iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EASY Deer Camp Chicken Pot Pie

Started by Jeff, November 19, 2008, 07:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Tammy that's the same arrangement Patty and I have. I will admit though Jeff's got me beat in the making dishes off the cuff. 

Jeff

Day Two, its even better.

I got enough for two more meals for me, or if someone wants to show up up here in da up, enough for supper for two on day three. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Hanny

Thanks Jeff,

I guess I'm going to be the one who tests out what happens if the "let stand for 20 minutes" part of the excellent directions was, somehow, missed.  smiley_thumbsup

At the end of 40 minutes the top of my Easy-CPP looked solid, but it still looked like the color of the mix - so I put on the High-temp broiler for probably less than a minute, watching it the whole time, and it came out pretty well.

Just like Jeff suggested, I went with good amounts of seasonings (using black pepper, Paprika and a "Peppercorn Medley" grinder).  I threw in a small can of chicken that I had to use up soon as well.

There is some taste that I feel like I'm missing though - like butter, perhaps?  Something to make it a little more rich.  Still, as it is it would be a perfect and hardy meal at a deer camp for sure.  The more I eat of it, the more I like it.  Again, thanks Jeff.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. 
-- Buddha

sawguy21

DanG it Jeff, if I had not just finished two dishes of her home made chili, I would be right over. That looks mighty good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Hanny

I just noticed something - Jeff calls for "cooked chicken breasts" - but I failed to read that part.

I've been buying uncooked breasts, chopping them up and putting 'em in, then cooking for the 40 minutes.  The chicken seems to be cooked when it comes out (or... at least I haven't got sick yet). 

This last time I did allow the whole thing to sit for minutes after applying the Jiffy mix on top, and the difference was that the top came out of the oven browned this time (whereas the first time I had to put the broiler on to get the top to brown)... so maybe there is a reason to let the baking mix sit a while before putting it in the oven?  The instructions on the box don't seem to indicate one way or the other about having to let the mix sit before cooking, but I do know that bread dough needs time to rise... but rising vs. browning doesn't seem to be the same thing.   ???

Still darned good though.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. 
-- Buddha

Jeff

Yea, you should used cooked chicken. Yours may be cooking, but you dont want to take a chance of eating under cooked chicken. Having it cooked speeds up the meal a lot.  The jiffy mix will actually rise just a little bit if you let it set, and seems to brown a bit better.

If you use another can of soup, it will be much richer. Sometimes I do.

CHARLIE

Here's an easy chicken pot pie recipe that I found on the internet a couple of years ago. I fix it a lot and it's easy.  I use those rollup pastries that come in a box for the crust. I use a double crust. One on the bottom and one on  the top.  I modified it a bit and make a great beef pot pie too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicken Pot Pie

Recipe Created By : Mary Kolling & Robbie
Serves : 8
Prep. Time : 1:00

1 lb. boned, skinned chicken OR turkey breast meat - cubed
2 med. carrots - sliced thin
1 rib celery - sliced thin
1 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup butter OR margarine
1 med. onion - chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk - low-fat okay
2 tsp. chicken soup base OR 2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
(2) 9" un-baked pie crusts
1 Tbls. butter OR margarine

-Place chicken/turkey, carrots, and celery in a 2-quart saucepan. Pour just enough water over to cover all. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until meat is cooked through. Add peas to pot and simmer for 1 minute.
-Drain water from pan, reserving 2 cups of the water; set aside meat and vegetables.
-In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in 1/3 cup butter until soft; stir in flour; slowly whisk in reserved water and milk; stir in soup base/bouillon, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Simmer sauce until thick; remove from heat; set aside.
-Center one pie crust in a lightly greased 9" pie plate; spread cooked chicken and vegetables evenly into crust; pour prepared sauce into crust.
-Center second pie crust over pie; fold over edges and pinch with a fork to seal; and prick holes in top of crust.
-Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
-Rub 1 Tbls. butter over top of hot crust. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.

Comments: -I do not use celery seeds in my pie 'cause I don't like them.   -I substituted beef for the chicken, beef bouillon for the chicken bouillon and added a cup of a chopped potato and got a good beef pot pie.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Tammy and I sorted through the freezer today so we knew what we had, and I came across the very last bag of pork left over from this years Forestry Forum Pigroast. I thought it was all gone. Well, it is now. Its in the oven using the first recipe in the thread. :)

Dave Hanny, I used 3 cans of mushroom soup in this one. :)

Dave Hanny

I was going to try all mushroom soup, or half mushroom and half cream of chicken in the next chicken pot pie.  Just had to use up the Cream of Chicken cans I had first.

Thanks for the words of caution, but I've got to tell ya, 40 minutes at 350 degrees sounds sort of long enough to cook chopped-up uncooked chicken... but I had better check some cooking resources.  I do know that the texture of the chopped up bits sure seems like all of the chicken gets cooked in that 40 minutes, but better safe than sorry I guess.  ;D
-- Buddha

Jeff

I screwed up my own recipe tonight. It was ok, but the top was thin and not as good.  I had a brain fart and only put one cup jiffy instead of two to the one cup of milk.  I thought it looked funny, but didnt think bout it hard enough.

Thank You Sponsors!