iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Can you say Stress?

Started by Kirk_Allen, January 29, 2004, 01:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Fla,
Thanks for the tip.  I will cut the stump out next trip down.  

The chips were a very light color when we cut it from the stump.  The photo may look like a redish cherry color but the chips say other wise.   Definatly not walnut. Walnut delivers a very dark chip when you cross cut it.  

Kirk_Allen

This was an Ash that blew over into the creek.  It was growing on the side of the creek bank.  I cant wait to see what this will do when I cut it.  

This photo is of the stump.  It appears that the tree was growing at a 90 degree angle.  

Ianab

Yup Kirk... I can see the stress from here  :D
Although we have just cut up a Monterey Cypress that looked the same, and got some really good boards out of it.
Unfortunately we managed to put a split up the middle of the 90% clear heartwood butt log as we 'felled' it  :(  The top fell about 6 feet to the ground ! Still got some very nice clear boards that seem stable so far.

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Kirk, yer throwin away the best part if ya Don'T saw that 90° piece.

That is the kind of table slabs we get the best price for.

Saw it through and through and leave the bark on. You can fill the defects when the pieces are dry.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

I can't see the bark too well but it looks like it's walnut not ash. Our ash around here has a much bigger sapwood ring. Whatever it is the boards should do some interesting moves when you cut it.

Brian_Bailey

Looks like cherry to me?

Here is a pic of what you might get from logs with sudden turns  :D.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Fla._Deadheader

Here's one of our favorites 8)

First, it is ridiculed;

WV_hillbilly

Those are some nice looking boards Brian and Deadheader .  

Is it unusual for the sap wood to be uneven all the way around the heartwood like that  ?
Hillbilly

redpowerd

if you dont mind me askin', what do boards like that bring?
are they specifically for tables?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Norm

Those are neat pieces Brian and Harold. How do they finish pecky cypress, do they try to fill in the holes with finish or is it left with the voids. Looks like it took some careful sawing to get the nice big slab you've got.

Since I was wrong on the walnut I'll not try to guess what kind of wood you showed Brian. :D

Fla._Deadheader

The Pecky slab I showed, was going into a Desk top. Guy came into the shop and just HAD to have it. Ed thought he had it priced high enough to keep it for himself. NOPE. Guy paid $300.00 for it.

It was 5 feet long and 24 inches wide, half way between the ends, and 2¼ inches thick. We can cut 37" between the roller guides, and ED had to slide it around on the bunks, so it would sneak past the guides ;D ;D  Got to handle this stuff carefully sometimes. It doesn't have a lot of stability.

I have heard of filling the voids, but WHY ???  We suggest just a nice clear finish, or not, and a piece of Glass, cut to fit.

In the picture, we had just hosed the loose rot out of the voids. The log made 5 of those. We wholesaled the others for $150.00 each ::) ::)  NOW, we know better ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Brian_Bailey

The wood in the pic that I posted was from a sugar maple. It was a custom saw job.  I can't say what they'd be worth green, but I know what I'd charge for a finished table  :o.

I still say Kirk's log is cherry  :).
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Kirk_Allen

Brian,
I hope your right!

Never have enough cherry.

I didnt pay much attention to the bark as it was covered in snow and ice.  The chips were not typicall of cherry in our area and they did not smell like cherry, however I have not cut FROZEN cherry before so maybe it did not release that distinct smell.

I will keep you posted.  If your right, you win a cherry board!

Bibbyman

I guess I'm missing something.   ???

Maybe there is something in the culture fundamentally different in my area.  But wood like y-all have shown wouldn't make it out of the woods here in Missouri.  If it made it to my lot,  I wouldn't saw it unless the owner and I had an understanding that he'd pay for the sawing and haul it off. (We have people say, "Well,  saw it anyway and we'll see if it's good." . And I tell them I'll saw it,  but you're going to pay for the sawing – if it's good or bad.  When I put it that way,  they normally reconsider.)

We run into stuff like that from time to time and it goes right into the slab pile.  I've never had anyone ask for anything like that or spot in our slab pile and want it.

To each his own. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Brian_Bailey

Bibbyman,  

I don't think you've missed anything  :D.  That stuff is generally left in the woods in my area too. Except in this particular case, the feller for the logger that I deal with, saw the potential in that crooked piece and made the effort to get it out of the woods. He wanted some slabs for a couple of coffee tables and knew that I would take the time to saw them out for him. Otherwise, it would have been left for firewood or to rot in the woods.

When you see a finished piece made from stuff like this, whether it be a coffee table or a booked matched panel in a cabinet, its value suddenly becomes apparent :).

But, as you state, "To each his own"  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!