iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Hole Filler

Started by Walt900, August 29, 2010, 02:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt900

I'm looking for recommendations on what to use to fill a hole in a ERC log. 

The hole is approximately two inches in diameter and four inches deep.  It's in a location where it can rain collect water.  I'd like to fill the hole completely and then be able to stain the repaired area.

pineywoods

Epoxy Glue mixed with ERC sawdust
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

knowslittle

Epoxy will work well, but be careful . . . epoxy does exotherm (?) and will easily start a fire.   I use alot of the stuff and during a hot day, fires start easily, especially in a mass of the size you are talking of, and using sawdust as filler.  I'd do it, but on a cool day, and in the shade. Epoxy is extremely temperature sensitive, and the day's temperature affects not only it's cure time but
the attending fire risk.
    Perhaps try it out first by filling a hole drilled in a similar piece of wood? But do keep a fire extinguisher close at hand.
  And watch what you do with the container you mix the epoxy in.  I use disposable Dixie cups, and they do melt or burn.  Don't use glass,(even Pyrex), as it can shatter.  After pouring the mixed epoxy into the repair, be sure to place the mixing container in an open area, free of sawdust/weeds where if it does burn no fire will take hold. And wait a day or two to throw the container in the trash.  Not know which epoxy product you plan on using, I'd suggest waiting  a few days.

Something that size I might partially fill the hole, wait until it is partially cured (it will have some tacky feel to it) and add to it until project is complete.  This will lower the temperature and risk of fire.
  Hope this helps.  Epoxy is great stuff, but you do need to be aware of the risks.

Staining of  epoxy is rough.  Perhaps fill the hole not quite full, then tap an epoxy coated plug (pre cut w/ grain to match) into the partially filled hole, wait till cured, and pare flush?  This will allow much better control of the stain.
Good luck,
Bob

Walt900

Thank you guys for the information.  

I did find a PermaChink product called E-Wood.  It is epoxy based but doesn't mention any fire hazard on the label.  A fire hazard is mentioned on the MSDS.

One other is PC-Woody by PC Products.  No fire hazard mentioned.

Any other recommendations?

knowslittle

Never used or heard of either, but I bet if it is a 2 part mix, there is possiblilty of fire hazard.
  Matching adjacent stained wood may still be a problem.
Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!