iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newby question

Started by mjeselskis, July 13, 2011, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

I've got about 500 bf through the LT28 since I bought it. I've been using the same blade it came with. Tonight i cut some 1x12 out of white pine and after I got done I noticed they were far wavier than the rest of the lumber I've been cutting. I'm thinking my feed speed was too fast, and the blade is probably in need of a sharpening since the guy said it was well used when I bought the mill.

Which leads me to my questions -
How do I know how fast to feed it? I was just going until the motor barely started to bog.
How do I know when the blade is getting dull so I dont get wavy lumber?
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

bandmiller2

A-yup,sounds like you discovered a dull band.There are alot of ways to tell sound,wavy lumber,load on the engine or a band diving or raising in the cut.First thing a fella should do is put a new or known good band on and try it.Theirs no set no. of board feet depends if you hit dirt or how hard the log is. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

As far as feed speed I usally adjust the feed so the engine and band is running at its normal  RPM.Probibly increase feed til you hear the engine load then back off a little. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Quote from: mjeselskis on July 13, 2011, 08:27:09 PM
How do I know how fast to feed it?   How do I know when the blade is getting dull so I dont get wavy lumber?

First, you need a sharp and properly set blade.  This will give you a feel as to how your sawmill should perform.  But, yes but.  Each log and species of logs are individuals unto themselves.  Knots, no knots, internal stress; they all saw differently.  Only experience and lots of it will be the true teacher, and then you still will not have all of the answers.  A new log the next day will have a mind of it's own.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

It all comes in time.Listen to the blade,it makes a certain noise when it's just right. Just enough lube,just enough speed,just enough sharpness in the blade. White pine should cut good. Was there knots? Big ones,old dead ones,lots of knots?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mjeselskis

Thanks for the advice. This blade had gone through some dirty bark on some logs. I did notice that the blade sounded slightly different tonight. The logs were full of big knots, since there were the tops of the trees that weren't worth taking to the mill. I think I'll throw a new band on and take note of the sound and performance.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

thecfarm

Slow down on those big knots too. That may make a diffeance no matter if the blade is shape or not. Those big white pine knots are hard.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Sometimes when I get to sawing, I overlook some things like feed speed and the feed will seem to be slowing down and I'll turn the rheostat a little to increase the power and the speed a little, then it'll dawn on me....... Duh, the blades getting dull!  ::)

So, I change out the blade and put a resharpened one on and I'm ready for another 5-800 bf!  :)

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Your blade life can vary a lot, a couple of cuts through dirt it's dull. Nice clean wood you might get over 1000 bf in pine.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!