iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Framed again...

Started by Brian_Bailey, October 10, 2003, 08:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

Got an e-mail from my youngest boy the other day asking me if I could make up some frames for him?

You see, he has a degree in computer drafting.  After working for various manufacturers and getting laid off because of economic downsizing, he decided to go back to college an get his teaching certificate to become a tech - ed teacher. One of the courses he is taking required him to develop a time line on the modes of transportation. He needed a frame to put each category in.

Here's what I came up with for him.  I had some basswood that was looking for a good use. I think it fit the bill pretty nicely as the frames hooked together are almost 5' long. The basswood, which I refer to as northern balsa wood kept the frames from being to heavy. A little shellac for a finish added some color to the wood, but didn't overpower the main reason for the frames, my boy's timelines.

Thanks for looking ;D

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tom

Kevin

Very nice Brian, did your son have a project too?  ;D

Brian_Bailey

Yes he did. His project is enclosed in the frames and done very nicely, I might add   ;) :).
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Kevin

Did you clamp and glue those miters or brad them?

Paul_H

They are great,and it can't hurt his grades being presented like that either.

I like the subject too.Often think of my step-grandfather,born in 1883,died 1981.He saw the change from horses and steam,to jets and rockets in his life time.

It's only been 100 years since the Wright brothers first flight.Blows the mind!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Tell your son that those pictures are real education in sequence.   From a retired educator.   Very nice work on posth of your parts.  thank yourselves for careing enought about kids to teach in such a creative maner.  Tht form of edcation is an everlasting technique of visul learning applied.
Frank Pender

shopteacher

Brian,
    As I went through the same course of study that your boy is now in I'd like to say that is one very nice time line for the transportation portion of the tech ed program.  Give him my best, hope he does well and lands a position with an organization as good as mine.
  Oh, by the way, NICE FRAMES!
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ron Wenrich

Every time I look at your work, I just get jealous.  DanG, you do some mighty fine work.  Who was your teacher?  

My grandpa was a cabinet maker.  He went into the business because "he understood fractions".  It was a big deal in the early 1900s.  He went on to building schools and churches - his specialty.  When he was 76, they told him he had to retire.  At 82, they called him back.

He also taught his son, who taught his grandson.  Unfortunately, I wasn't in that time frame.  I figured I would grow the trees, and make the lumber and let someone who could produce works of art do just that.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Brian_Bailey

Kevin,  

I just glued and then clamped them with strap clamps overnite.  A trick I picked up somewhere's on gluing end grain, is to seal the end grain with glue first, then glue up the joint and clamp.  By sealing the end grain the glue is not wicked out of the joint and you'll have a very strong bond. Hopefully :).

Paul_H,

I know what you mean about our advancement in technology in such a short blip in time. It truly is mind boggling. Makes one wonder what's in store for us in the future? I guess we'll just have to wait n see :).

Frank and shopteacher,  

My son says "Thanks" for the kind words. I think he'll be glad when the basic schooling is over with and secures a job. That steady cash flow is kind of a nice thing to have.

Ron,  

Thanks, all I can say is, "If I can do it, so can anyone else!"

I have no formal training, just a lot of self study. Forums such this one have provided me with an ocean of opportunities to excel and hopefully I can offer some back. All you have to do is put your mind to it and pay attention to the details. Besides, I don't post pictures of my scrap pile ;D ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!