iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PM 50 jointer

Started by tyb525, November 20, 2009, 08:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

In the wood shop at school, there is a late 60's Powermatic 50 jointer (6"). I noticed it the first day in the class, it was  sitting in the corner. It hasn't been used in over 15 years, according to my teacher. The "Shop" classes hardly use any of the machinery any more, just the radial arm saw and table saw, very lightly.

I am thinking about making an offer to the school for it. It has no rust an all, and is in good shape, except the blades need sharpened.

I was thinking $300-$350 might be good?

What do you guys think? High or low? Or no go?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pasbuild

To much Ty, I would pay that for the table saw but not a 6" jointer.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Larry

Those are quite nice jointers...I like the center fence adjustment better than the end adjusters.  Does it have the closed stand and I would guess a 1/2 horsepower motor?

A fair price for both the school and you would be $100.  You have to remember the machine is 40 years old and hasn't been used in 15...the grease in motor and arbor bearings does dry out in time.  The contacts in the switch arc and corrode.  Belts and knifes need replaced more than likely.  Another $150 or so could have the machine in top shape if you do the work...much more if you have to hire it done. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

Dont be surprised if it "needs to go to public auction". In  many places to be fair to all tax payers who actually paid for it, it will need to either be put out to a local public auction or bid process. FYI. I have been to many of these at local school districts, prices, quality of current condition of the equipment vary greatly. You are in a good place  even if goes to bid because you know where it's been and actual condition, many bidders wont. Better to miss out on it to some one unknowingly bids too high given good OR bad history. Typically, middle school equipment can be in pretty good shape as the students may have only worked part of the year "hands on". Sometimes kids can and do knowingly abuse tools as well. 

FYI, best PM stuff is that light green from that era (many times w/ name cast into housings), then followed by dark green (w/ white, usually w/ name stickers) then the least desireable gold which is from their "import years" meaning many casting came from overseas. All will function but they did have casting "seasoning" issues in the transition years to overseas production as they required faster turnaround from their suppliers.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

Also check power supply, three phase is likely not available at home. FYI.

You could also sniff around at local woodshop/ woodworkers club. Many times and ole timer will see your motivation and appriciate it and give you a great buy on something they have not used or no longer need. When i was your age I had "woodshop envy" of my Mom's nieghbor (a well off phamicist) who had a full shop. I drooled. Today it funny to think back and see all the top of the line stuff I have. He never even really used the stuff.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!