iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love it when that happens. My LT-10

Started by Indiana Robinson, May 30, 2012, 10:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Robinson

I "finally" had an afternoon where I could spend some time getting my LT-10 mill ready. I had checked it over and couldn't find anything wrong with any settings so I just had to cut something. I went looking for something easy to get to so I wouldn't be worn out by the time I got a trial log to the house (remember, I am kind of an old guy). I went back to a tiny woods at one corner of the farm (most of our woods is over in the next county) and I spotted a sycamore that didn't survive the winter. We have had ultra wet springs the last couple of years each followed by serious drought. Quite a few trees just didn't come out this spring. This one was about 17" at the stump and I thought it would make a good trial log. Even though it was dead the wood is in excellent shape. Just to keep things simple I just cut an 8½' log off of the bottom of it since I need a batch of studs for a shed. There are probably 4 more logs left from that tree, progressively smaller of course.
The "I love it" part was that I rolled the log on the mill and from there it all "just worked"... I didn't have to adjust anything.

OK, now I have a problem... I wanted to post a couple of pictures and I do on other forums but none of them are like this one. I have to be missing something obvious??? The help file didn't help. Maybe I am just too tired tonight. Sometimes after a long day things have to jump up and slap me.  ;D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

dgdrls

IR,

I was close to you,  I had to adjust one roller guide and adjust the tensioner,
best of luck with your LT 10.  I'm happy with mine,

DGDrls

thecfarm

Glad you like it!!!

This link is for the pictures.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html

Looks like alot but it is not. Just do it STEP by STEP and it will work. We like it done this way so the picture will always be here. No dreaded red "X" to look at. If you have trouble,just ask. Most times it's jsut because one little step has been missed.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Indiana Robinson

Thanks for the instructions!! :)

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.

Woodsrover

MotorSeven

Looks good! You should get a nice set of studs out of that log.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Indiana Robinson

Here is a picture of the Kasco mill I used to own years ago. Here I was milling some 24' runners for a small rural post office building I was moving about ¼ mile from its lot to a property I owned. I didn't mill a lot of 24' stuff. Most of it closer to 12'.
I was very fond of that mill. I had bought it largely because it was locally produced and I could walk in and get anything I needed for it. Another big factor was that Paul Kaster and my father were good friends from back in the 1940's and I had always liked Paul. He is the one that convinced me when I was buying a planer for my wood shop to buy a Foley-Belsaw 5 HP planer/molder/rip-saw. I was never sorry about the sawmill or planer either one.

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.

Magicman

There will be no holding you back now.   smiley_thumbsup

Now, tell us about da tractor.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Great pictures of your new mill! 8)
As the Magicman observed, tell us about that log-mover.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: clww on May 31, 2012, 05:56:01 PM
Great pictures of your new mill! 8)
As the Magicman observed, tell us about that log-mover.

You don't want to get me started on old tractors...   ;D ;D
That one is a Farmall Super M with a New Idea loader and a Spee-Co 3 point hitch. I have been using it since about 1970. For some years it was one of our primary tillage tractors. In addition to being a Super M it has an over-bore piston set. It has been rebuilt several times. It was originally bought to power a New Idea 2 row mounted corn picker but was replaced for that job by a Farmall Super MTA. Same over-bore set. The S-MTA is a great tractor. It has been a very long time since I ran ear corn.
I have the grill off of the S-M from replacing the sector steering gear and left it off so I can straighten a minor dent that "somebody"  ;) put in it.

BTW, the log shown was transported with my little Ferguson TO-20. It is mechanically good but I need to do some odd jobs to it. I have had it a couple of years but have not had a lot of time to give it.
I have other log haulers.  ;D  Most of my stuff needs work of some sort. I have quite a bit of stuff that I bought a few years ago to keep me out of trouble during retirement. The LT-10 was one of those along with a lot of wood shop stuff and some "spare" old tractors Then I had several bad health years but am better now but am so far behind that I am going to have to live to 125 just to catch up.

I also have a:
Massey Ferguson 165-D (apart for a PTO repair).
Farmall 400 LP (project tractor)
John Deere A (needs restoring but sound)
Minneapolis Moline R (restored and painted)
Allis Chalmers C (restored and painted)
Case VAC (runs good, needs paint)
Case VAC (project tractor)
Farmall F-30 (Project tractor)
Farmall F-12 (project tractor)
Allis Chalmers WC (Project tractor)
Ford 8N (needs minor engine work)
Farmall CUB (runs good)
Massey Harris Pony (runs good)
I guess that is everybody... but my son has a Case VAI that I believe he has lost interest in. Maybe I should offer to buy it from him. It is complete and has a very nice mid mount sickle mower.

One big hang up on many of these tractors is tires. Cheap used tires where you cannot see the air in them are kind of scarce. That and keeping them in batteries.  :o

One of my next log hauling projects is a log arch...

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.

Magicman

Well, you are the tractor man for sure.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

That's 14!!! You have more tractors than I have t shirts.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Indiana Robinson

The Ferguson TO-20 pictured above I bought a few years ago and is not the one I grew up on. The one I grew up on was bought new about 1948 from Paul Kaster (of Kasco sawmills) who had a Ferguson dealership in Fairland IN for some time. Over the early years Paul built a number of items that became fairly well known at least locally. I think about the first was called a utility box which was a very small steel and wood truck bed of sorts that mounted on the 3 point lift. Most of them around today are referred to as a "carry-all". I still have one of his originals but it needs the wood replaced. He later made a farm wagon about the time a lot of farmers started making hopper wagons out of wood and before there were many steel ones like we see today. His was steel but a combination of a hopper bed and a flat bed and you converted it back and forth. It was modestly successful and we had one for a while but sold it after we no longer needed the flat bed.

The tractor I have that I want the most to get around to restoring is the Ford 8N (1948 I believe) I bought a couple of years ago. I had one during the late 1960's but like an idiot I sold it. In my defense I bought it for $500, used it for 8 years (spending almost nothing on it) and sold it for $1,100.
The one I have now has a set of crappy oddball front tires and wheels on the front but I have the proper set to put on it. Someone also has butchered the grill and cobbled a piece of old hammer-mill screen on it. Still over all I believe it is pretty good. Needs some rear wheel seals (common on 8N's). One reason I bought it instead of a better looking one was that it has a 3 range Sherman in it. Overdrive - standard drive - underdrive that is worth about what I paid for the tractor.

I also grew up on a 1942 Ford/Ferguson 9N my father bought new.
In 1953 we got a new Ford Jubilee.
Footnote here. I see all over (especially Craigslist and Ebay) where some guys call about everything Ford built for 20 years a "Jubilee"... ONLY the 1953s that rolled out of the factory with the "Jubilee" badge on the front are Jubilees. It was also a model NAA. The 1954 NAA that was exactly identical but was not badged as a Jubilee was not one. The 9N was first, then the 2N, next the 8N and next the NAA.  :)
I also see a lot of the Ferguson TO-20s and TO-30s advertised as 8Ns.

Here is my running Case VAC:

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.

sandhills

Nice tractors!  I need to get some pics from a good buddy of mine, he has a big sandblaster and a little paint shop.  His whole family is big into old case tractors, I can't tell you how many they have and he has restored/repainted but this winter they got a couple of the old cross mount cases and hope to build one good one out of the two.

samandothers

Nice job on the milling with the LT10 and also the tractors.  You do need a long retirement to get all that stuff done. 8)

thecfarm

You are correct about the NAA's. I have the one my Father bought in 1954. Needs some attention.He bought a 9N but traded it in for the NAA. Better motor,hyds too,bigger tires. I have no idea about the tranny part. But some of those old fords are mighty high geared. The one that my Father bought will just crawl along if you want it too.

Thank You Sponsors!