think customsawyer was reffering to electrically charged barbed wire.

Modat22

My neighbors have goats and an electric fence, they ran 4 strands around 4" sq wire fence.  Some of the goats still put their heads through the fence and get their horns stuck and end up looking like they have a nervous condition after getting shocked all day.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!