iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pto operated planer ??

Started by northernss454, May 15, 2010, 08:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernss454

Hi I am looking at a 4 side planer run by PTO. Its a ways from my home so I just talked to the guy,it has power feed run off a hydrostat drive to control speed,4 sided planer,on a trailer that can be hauled by a truck. He said its a big heavy machine and does a fine job of planing and once its set it make perfect cuts everytime.. I am waiting on some pictures he is going to send me and I will post them. What are they worth if in decent shape?? 2 grand??  Does anyone have one and could they send me pictures just to compare to what I get from the fellow selling.
Thanks

shinnlinger

HI,

Try posting this in the drying and processing section.  OWM (old woodworking machines .com or something similar might help also.  I do not have one, but stormin' from this site does. My feeling is 2 grand is probably fair for a good working machine and there is a surprising amount of support to repair things that need it for old machines like that.

Things you might consider with an old machine like that is how well is it safety guarded? Your personal experience/comfort with setting planer knives. Your metal fabrication skills and equipment and How many hp PTO does it need and do you have a tractor or power unit up for the task?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

bandmiller2

454,it may be a trip but I'd like to see a machine run for that kind of money,if everything works well and spare knives est. probibly worth it.You really have to see it in person ask if the price is flexable,if you travel far they think they got you.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

red oaks lumber

first question i would ask, does it have babbitt bearings? or are they ball bearings. if it has babbitt bearings,  walk away unless you are very talented at pouring new bearings.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

shinnlinger

I have never poured babbit, but Jason Weir on this site has and he made it seem like it was no big deal.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

bandmiller2

Pouring babbit is much like casting lead bullets, principal is simple but theirs a knack to it.The biggest problem is alignment of the shafts wile you pour the babbit,much better if you don't have to do it. Frank C.

WH_Conley

Done it. Didn't care much for it.
Bill

northernss454

WH u say been there done it. Did you mean babbit  bearings or running the PTO planer?
Thanks

bandmiller2

454,I believe WH is talking about babbit bearings.I have an old Parks  12" plainer I hooked up for three point hitch PTO drive, works well unless you use it every day,like in a cabinet shop.Unless you have 3 phase power or a seperate engine to run the four sider its a good option as you can't get a single phase motor large enough to do it justice.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!