iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Project to finish a Remodel (Spalted Red Oak Mirror)

Started by Radar67, September 12, 2008, 11:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I posted earlier about what I learned while remodeling. Today, I started the last part of that project. Some of you may remember a log I had cooking for a while.

Here is a picture of it on the mill a little over a year ago.

I needed some special wood to build a frame for a mirror in our bathroom remodel, so I selected a piece from this log. It spalted real well while it was cooking. Here is the frame ready for a few coats of tung oil.

That picture didn't turn out to well, so I took a close up of one of the corners to show the spalt.

The wife wasn't too sure about it at first, but I told her that she picked the floor and the paint, so I got to pick the mirror frame.  ;) It's starting to grow on her.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

That looks nice Terry. It is hard to tell from the pic, but does the frame have a flat profile?

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

Yes, it has a flat profile with both edges rounded over. I have a 1/2 inch thick by 2 inch wide piece of oak glued to the back. It is inset 5/8 inch for the mirror to fit flush with the wide outer frame.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

WDH

I see a few worm channels too, adding to the character.  That is some beautiful wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

There were a few worm channels and a couple of holes you can't see in the picture.

Thank You Sponsors!