iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

backhoe

Started by justintimemoto, August 15, 2009, 07:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintimemoto

im might be going to look at a backhoe for sale used w 2000hours  its a cat 416d  what should i look for? thank u
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

DanG

A way to get it home and a place to hide it from your wife? ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

martinf

Yep, first what DanG said!  Then:
solid hydraulic hoses, no leaks at cylinders, a strong pump (check by lifting the back hoe's back end up in the air with the digger bucket, then also by extending the hoe arm as far out as possible and then lifting it in the air), no unusualy noises in all gears at all speeds, leaky injectors....
a firm handshake and a solid look in the seller's eyes.....
~martinf

Gary_C

Quote from: DanG on August 15, 2009, 11:52:19 AM
A way to get it home and a place to hide it from your wife? ;D 8) 8)

Then you also have to hide it from your friends, relatives, and especially your kids.

And don't do work for others unless you have plenty of insurance.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

John Woodworth

pins and bushings along with what others have said, understand one thing though being Cat. you will pay for the name when it comes to repairs.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

scsmith42

If you have the option, take a fluid sample from the engine, transmisison and hydraulic system, and send it in for analysis at a good lab (Cat has one).

416's are great machines and fairly late model, and 2000 hours is low time.  The fluid analysis will give you a great idea of the condition of the internals (assuming that all of the fluids have not just been changed).

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

I have a question that might help Justintime, or anybody else that is considering buying a backhoe.  I'd like to have one, but it would have to be a cheapie, like under $10,000.  Most any machine in that range is going to have some issues, like worn pins, etc.  The question is, what are the real dealbreakers?  Like the things that would make you say something like, "I wouldn't have that SOB if you gave it to me!", or "That thing would cost more to fix than it is worth."?  :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

Main pin where the main boom attaches to the chassis..look for excess movement when you lift the machine with the boom...not a big problem to replace, as it is a sacrificial part anyway, but at 2000 hours, will give you and idea of how often the machine has been maintained, those things last a long time if the machine is greased regularly, not so long if it has been run to death by the yard birds...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

woodmills1

I recently bought a 93 416B  no IT but it is a beast.  At the 15K I paid I can fix it.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

justintimemoto

thanks i was supposed to look at it guy never called back so idk plus me and my dad were goin to split the payment but he will probably change his mind
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

shinnlinger

SOmething else you might consider is what is your primary use for a backhoe?

If I could only have one machine a backhoe would be fine, but a backhoe is a compromise machine. If digging is your main goal You can find mini excavators for under 10 grand that are solid machines and 3x the digger a hoe is.  Being able to move the machine while sitting at the hoe controls is a huge plus. 

A bobcat compliments a mini ex nicely for moving fill, but I don't see the screaming deals on them the way I see them on Mini ex's, so a cheap dumptruck might be a better thing to do.  MIne was $400 and has served me well.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

justintimemoto

well we would gert forks for it for work and do side jobs and stuff plowing in the winter...my opinion is a backhoes very use ful
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

ErikC

Replacing an engine or transmission is the dealbreaker for me. I rebuilt the hydraulic reverser in my JCB transmission this winter, and parts alone were almost $3000. Most won't take on that kind of DIY project, so add a bunch of labor.  A little wear or slop in the pins is no big deal, and a lot of things can be welded on the Iron. But if you are going to have to do a major overhaul on a recent (last 20 years :)) machine it may well go 5 digits. Should be a good ways off on a 2000 hr machine if it was maintained at all.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Georgia Boy

I bought a 416B with 2800 hrs. the machine had a perkins engine. The only money I spent once I had it for about a month was the bushings on the main boom were busted and they had to be line bored which was about $ 360.00.  The perkins engine is great, as for the hydrautic's I had no problems. I've run Case, John Deere, and Cat, in my opinion the Cat backhoe is the Bull of the Woods. About the wife issue,  I bought the backhoe and built my wife and children a swimming pool. I now have a really nice pool, the problem is I sold the backhoe to pay for the pool. Don't say it, I know I had issue's.
Take care. :-\

Magicman

Georgia Boy, Welcome to FF.  Honesty will get you everything/nothing...... :D :D :D

What kind of bandmill are you looking at?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sjfarkas

I agree with shinnlinger a mini Ex and a skidsteer could be better.  I personally hate backhoes and would rather run an Excavator anyday.  I also think that an excavator would be better in the woods.  Either way you go get a thumb.  I couldn'tlive without.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

cheyenne

I've got one for sale in the for sale section. 200 hrs on a rebuilt engine......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

jim blodgett

What would be deal breakers? 

If it were my one piece of equipment it would have to be 4 wheel drive - critical in the woods and very nice when lifting/transporting logs and lumber around the mill.

ErikC

I never thought about that, mine is and I take it for granted-but Jim is absolutely right about 4 wheel drive.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

customsawyer

Don't ya'll worry none about Georgia Boy I have known him for years and he still hasn't learned anything. (even though I taught him all I now.) ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!