iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fence post removal

Started by bedway, July 22, 2012, 08:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

I just sold our horse am taking down our small corral. Its those metal "t" posts with the flange on the bottom. Suckers arent deep but ive either hits roots or stone with a lot of them. My front end loader or 3 pt. hitch wont lift em out. Anybody got any ideas?

pineywoods

I pull them with the front end loader on my kubota tractor. Never a problem, but then my kubota is one of the larger ones. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Just hook a chain on them and hitch it to the tractor and drive! ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sparky1

I cant belive your 3 pt wont lift em out!! thats really in there..  If you cant get em out, dig down 6 inches and cut em off with a grinder and bury em them..
Shaun J

blackfoot griz

I have used an old, taller tire rim and a chain. Hook the chain as low on the post run it over the rim with the rim as close as possible to the post and use your truck tractor to pull 'em out. You can usually pull them out with out bending them up.

Good luck

Onthesauk

That tire rim trick works well.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sparky1

Never heard that idea before, but sounds like it would work good!!
Shaun J

Magicman

The truck rim idea is new to me also.

You may have to back the tractor closer to shorten the lift arm, thus increasing the lifting ratio.  Of course then you have also shortened the lift range, but once it moves, it should come out.

If roots have grown over the anchor barb, then digging and cutting as suggested above may be the only answer short of a dozer blade.

I have used a High Lift Jack and also the tool designed for pulling T post, but I doubt that either would have the lift strength of the 3 pt hitch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPIKER

Lots of times a good lever over a rim with a chain around the base works and is pretty quick.  other devices uses a U that drops over the post and when it rotates down it pulls tight and grips the post.     again a long lever you can move the world ;)
::) 8)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sparky1

I have also used a high lift jack too, just put a 4x4 under it so it doesnt dig in to the ground. I have yet to find a post I couldnt pull out.. sometimes i get lazy and dont feel like getting out a tractor.  so  I "wiggle" the post back and forth till it snaps and call it good.
Shaun J

gspren

bedway, when you used the 3 point were you hooking behind an implement like a scraper blade or were you right at the ends of the links? Like Magic said getting the post as close to the rear axle as possible will greatly increase the force of lift.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!